Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #1
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Tire brands/models decisions

Well, after 49K, it's time to replace my P-Zeros. I've decided I want an All Season tire as I do plan to maybe hit the mountain a few times before I move on to another car (I snowboard), plus, the P-Zeros flat out sucked in rain.

It boils down to these options (from Tire Rack of course):

Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals: $662
General AS-03: $688
Goodyear Eagle Sport: $766
Continental DWS: $930
(All prices for tires, before tax and shipping.)

While I understand everyone here loves the DWS, I wanted to get anyone's opinions on the other tires, taking PRICE into consideration. Are the DWS worth an extra $300???? Is Goodyear the sweet spot for price and performance???? Are AS-03 really that noisy???? Am I asking for trouble with the Firestone's???? Etc, etc.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty easy on my tires. I don't lay much rubber, but the rain handling on the P-Zero's was no bueno to me, if that helps. I'd just like a tire that handles rain like a champ and can take a bit of snow should I take it to the mountain, and will last (not that I'm complaining that I got 50K on my P-Zeros by any stretch)

Anyone who has experience with any of these tires and would like to chime in on positives, negatives, regrets, etc, please, feel free. Thank you.
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
ChevyAV03

Drives: 03 Z71 AV PM; 14 Convert 2ss/rs AGM
mexiken

Goodyear Eagle Sport: $766 (did not look at)

I went through all the tries except the Goodyears (so won't comment on these, probably a good tire but would require research)
Really wanted to like the firehawks but just couldn't because they didn't give enough for wet or dry its like they had an identity cirsis when I was comparing them to be closest to the P-zerso during the dry days and a good tire for some light snow - again based on my research, mileage may vary

The Generals are a directional tire and cannot be rotated side to side (this can lead to some cupping and louder road noise) if you're looking to get more mileage out of the tire. They are good up to 3" of snow brand new. Still a great tire for the price and since you don't have a convertible probably not as big of deal to you

DWS my choice and has been great so far wet, dry, and light snow
can be rotated side to side
can handle up to 4" snow new (these figures were giving to me by multiple tire guys as I was trying to narrow down)
longer tread life than the Generals

Both General and Continentals are made by the same company and the General is the save money brand and there is nothing wrong with them as many members here have sworn by them as I read through.

I agree that wet with P-zeros was not the best but they still did a decent job

IMHO I would get the DWS again with no issues, but if you are on a budget and can stand a little more road noise then the Generals are you next best match for you

Good luck in whatever decision you go with

Had 2~3k on the P-zeros before switching the my DWS and have close to 6~7k (i think I'm between 9k to 10k on the odometer) Have the P-zeros sitting in a corner with the possibility of them going back on during the summer but the ride and my spirited driving I did with the P-zeros in the same area has produced the similar results for dry driving, a bit stiffer on an all season but still a fun drive

wet was no contest I didn't have to baby as much as I did with the P-zeros, and the light snow was so light I couldn't tell a difference

And since you're out in Cali snow is probably the least of your worries
Doesn't mean you might not drive out the to mountains at some point

Anyways I will let other explain to hopefully help you out better in your decision as it's not an easy decision when trying to find the right tire for your budget and your driving conditions/style
ChevyAV03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Drives: 2011 1LT Synergy Green
I'm in the same boat as you . Trying to decide on the tires . Between the G -MAX and the DWS . Good prices , What size are you going . I'm going with 20 by 8.5 wheels & Tires are 245/ 45R20 . My prices I found were a bit higher on the tires , But I was getting a wheel tire package which includes TPMS sensors & mounting & balance. Shipped . for all four . Right now my difference going from the Generals to the Continentals is $190.00 difference. But I also would gain another 10,000 miles on tries . Trying to decide if its worth another $190.00 , Actually I know it is ...LOL But I could use the other money for other upgrades ...Man I feel your pain . LMK what you decide and any more info on these would be great .

General AS-03: $688 Rated for 40,000

Continental DWS: $930 Rated for 50,000
BIO-HAZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
TopL3ssSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Wow, 49k on P-zeros! I thought I was easy on my car, and only got 17k out of mine before replacement in November. Granted they were only worn to 75% gone, at 4/32's of tread left, but with winter coming, & rebates available on most brands, seemed the time to jump. Did the summer tire thing last winter - never again!

Am also a TireRack fan, and an EBates fan for big online purchases. TireRack offers an additional 3% rebate on purchases made thru EBates, definitely worth considering. Was worth ~$23 on my tire purchase, which is not included in my calculation of price/performance ratios below. If you're interested, and would like to use me as your referrer, hit this link & sign up: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrer...3Dp%2Bww%3D%3D

Back In November, when I had the same decision to make, and ~$1200 total to spend on tires, ceramic brakes, and installation, I looked at the same brands. My car's a daily driver, am relatively easy on her, so am interested in high ratings for wet/dry traction, tread wear, the ability to drive in an occasional 2-3 inches of snow, and calculated price/performance ratio($.01/mi).

GoodYear Eagle Sport - there were no reviews available on Camaro5 at the time, but TireRack had a good research report, and the tire ratings numbers were similar to Continentals. At the time I purchased, GoodYear offered a $60 rebate. Bottom line, a 50,000 mile tire for $714+shipping, with rebate offered the best price/performance ratio ($0.014/mi) & pushed me over the edge. Today, at $766 for a set & no rebate, they still offer the best ratio ($0.0153/mi).

So far, I have about 1000 miles on the Goodyears & love them. Road noise is much lower than with the P-Zeros - life's good. No snow to drive in this winter.

Why not the others? It came down to math...

Continentals had high reviews, and high tread wear ratings at around 50,000 miles. Wanted these when I started the research, but at $950+shipping, would've blown the budget, for a tire with the nearly the same tire ratings as the Goodyears. Price/performance ($0.019); 35% higher than the Goodyear Sports.

General as-03's: these had high reviews, but I saw a lot of concerns about road noise once they were broken in, and given I have a convertible, didn't want any more noise than what I have already. Price was around $688 for a 40,000 mile tire. Basically, for the same money, am getting 10,000 free miles with the GoodYears. Price/performance ($0.0172/mi); or 25% higher than Goodyears.

FireStone Wide Oval: also a 40,000 mile tire, at the time, they were $662, and offering a weekend retreat for buying a set of 4... If it had been a rebate vs a vacation, I'd have probably gone here, as the terms of the vacation weren't acceptable (schedule & use within 30 days of purchase). So, assuming no rebate, the price/performance ratio was too high ($0.01655/mi); or 18% higher than Goodyears.

While we're at it, assuming 25,000 mile average life on the P-Zeros at a cost today of $842, the price/performance ratio would be ($0.034/mi).

Hope this helps you out & good luck with the search.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
We had rain all day yesterday which changed to freezing rain last night followed by 1-3" of snow. I had to pick my daughter up from a dance studio sleepover this morning. The money spent on the Continental DWS is worth every last penny. I trust my SS in those conditions more than my wife's Grand Caravan. After watching 4x4s slipping on takeoff in this mess while my SS just roll backed on its haunches and pushed forward I am deeply impressed. Here in the Midwest we've had everything from the foul weather last night to 60s and sunny in the last 6 weeks and these tires have handled it all with composure.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
chuckclanton

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiken View Post
Well, after 49K, it's time to replace my P-Zeros. I've decided I want an All Season tire as I do plan to maybe hit the mountain a few times before I move on to another car (I snowboard), plus, the P-Zeros flat out sucked in rain.

It boils down to these options (from Tire Rack of course):

Goodyear Eagle Sport: $766
(All prices for tires, before tax and shipping.)

While I understand everyone here loves the DWS, I wanted to get anyone's opinions on the other tires, taking PRICE into consideration. Are the DWS worth an extra $300???? Is Goodyear the sweet spot for price and performance???? Are AS-03 really that noisy???? Am I asking for trouble with the Firestone's???? Etc, etc.

Keep in mind, I'm pretty easy on my tires. I don't lay much rubber, but the rain handling on the P-Zero's was no bueno to me, if that helps. I'd just like a tire that handles rain like a champ and can take a bit of snow should I take it to the mountain, and will last (not that I'm complaining that I got 50K on my P-Zeros by any stretch)

Anyone who has experience with any of these tires and would like to chime in on positives, negatives, regrets, etc, please, feel free. Thank you.
consumers report rates the cooper RS3-A as the best allseason tire. about $700 for all.
chuckclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Hey all,

First and foremost, let me say thank you to everyone who chimed in and helped out. As a little back story, I used to be VERY active in this forum, and ended up taking a step back because the people frequenting the forums were, not always helpful, or pleasant. I am happy to find that at least, in the tire section, that isn't the case now. I sincerely appreciate everyone's input.

I ended up going with the Goodyear Eagle Sports as I've read good reviews on them, and ultimately, I wasn't too keen on spending that much more for the DWS because even though the "all season" benefit was better, I may take Sofia to the snow maybe less than a handful of times, and California is going through the worst drought in decades. Also, Goodyear is offering a rebate on the tires via their website with the purchase of tires from them or a service network location.

Which brings me to my next point. I was all set to order them from Tire Rack, when I happened to look on the Goodyear website and found the rebate and a dealer very close to me. I called them, and was floored. They very nearly BEAT Tire Rack's price after tax and shipping. Except, this was INSTALLED. After the rebate they actually will. Was looking forward to the ebates deal but ultimately it still would have cost me more money.

Thanks again.
Engine/Performance: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Rx Catch Can painted IBM, (to come: JacFab CAI, muffler delete/Flowmasters)

mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
happycamper

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 AGM
Wow, you get 49k from your P-Zeros on an SS! That's impressive.

I only got 29k and I don't drive hard.

I studied the reviews and ordered the GMAX. Most reviews on tirerack said they were quieter than the Pirelli's... we'll see.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
ChevyAV03

Drives: 03 Z71 AV PM; 14 Convert 2ss/rs AGM
Glad you found a tire that will work for you, please revisit after some miles on them and let us know. I'm always wanting to know more about tires, in a good position to afford tires for my vehicles but if they're a good tire and last awhile then I'm willing to try them out next time I need new all seasons
ChevyAV03 is offline   Reply With Quote