Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
JohnyBoy

Drives: GM car
Should I tune?

Hey all,

On my '12 six banger, at what point in the modding game should I tune it? Or should I even have to tune it at all with just a CAI intake and an SLP LM2? Still new at this so can someone clarify what exactly does a tune do for your car and when/if it should be done at all? Thanks guys.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
chevyboy01438

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I would get an SXT tuner from Ted Jannety (jannetyracing.com) They can improve your car with just those mods and if/when you add more on later just email him and he can modify your tune for those mods!!!

11/30/17 | Club F1FTY
chevyboy01438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
JohnyBoy

Drives: GM car
I've heard great things about Jannety racing and the team. But is it absolutely necessary to have it tuned with the two mods I have? Apparently tuning is the holy grail of voiding a warranty and that's why I'm a bit skeptical.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #4
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
YES!

Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
its not worth "possibly losing" powertrain warranty for only a CAI.

Lose the CAI and keep your warranty or keep it but get a tune (gain 20hp??lol) if you dont, those can screw with stock tune quite a bit.

Personally, stay with the OEM airbox.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
a tune will correct the epa tune from GM you will have more power and better fuel milage (depending on vehicle). on automatic cars it will shift better. A tune doent need to be done unless you do long tube headers but it will improve a stock car some.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Why do you want to tune your V6? I wouldn't touch it unless headers or some forced induction goes on. No reason to.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Yea not until u have more mods unless u really don't give a crap about warranty. But seeing u have a V6 I think u do care
Old 06-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy01438 View Post
I would get an SXT tuner from Ted Jannety (jannetyracing.com) They can improve your car with just those mods and if/when you add more on later just email him and he can modify your tune for those mods!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
I've heard great things about Jannety racing and the team. But is it absolutely necessary to have it tuned with the two mods I have? Apparently tuning is the holy grail of voiding a warranty and that's why I'm a bit skeptical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
YES!

Thank you for the recommendations and props gentlemen.

We do not have V6 support with SCT but do have support with HPtuners on the V6 and we are tuning them on our dyno only at this time.

Thanks again.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote