Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Key Fob distance diminishing quickly?

Some background: I've had the car less than a year, and it's got just shy of 15K miles on it.

I just noticed on my key fob that the distance it's able to lock/unlock the car has diminished GREATLY. I used to be able to hit it from about 200-300 feet away. The other day, I tried hitting it from about 6 cars down (I'd say about 100-150 feet) and it wouldn't work. I had to get to about 50 feet away for it to work. The only caveat being that there were cars in between Sofia and I, but I also remember last year bragging that I could find my car in the parking lot at Dodger Stadium using the panic button and I was FAR from the car (close to 300 feet I'd say). In October, I went to an amusement park and remember that it didn't work all that close either, but didn't think much of it until this recent time, where I was about 3 cars away before it locked.

I don't know what I should do, and to be truthful, I'm kind of embarassed to mention it to the dealer, but it just doesn't work like it used to. Just wanted to see if anyone out there had any similar issues with their key fob.
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Maybe put a new battery in it?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
Maybe put a new battery in it?
I figured it might be that obviously, but is it normal for the battery to start dying within 10 months ????
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
hold it up to your jaw and hit unlock I'm not kidding your body can boost the signal I laughed so hard the first time I tried it, oh yea and replace your battery.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcthulhu View Post
hold it up to your jaw and hit unlock I'm not kidding your body can boost the signal I laughed so hard the first time I tried it, oh yea and replace your battery.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Have you tried the other Key Fob? Does it do the same thing? If it does take to the dealer, if it doesn't change the battery.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Do you have a Scosche kit installed?

Ive had my camaro for almost 3 years and i haven't noticed the signal diminish, but i usually unlock/lock the car when im within 10 feet or so.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I've had the same issue, I replaced my batteries in both fobs, issue is still there.

Only had my car 5 months, and bought new.

I have noticed it seems to be area related, at work I am around the L.A. County Train Yard, and the L.A. County Fire Dept. MIS and 911 dispatch center, both are within 1/2 mile and there is a ton of radio antenna and cell repeater towers over here.

At home I have no issue, works from a few hundred feet away.

At some shopping centers same issue, others not so much.

Didn't have the issue at the dealer when I mentioned it to them, was able to remote start the car in the service isle from the far end of the new car lot, probably 400 feet away.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Might be radio interference from the area you are in. Around my house in the country I have really good range, around work in Austin not nearly as good. My wife's Equinox does have much better range than my Camaro does though, for grins and giggles I started it while I was in the mall and we were parked on the end of the lot. Surprised that it was running when we got there.