Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #1
Caveman_SS
Will Cave

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS LS3
Hand Brake Doesn't Click

Today when I was parking, I pulled up on the hand brake and it did not click at all and would just fall right back down. I pulled the piece of trim off that covers up the hand brake mechanism, but I didn't really know what I was looking for. I haven't had any problems with it until now. Although I did feel like I needed to pull it all the way up for it to grab and hold the car still.

When I put the trim piece back on, I let the car start to roll back and then pulled up on the hand brake and it does stop the car if I really pull on it. IT feels like it's about the same height that I've always pulled on it except now it won't hold itself up because it doesn't click as I'm raising it.

Do I just need to adjust the handbrake, or is the mechanism messed up in the handbrake itself? Where should I start?
Caveman_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
Sounds to me like something in the ratchet mechanism is broken. I don't think you can service the part, and you'll likely have to replace the whole assembly. It's not too bad of a job, I did it in my driveway. Worst part is taking the exhaust, driveshaft, and heatshield off the underside of the car. I think I paid around $200 for a new parking brake handle from the dealership.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:36 AM   #3
Caveman_SS
Will Cave

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS LS3
Yeah, I got to looking inside the handle a little bit and the curved metal piece with the teeth on it was just flopping around all over the place in there. I've ordered a new handle assembly. ~$180
Caveman_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:50 PM   #4
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
It's a great time to check the dust boot on the driveshaft splines, and also check the driveshaft carrier bearing. When my e-brake failed the cable dropped and shredded the little dust boot on the driveshaft spline connection right in front of the carrier bearing. Easy to fix while you are already in there, but there's no way to know without taking the heatshield off. So I had to order after and go through the whole process a second time.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote