Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
jtessmer

Drives: 2012 SS Convertible 45th Ann.
Old Guy Exhaust recommendation

I just bought a 2012 45th Anniversary SS Convertible with the 6 speed. It's my first Camaro since the 1972 coupe I had in high school (i'm 50)

Since I live in Wisconsin I flew to Ohio, drove it home, washed it and parked it in the garage until spring. Now I'll have sometime to do few tasteful mods like lowering springs and a little more throaty exhaust.

I've searched through these threads, listened to a dozens exhaust videos on Youtube, but I'm still not yet sure which system is for me.

Looking for a simple axelback system that will give me a little more umph but not piss of the neighbors. And I have the convertible so no drone is a most. You know...an old guy, wife friendly exhaust...
jtessmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
chipper44

Drives: 2013 2SSRS
Hi. Im new to the Gen5 camaro's as well. I bought a 2013 SS and after watching numerous videos, I couldn't decide either. I finally decided on a muffler delete and I couldnt be happier. Just enough deep rumble when you stomp on it and nice and quiet under normal driving. Im older as well, and didnt want anything obnoxious. Hope this helps.
chipper44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
jtessmer

That does help. What exhaust did you buy?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
My Solo exhaust was wife approved and loved by me. It wasn’t bad with headers even. Zero drone and mild when cruising yet true classic American muscle sound when you get on it.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
My Solo exhaust was wife approved and loved by me. It wasn’t bad with headers even. Zero drone and mild when cruising yet true classic American muscle sound when you get on it.

Beat me to it. I really recommend the Solo catback in this situation. Enough volume to make it sound like a muscle car but totally easy to drive daily. Neighbors might notice it but they won't complain. They might even thank you.

We usually consider the Solo high flow cats paired with the Solo MachXL catback as one of the best sounds you can buy. The high flow cats add a little extra bark and some extra power too. Very mature mods.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Install electric cutouts,you can tune how loud you want your exhaust to be,open all the way OR partially open a, little muffled.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Install the Corsa Xtreme 3 inch catback and don't look back.Really loud when you get on it but great at cruising. Zero drone. And its loud in a good way.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
These are good choices, and ones I would chose. I run the magnaflow 3” competition catback.Paired with shorty headers it sounds good.
Nice deep base and rumble. I have Same issues as you with the wife and neighbors. Had hiflow cats but made it to boomy at low rpm. Dont care to advertise anymore (older then you) and with new noise laws here in Kali ��would rather not stand out
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Or.....save a perfectly good 2.5" dual exhaust system and swap mufflers......or add some hi Flo cats w/muffler swap..
Or....stock exhaust, hi Flo cats and headers. No drone, sounds good at idle and only gets loud when get on it. PLUS you gain some gumption......
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
jtessmer

So far I like what I've read on the Solo Exhaust website and their axle back system, especially because they talk specifically about the sound in the convertible. Thanks for sharing, I would not have found that on my own. Replacing the mufflers only might be another less expensive option. I've got to research that more. I believe I can find the sound I want, just working form the axle back.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Be careful when just swapping mufflers. We've welded in aftermarket mufflers on a few cars and while it sounded great on the outside of the car they almost always had drone issues. A solo axleback is a great cost effective way to sound great with no drone. Only issue there is if you decide to go with long tubes down the road. The Solo axleback technically does not have a muffler (it uses the factory resonators to keep the sound down) and with long tubes it can be pretty aggressive. If headers are not in your future it'll be a great option.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Be careful when just swapping mufflers. We've welded in aftermarket mufflers on a few cars and while it sounded great on the outside of the car they almost always had drone issues. A solo axleback is a great cost effective way to sound great with no drone. Only issue there is if you decide to go with long tubes down the road. The Solo axleback technically does not have a muffler (it uses the factory resonators to keep the sound down) and with long tubes it can be pretty aggressive. If headers are not in your future it'll be a great option.
I went with Solo's Mach XL catback and so I had a muffler still, technically when I did my long tube headers. The sound got a little loud at WOT and high RPMs, but it was still great. Adding a cam has made the car even louder. I still haven't done a full pull yet as the weather turned south before I got a chance to really let her rip. It isn't unbearable nor is it unenjoyable. The only I did have to do was I had to adjust the J pipes after the cam because I picked up some low end drone. Until that point the car was drone free even with long tube headers and AFM still enabled.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #13
dino2012ls3

Drives: 2012 ls3
I loved the muffler delete as well before the headers and cat deletes. Be young again and cherish your old wisdom
dino2012ls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #14
PatCam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Exhaust

If you put on the Solo axelback, do you have to tune the engine? What are the J pipes for and do you have to add anything to the car to hang them? It looks like there are separate hangers for the J pipes?
Thanks
Pat Mills(Mr.)
PatCam is offline   Reply With Quote