Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-06-2023, 03:13 PM   #1
Bow94z

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
Trailing Arms and Toe Rods

Looking for advice. After some searching i am finding mixed reviews if upgrading trailing arms and toe rods are worth it.

Stock 2015 SS M6 with mods in sig. Car is mainly a street car with some 1/4 track time.

I will be upgrading to Rear solid cradle bushings and 3:91/Trutrac and looking for a few more upgrades while the rear end is being worked on.

I was going to put in Differential bushings but I think I am going to stick with factory rubber as i don't want added noise.

I am thinking about BMR non adjustable Trailing and Toe rods. Car will maintain stock ride height.

Or should I try and find z28 trailing arms and toe rods?

feedback appreicated!
4:10's, Trutrac
Solid Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe and Trailing arms
Bow94z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:03 PM   #2
bstromback2002

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I have a spare set of adjustable toe rods still brand new in the box if you do decide to go that route. I can’t really comment on the improvement since I did so much to the car at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bstromback2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:37 PM   #3
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Z/28 toe rods and trailing arms are the same as the SS 1LE and ZL1
Old 03-06-2023, 07:03 PM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Z/28 toe rods and trailing arms are the same as the SS 1LE and ZL1
If memory serves, the Z/28 trailing arms use a stiffer inboard bushing than the 1LE and ZL1 (and SS and V6 - all the same), as well as a stiffer outboard bushing at the knuckle end but you'll need to buy the whole knuckle to get it. At least this is what my research told me a few years ago when I decided to upgrade to the Z/28 parts.

In any case, stiffer rear components will help keep the rear planted and reduce dynamic alignment changes when accelerating/braking hard which is useful for launching the car/having fun. I say dooo iiit! Noticed a difference in my V6 so I can imagine the difference will be even more noticeable in a V8.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:45 PM   #5
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
your worried about noise so ur putting in solid cradle bushings but keeping stock diff bushings?
if that's the case don't go solid and just get the bmr complete poly bushing kit or at least cradle and diff.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:45 PM   #6
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
If memory serves, the Z/28 trailing arms use a stiffer inboard bushing than the 1LE and ZL1 (and SS and V6 - all the same), as well as a stiffer outboard bushing at the knuckle end but you'll need to buy the whole knuckle to get it. At least this is what my research told me a few years ago when I decided to upgrade to the Z/28 parts.

In any case, stiffer rear components will help keep the rear planted and reduce dynamic alignment changes when accelerating/braking hard which is useful for launching the car/having fun. I say dooo iiit! Noticed a difference in my V6 so I can imagine the difference will be even more noticeable in a V8.
I stand corrected. Here are the part #s

Trailing Arms:
Z/28 (FE6) 23104900
All others (FE2, FE3, FE4, FE5) 92246140

The toe rods are the same between the Z/28, ZL1 and SS 1LE:
Old 03-07-2023, 05:32 AM   #7
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
your worried about noise so ur putting in solid cradle bushings but keeping stock diff bushings?
if that's the case don't go solid and just get the bmr complete poly bushing kit or at least cradle and diff.
I did solid cradle bushings and didn't notice much if any extra noise/vibrations. Going from the old style inboard-mount rear sway bar (which I believe was 22mm diameter and hollow) to the new style outboard-mount bar by JPSS (32mm and solid) made a huuuge difference (mainly with body roll, but helped reduce wheel hop when launching too), and then later on when I added solid cradle bushings the difference felt almost the same as when going from the old to new rear bar.

You definitely won't regret doing the solid cradle bushings. Again, was a noticeable difference in the V6 so I'm sure the benefits on a V8 will be that much better.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:08 AM   #8
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
If you are spending money on toe rods and trailing arms, go with aftermarket as there is not much difference with the Z28 units. They don't add NVH and are way stronger.

Did not see a lot of NVH from solid cradle bushings, but did see a lot of NVH with Delrin diff bushings. The Delrin diff bushings did allow my deaf ass to hear the diff whining on acceleration, so now I know the pinion bearings are going.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:38 AM   #9
Bow94z

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
Correct. Seems like most feedback i read about solid cradle bushings do not add alot of noise, but the diff bushings do.

for ~$300, i think aftermarket trailing and toe rods are the way to go while the cradle is dropped on the car.
4:10's, Trutrac
Solid Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe and Trailing arms
Bow94z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #10
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I put the Dorman replacement toe rods on my ZL1 4 years and 30K miles ago, they have been solid.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:11 PM   #11
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Go aftermarket toe, trailing and lower control arms an call it the day lots of adjustability that you wont get with OEM crap. As far as cradle go solid AFE, Hendricks or DSE all great products that wont cause NVH. Leave you diff bushings alone unless you want to fill t he voids with a dense RTV. If you can find a OEM rear Z knuckle switch to those the jave better bushings (but they are no longer made). Get the front Z28 Tension rods (I think thats what they are will make steering more precise. Then get some good shocks Bilstien B-6's or a set of Koni's deending on what you are using the car for.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 10:42 AM   #12
phoenix78

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS (A6 Ashen Gray)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow94z View Post
Correct. Seems like most feedback i read about solid cradle bushings do not add alot of noise, but the diff bushings do.

for ~$300, i think aftermarket trailing and toe rods are the way to go while the cradle is dropped on the car.

To add to this, I've got BMR delrin rear cradle bushings and Hendrix offset poly differential bushings. The cradle bushings were installed several years before the differential bushings. My auto Camaro is a daily driver.

In my opinion, the cradle bushings added little to no noise (I'm leaning towards none). The ride quality feels like almost stock, though it might be slightly more stiff. I'd personally recommend them even for a daily driver.

On the other hand, the differential bushings definitely made noises and vibrations more noticeable. Coasting from around 45 mph or higher is usually accompanied by clunking (not super loud) noises and sometimes shaking backward/forward. A friend helped me confirm that my driveshaft is properly secured. The noises and shaking stop with any amount of pressure on the gas pedal. I spoke with someone at a local performance shop that noticed the same thing with aftermarket diff bushings on their... Corvette? I only bought the bushings because my car is lowered quite a bit on coilovers (fixing the resulting suspension geometry) and I was having a GPI SS3 cam installed.
Mod list: GPI SS3 camshaft (VVT delete), ZL1 Fuel Pump, FIC 60 lb injectors, Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler, Circle D 3600 triple disc (billet flexplate), GPI Rod Mod, Bo White ported TB, Variant Helium wheels, Continental ECS 02 tires, CAI cold air intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ high flow cats, Ridetech HQ coilovers, BMR sway bars, BMR delrin subframe bushings, Hendrix offset poly diff bushings, Borla S-Type axle-back exhaust, Holley EFI Fuel Rails, Elite Engineering E2 catch can, Umbra LED Taillights, Kenwood DMX9707S head unit, some minor interior/exterior appearance mods.

phoenix78 is offline   Reply With Quote