Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
DSEowner

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the coyote motor makes power at the high end,which encourages revving the snot out of it constantly.im thinking that might have something to do with it.and after all,it is a ford...
Holy smokes batman. Someone doesn't know that sentences start with a capital letter and there are spaces after punctuation. My brain motor blows up when I see that crap.

LS3, 6-spd w/ Hurst short shifter, navigation, sunroof, Boston Acoustics, and Borla Type-S cat back exhaust.
DSEowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSEowner View Post
Holy smokes batman. Someone doesn't know that sentences start with a capital letter and there are spaces after punctuation. My brain motor blows up when I see that crap.
Holy smokes, Batman. There, fixed it for you. Glass houses...
Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
You want perfect punctuation....read a book.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Very sorry.I am a 1 finger typist but I used my other other hand just to give you the one capital you requested.I know about capital letters but on the computer I just dont worry about it,Hope you are happy,I had to correct my spelling which is usually not problematic.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #19
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
youre in the wrong place if u care that much about people's punctuation
Old 04-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
V8only

Drives: 2012 camaro 45th 2ss/rs Centri SC
The MT82 actually uses steel forks, not cast aluminum like the older 80's t5's. I've rebuilt a couple..they're crap inside. On stock power levels, second gear dog teeth shave right off. I'm not talking worn, they actually shave the entire dog tooth that the synchro engages right off. They're made in China, and they're weak, which is why they run the tr6060 in the shelby's.

They've made improvements to that trans over the years, but nothing will change the fact that it can't hold up to even stock power levels
-66 mustang fuel injected resto-mod
V8only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #21
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Either way ultimately the flat plane V8s will slowly rock themselves apart. Just a Voodoo issue, not a mod motor issue. That's why "normal" people would only use flat plane crank V8s for race motors that get rebuilt frequently.

I don't know why they used a flat plane crack in that anyway. People have been turning 8000rpm in 5.0s since they came out. It's not like it was a necessary decision.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8only View Post
The MT82 actually uses steel forks, not cast aluminum like the older 80's t5's. I've rebuilt a couple..they're crap inside. On stock power levels, second gear dog teeth shave right off. I'm not talking worn, they actually shave the entire dog tooth that the synchro engages right off. They're made in China, and they're weak, which is why they run the tr6060 in the shelby's.

They've made improvements to that trans over the years, but nothing will change the fact that it can't hold up to even stock power levels
I had a 94 cobra with "enhancements" and I blew up my T5 3 times -- all three times shifting into 3rd with the go pedal pressed about 1/4 to half-way. I kept thinking it was an anomaly, so, I fixed it every time - only to have it break again. After the third time, my x-wife would not let me bring it home. I had it parked for 6 months before I sold it with a broken tranny. believe it or not, that car actually contributed to a dark time in my life. Ever since then, I have hated Fords.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #23
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Jesus Christ! Spelling and punctuation corrections?

We are Camaro owners. You are lucky we can read.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #24
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
I had a 94 cobra with "enhancements" and I blew up my T5 3 times -- all three times shifting into 3rd with the go pedal pressed about 1/4 to half-way. I kept thinking it was an anomaly, so, I fixed it every time - only to have it break again. After the third time, my x-wife would not let me bring it home. I had it parked for 6 months before I sold it with a broken tranny. believe it or not, that car actually contributed to a dark time in my life. Ever since then, I have hated Fords.
Consider your self lucky to have had that day of reckoning and emerged from the dark side a wiser person some never learn. Me, I’m lucky enough to say that short of an F250 company truck I’ve always been able to avoid the blue oval mistake.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #25
V8only

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
I've rebuilt hundreds of t5's, they're actually great trannies...The problem is that you weren't lifting when you shifted. Even a little throttle can hurt them. They have very small gears, so high impact shifting and over aggressive clutches will kill them.

I've built many t5's behind 450hp 5.0's that hold up without issues, but there is certainly an art to knowing how to drive them so you don't grenade the trans. Of course, granny shifting takes the fun out of things.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #26
JoelNR
King of the Lurkers

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (Victory Red)
Quote:
The MT82 actually uses steel forks, not cast aluminum like the older 80's t5's.
Sadly, they switched to aluminum on the 18+ models which is why they're failing at such low mileage on relatively stock cars.

The go:
ESS supercharger kit, Speed Engineering headers, NGK TR6IX plugs, ZR1 MAP sensor, DSS driveshaft, BMR trailing arms & toe rods.
610 HP/556 TQ. Tuned by Ryan at KC Maxx Performance.

The less important bits:
MRR 228s, SLP front lip, ZL1 grille (no bowtie), Z28 spoiler with ZL1 Addons wickerbill, RPID tow hook, Sparks Restoration SS trunk emblem, ZL1 rear & Phastek front rock guards.
JoelNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:28 PM   #27
V8only

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelNR View Post
Sadly, they switched to aluminum on the 18+ models which is why they're failing at such low mileage on relatively stock cars.
Seriously? LOL! That was the one thing I was almost impressed about when I pulled it apart, the steel forks.

Damn. When you buy replacement parts for the internals, I had to go to Ford, and they come in a ford bag that says in giant words made in china lol.

After rebuilding two of them, I quickly decided to turn them down from then on out, as I wasn't confident that they wouldn't just break again and again and again.

This is the sole reason I bought the camaro over the mustang (that and pushrods)...however second gear grind on my camaro, LOL...At least I have a trans worth building though.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #28
JoelNR
King of the Lurkers

Drives: 2010 SS/RS (Victory Red)
Quote:
Seriously? LOL! That was the one thing I was almost impressed about when I pulled it apart, the steel forks.

Damn. When you buy replacement parts for the internals, I had to go to Ford, and they come in a ford bag that says in giant words made in china lol.

After rebuilding two of them, I quickly decided to turn them down from then on out, as I wasn't confident that they wouldn't just break again and again and again.

This is the sole reason I bought the camaro over the mustang (that and pushrods)...however second gear grind on my camaro, LOL...At least I have a trans worth building though.

I know, right!?

For reference, check Ford TSBs 18-2267 and 2175. They acknowledge that there may be problems with the shift forks and provide guidance on what to do if a problem arises.

The go:
ESS supercharger kit, Speed Engineering headers, NGK TR6IX plugs, ZR1 MAP sensor, DSS driveshaft, BMR trailing arms & toe rods.
610 HP/556 TQ. Tuned by Ryan at KC Maxx Performance.

The less important bits:
MRR 228s, SLP front lip, ZL1 grille (no bowtie), Z28 spoiler with ZL1 Addons wickerbill, RPID tow hook, Sparks Restoration SS trunk emblem, ZL1 rear & Phastek front rock guards.
JoelNR is offline   Reply With Quote