Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
easttexas903

Drives: 2011 SS
brakes

I had my brake pads changed at a local discount tire. They are squealing bad. What pads do you guys recommend?
easttexas903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
If you haven't done so already, you may want to try 'bedding' (seating) the brakes; this will normally eliminate any squealing. Here's the process in case you are unfamiliar with it:

1 - Find an open stretch of road that will allow you to safely stop your vehicle multiple times

2 - Accelerate to 35 mph and apply moderate brake pressure to reduce your speed to 5-10 MPH. Repeat this process 3-4 times, the goal is to warm up your brake pads

3 - Increase your speed to 45 mph and braking down to 10 mph. Repeat this process 3-4 times

It’s important to avoid coming to a complete stop during this stage as it’s possible to melt brake pads against hot rotors.

Park the car and allow the brakes to fully cool for an hour. For best results, avoid pressing down on the brake pedal when parked

Good luck
Old 03-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Did you get new rotors too?

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
easttexas903

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
Did you get new rotors too?

I did.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
easttexas903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
If you haven't done so already, you may want to try 'bedding' (seating) the brakes; this will normally eliminate any squealing. Here's the process in case you are unfamiliar with it:

1 - Find an open stretch of road that will allow you to safely stop your vehicle multiple times

2 - Accelerate to 35 mph and apply moderate brake pressure to reduce your speed to 5-10 MPH. Repeat this process 3-4 times, the goal is to warm up your brake pads

3 - Increase your speed to 45 mph and braking down to 10 mph. Repeat this process 3-4 times

It’s important to avoid coming to a complete stop during this stage as it’s possible to melt brake pads against hot rotors.

Park the car and allow the brakes to fully cool for an hour. For best results, avoid pressing down on the brake pedal when parked

Good luck
Thanks I'll give it a try!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttexas903 View Post
I did.
Did ya turn them? I always turn my new rotors before installing. Maybe not necessary, but I don't have any squeeling issues, even with Duralast brake pads.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:52 PM   #7
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Just for those struggling with this...

When Should You Turn Brake Rotors?

January 27, 2012
1 Comments
Email

Knowing when to turn brake rotors is important as it can save you a substantial amount of money and ensure your car remains safe to drive. Turning brake rotors is a term that is used to describe machining, or lathing, brake rotors down to remove the excess brake material from your pads and to prevent warping and grinding, thus extending the life of your brake pads. Turning a rotor allows for smooth braking action and creates less heat then those that are warped.
Typically you want to have your rotors turned every other brake change. This ensures that they remain free of debris and do not warp. Regular brake wear and hot spots can often cause your rotors to become warped and having them turned will ensure that they last as long as possible before having to be replaced.
If your rotor surface is smooth there is generally no need to have them turned. If, however, you have warping, or rough spots they should be turned, or replaced if need be. This is easily detected if you have a solid, non-pulsing braking action when you press down on the pedal.
Those with the money may wish to have their rotors turned every time they have their pads done. This will ensure the maximum amount of life to the brake pads. Realistically rotors can only be turned so much before they need to be replaced. Always make sure you consult with your mechanic prior to any work in order to ensure your rotors need to be turned or replaced.

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...n-brake-rotors
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:50 AM   #8
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
What pads did you get? I have the EBC reds and no squealing.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:18 AM   #9
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
I had the same issue when I installed my R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors. I used CRC Brake and Caliper grease on all of the metal to metal contact points and no more squeal.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote