Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #15
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
I've seen broken shafts from people pounding and praying on them. But it's your car do what you want.
The shaft I am beating on is garbage, so no worries there. What bothers me is the force is presumablybeing transferred to the side gear. thru that c-clip. I have have hit it as hard as I can in the limited space there is to swing the hammer and I haven't got it to release yet. This bastard might never come out. Even if I take the diff completely out and remove the cover,there is no way to access the c-clip. I'm feeling really screwed right now. I'm not having any luck coming up with any other ideas.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:14 AM   #16
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Use a punch and knock it out from the other side. That's why you can see a hole from one axle location into the other side.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #17
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_camaro View Post
Use a punch and knock it out from the other side. That's why you can see a hole from one axle location into the other side.
Yes, that is what I have been doing. I might not have been clear in my earlier posts, but I have tried several different punches and hammers, up to a BFH. I am hitting the end of the shaft, but it won't pop out.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 09-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #18
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Yes, that is what I have been doing. I might not have been clear in my earlier posts, but I have tried several different punches and hammers, up to a BFH. I am hitting the end of the shaft, but it won't pop out.
Sometimes you gotta put your purse down and hit that thing. I used a mini sledge and it finally came out.
The diff isn't held in by much. 6 bolts. Pull it out and put it on a bench.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #19
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Have someone hold the pry bar to keep outward pressure to prevent the axle from "bouncing" while you try to knock it out.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #20
zlathim

I finally got it out. I ended up removing the diff from the car so that I could deal with it on the workbench instead of on my 47 year old back on the concrete.

At that point, I could get a full swing on my BFH. I used the best thing I had on hand as a punch, that 1/2 inch drive extension. It fit through the divider between the side gears.

After bashing the living hell out of it, I noticed that it had moved far enough to expose the seal surface. A few more heavy handed whacks and it came out.

The circlip came out in 3 pieces. I expected it to be broked. You can see how it mashed the splines on the axle stub as it was squeezed between it and the side gear. The side gear is perfect, not distortion of the splines.

Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 09-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #21
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Nice, glad to see you got it out!
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #22
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Willing to bet you got that "oh hell ya finally" sense of accomplishment feeling when it finally came out. Way to stick with it sir!
Oh yeah and thanks for being someone who post results
Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #23
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Nice, glad to see you got it out!
Thanks!!
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 09-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #24
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Willing to bet you got that "oh hell ya finally" sense of accomplishment feeling when it finally came out. Way to stick with it sir!
Oh yeah and thanks for being someone who post results
You know it! It was such a sense of relief when it finally came out.

Posts are worthless when guys don't bother to post up the solution to the problem. I'm glad to contribute when I can.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #25
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
I finally got it out. I ended up removing the diff from the car so that I could deal with it on the workbench instead of on my 47 year old back on the concrete.

At that point, I could get a full swing on my BFH. I used the best thing I had on hand as a punch, that 1/2 inch drive extension. It fit through the divider between the side gears.

After bashing the living hell out of it, I noticed that it had moved far enough to expose the seal surface. A few more heavy handed whacks and it came out.

The circlip came out in 3 pieces. I expected it to be broked. You can see how it mashed the splines on the axle stub as it was squeezed between it and the side gear. The side gear is perfect, not distortion of the splines.

Good deal. Definitely can see why you were having a tough time since that was broken in 3 and binding up. I was gonna suggest using a press but glad you got it out.