Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #29
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
I am sure they are blending gas for the 88 and 91. The giveaway is the two tone colors of the octanes from the left and right of them. Also, no reason for that many octanes. Stick with the usual 87, 89, and 93.

I personally only use 93 in all my vehicles. Cars seem to run better and get better MPG.
Good catch on the two-tone colors surrounding the 2nd and 4th octane buttons! I wouldn't have even thought about that until you said something!

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #30
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Worked at a service station in HS. The tanker trucks have a compartment filled with Lowest Octane and compartment filled with Highest Octane ... the gas pump automatically blends the two when dispensing the middle grades.
The amount of residual fuel in the pumps hose from a previous customer would have no noticeable affect on the octane value for the next customer in line when they fill up their tank. The internal diameter of the pump fill hose is much less then it appears; for safety reasons, there is a very thick multi layer wall and steel grounding cables - anti snap cables that runs from the pump to the nozzle. Had a customer try to drive off before the nozzle was removed from their car's filler neck and the hose was strong enough to stop the car ... until the driver stomped on the gas pedal. This was back when the car gas tanks and filler pipes were both made of steel and the filler pipe was firmly attached to the car.
On more than one occasion, after the car's tank is filled, had customers get out and shut off the pump, then press the nozzle handle, raise and lower the hose to let the residual fuel drip out to their car's tank, moving the nozzle out a ways they discover not much in there to bother with.

There are many stories about water getting in the car's tank after fill-up making a bad mix or causing cars to stall ...
the way the station tanks are designed there is a pipe that sticks up from the bottom of the tank which then runs to the gas pump. Any water in the gas sinks to the bottom of the tank. The station tanks do have water accumulate in the bottom of the tank, however, it is a relatively small quantity and extremely unlikely it would build up enough to reach the height of the intake pipe running to the pump. The station staff and tanker driver are suppose to put a chemical paste on the measuring stick and lower that in the station's tanks after each fuel truck delivery to monitor the water level as a precaution, at the same time they measure to verify quantity of fuel delivered (the white paste turns a dark color when water is present and detects exactly how thick the water layer is at the bottom of the tank.).

Here is a Nine-Grade pump pic I posted in the other related thread:

Ron
Ron, that was probably before Ethanol. That crap absorbs water - I would think that the Water level in Tanks is higher now!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #31
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroVert View Post
I finally got back to that station in Orlando that had five grades of gas. This time I photographed the pricing. Nowhere on the pump does it mention it's blending two grades to come up with five grades but I doubt they have five different tanks. I didn't think to look this time.
Looks like a 7-11 Pump, I would never buy Gas there!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #32
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
I have been told by several other muscle car owners to NOT USE any gas for a V8 engine that has ETHANOL in it. I see in the picture that all of the choices contain "less than 10% Ethanol. Therefore, I seek out gas stations that clearly advertise NO ETHANOL. Near me, I have found that FASTRAC gas stations have this option in their 91 Octane choice. I wish they had the 93, but I don't believe that between 91 and 93 that I would notice much difference in power.
In most parts of the country that is almost impossible to find ethanol free fuel....i wish i could but there is no stations anywhere in northern Illinois that is within 80 miles....
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #33
Windycity

Drives: Yellow 1le
Quote:
There's plenty of marinas selling it in my area. Do they only sell to the boats? I'm sure the price would be higher.
Marina prices are crazy high...most people i know with boats fill them up at regular gas stations on the trailer before they get to the lake..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
The question is...is it top tier gas.

I don't go to stations that don't use top-tier. I would suspect this place you're at isn't...I could be wrong though.

I have never used anything but premium on my SS, my Z51 or my Z06. It's nice that it's 93 out east, however we only get up to 91 or 92 out here in Washington State.
Honestly all fuel is raw fuel regardless of the brand...i work at a facility that holds fuel in half million gallon tanks (they have a 60 tanks) after its refined....its where the semis come to fill up and bring to service stations and its all the same....only difference is that companies add more or less detergents but raw fuel is the same across the board regardless of the name on the station. There is no special fuel tanks for particular name brand fuel companies.....Bobs country store probably gets raw fuel from the same tank as the BP station across the street
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #34
BlkCamaroVert

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99 Vert IO Interior
Quote:
The question is...is it top tier gas.

I don't go to stations that don't use top-tier. I would suspect this place you're at isn't...I could be wrong though.

I have never used anything but premium on my SS, my Z51 or my Z06. It's nice that it's 93 out east, however we only get up to 91 or 92 out here in Washington State.
How do you know if it's "top tier"? It was a 7-11. When I'm in town I use Marathon. They say the detergent is STP.
BlkCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #35
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
How do you know if it's "top tier"? It was a 7-11. When I'm in town I use Marathon. They say the detergent is STP.
There's generally a list of brands that you can rely on being "top-tier". 7-11 is NOT one of those companies.

Here's a list I just found

Generally I use Shell, Chevron, 76 and Conoco depending on where I am in the country.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #36
BlkCamaroVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Looks like a 7-11 Pump, I would never buy Gas there!
You're right! I normally don't but I thought it was the last station before the turnpike. Then this last time I wanted to get the picture for the group. I didn't notice any difference BTW. I was under the impression gas all comes from the same place only the detergent is labeled different. The detergent is probably Liquid Prell anyway.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #37
BlkCamaroVert

Quote:
There's generally a list of brands that you can rely on being "top-tier". 7-11 is NOT one of those companies.

Generally I use Shell, Chevron, 76 and Conoco depending on where I am in the country.
This is an interesting post from a fuel tanker driver. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=277725

"Additives in gasoline are just like additives in oil; they are "added" to the base product. All gas begins as pretty much the same stuff. Regular unlead and premium for all oil terminals in a given area comes up the same pipeline. We pull off of Colonial Pipeline in this area, and a small bit off a branch pipeline called Plantation Pipeline. When Citgo, Chevron, Conoco, Amoco, Texaco, Shell, and the rest fill their huge terminal storage tanks the gas comes off the same pipeline at pretty much the same time. There is one exception: Amoco Ultimate Premium is refined an extra step,"
Old 06-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #38
BlkCamaroVert

Quote:

The top-tier standards seem to be about the quality/quantity of the detergent rather than the gas itself. I was reading on another forum that people were choosing 7-11 gas because it had less detergents (and less ethanol?) and their cars ran better because of it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/2074444/1
Old 06-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #39
Husker67

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS 1LE Wild Cherry
Use 93 only here
Husker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #40
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
2.29... wow. 87 here is 2.85 across the street.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote