Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-16-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Powder coated calipers - core exchange

I know I’m late to the game here. I’ve got a 2012 2SS and I’m looking to get the Brembo calipers powder-coated. Does anyone know if there’s a company out there that still does the coating and rebuilding with core exchange? Kind of tough to have to take them off and have the car off the road while waiting for them back.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #2
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I know I’m late to the game here. I’ve got a 2012 2SS and I’m looking to get the Brembo calipers powder-coated. Does anyone know if there’s a company out there that still does the coating and rebuilding with core exchange? Kind of tough to have to take them off and have the car off the road while waiting for them back.

Thanks
SMG Speed did mine. Not sure if they still do 5th gen calipers anymore.

https://smgspeed.com/collections/powder-coating
Old 09-16-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
From what I understand from guys recently looking for the same, the answer is no.. Madison coatings did mine and did the rebuild/core thing, but I don't think they do Camaro calipers anymore either.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #4
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Here is an ebay seller about 15 minutes from me. They used to have alot of different colors but they only have red & blue left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122907495821
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:42 PM   #5
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
SMG Speed did mine. Not sure if they still do 5th gen calipers anymore.

https://smgspeed.com/collections/powder-coating
I believe they do. Seems like they mentioned it a few months back reminding of the offer.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post

Thanks
They may still do this. They still have the info on their website. Give them a call and see.

https://madisonpowdercoating.com/bra...ers/camaro.asp

Nothing like a nice set of PC'd calipers!! Hers is what they did for me.

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  342.1 KB

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  329.2 KB
Old 09-27-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
I am running into similar problem, I decided to just try and paint them with a decent looking rattlecan method, I got new front 6 pistons and need to match the rears, I would report on how that turns out but I am still maybe 2 or 3 weeks out on actually doing the job. Can already tell it won't looks as good as a powder coat but not like people will be staring at my rear calipers constantly.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:46 AM   #8
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO
I had checked both SMG and Madison powder coating a few months back and was told by both they don’t do the core exchange for 5th gens anymore mostly due to lack of quality cores they were receiving back. Plus customers being upset because they weren’t getting the core money back for poor cores sent in. If you find anything has changed I would love to know. Might go the G2 route since I won’t tie the car up long enough to send them in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:35 PM   #9
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ2 View Post
I had checked both SMG and Madison powder coating a few months back and was told by both they don’t do the core exchange for 5th gens anymore mostly due to lack of quality cores they were receiving back. Plus customers being upset because they weren’t getting the core money back for poor cores sent in. If you find anything has changed I would love to know. Might go the G2 route since I won’t tie the car up long enough to send them in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I did Powder on my CTS VSport using a local powder coater who had a pretty quick turnaround. To keep costs down, I took him the calipers. He did have an option, though, where I could just had him keys and it'd all get done. Didn't want to spend that kind of coin, though. Those are a blue color, little deeper than the well known Corvette blue.

Now, on the Camaro, I wanted black calipers and red and white SS lettering on them. I did G3 paint and the stickers and it actually came out great. Just be sure you follow their recommendations on ambient temp for it to work well. Most of the complaints are from people not doing it right.

This was a response to me straight from G2...

The kit should be used between 56-70°F (13-21°C) these are the optimal temperatures. The kit can of course be used outside of this ideal temperature range however you will need to keep in mind that higher temperatures will cause the paint to harden faster than normal and lower temperatures will require a longer cure time.

My garage was about 68 degrees at the time and I setup to do all 4 at once making laps around the car. Ended up with like 4 coats. Also I pulled my rotors and pads but hung the calipers back in place without tightening down. This made it easy to paint everywhere I wanted with minimal taping.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:55 PM   #10
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
I am trying some of this 2K caliper spray paint, I've used 2 part spray cans like this for the clearcoat on my spoiler, it turned out good so hope this will work well too, looks like max temps are lower then the G2 kits but since I'm just doing rears I don't know if they'll get all that hot anyways. I am also replacing the lines and pads so calipers will be off the car.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-2k...ce=google&wv=4