Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What’s your opinion about an Electric Camaro
I’d order mine right away! 4 5.63%
I’d be interested, but wait and see before forming a solid opinion. 21 29.58%
I like the idea, but would never own one. 5 7.04%
I’m not interested whatsoever. 20 28.17%
I think they should kill the idea at the drawing board. 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #29
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo-D View Post
Its going to happen, what I don't like is the way its being pushed along, mainly because of governmental pressure in most cases.
Where is all this lithium going to come from?
How is the electric grid going to cope with everyone charging cars every few hours, and they have already worked out building an electric car is more environmentally unfriendly than building a Merc saloon car.
There's a lot of questions i'm still waiting on answers for.
Sound questions here. I'm happy that whatever happens, I still will have my job in mining. The lithium prices are going to go through the roof as they are tapped out eventually.

The thing that I scoff at is the comment higher up where people are hating on millennials again. It isn't the millennials you have to worry as badly about. Maybe the younger ones, but it's the generation(s) after them that are the ones to worry about. They're the ones that are going to be driving soon and have never experienced big gas guzzling V8 monsters and are being told to "save the environment" and drive less than fun vehicles. Even though companies like Tesla are starting to come out with more fun vehicles, they're priced WAY out of the price range of the average person, typically. The Model 3 is the closest that has come on the market for being a "fun", "affordable" electric vehicle. My beef is exactly what was happening in the video that SquawkVFR posted, there's no audible excitement. Yes the P100D is lightning fast, but it doesn't make any noise. The Mustang it lined up against first was exciting until it disappeared into background because it was enjoyable to the ears. I'll keep my "slow" V8 and maybe add an EV one day, but I'd rather it not be labeled Camaro. Let Camaro die with an internal combustion V8 and bring out another new nameplate for an EV muscle car.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #30
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
I used to think along the same lines. Then they threw in a four banger in the 1Le nonetheless......Trying to get the ricer crowd to bite.
It’s not a Camaro. Call it Chevrolet Sp-E-dster. Or Chevy Torque anything but a Camaro. It’s not a Camaro no matter how you spin it. Muscle is the sound and power of a V8. I have a feeling achevy will kill the Camaro once the electric sells. I mean will they resort to all electric corvettes? Or create new models?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #31
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Popular conception is what keeps everyone using Ethanol mixed with gas when it caused 50 years worth of CO2 pollution turning all the ground to make corn and switchgrass, and they still cover up the true facts that its B.S.

In twelve years we are all dead anyway...so why not enjoy the fun sound of attaching playing cards to the spoked wheels you will buy for the new electric Camaro!!!!!! Imagine the fun of pretending your not polluting the planet much worse with all the led needed to make the batteries and the acid they produce along with all the plastic made from oil to contain the charge! OH yes that's another dirty little secret that you might as well be driving a Hummer when your driving a Prius for the score the damage to the environment does.....

OMG just heard Talib really does not want to go to Israel now that she can go as her sidekick 'OMAR" ; the Fake married Bozo from Somali crap hole who's not a citizen can't come so they can have a hate fest!!!! What a disappointment that they just try to manipulate people and use fake news...…...SIGH.... Now I wonder about the future of us all.... 12 years and counting...…

Undoubtedly though there is a Market for this crap as it will be forced on us in my state; and other liberal bastions which force crap down your throat and lie all the while...Could see a real market in S.F., Seattle, L.A. !!!!! SO yes it will come to fruition due to Greenies idiotic blind control of the Liberals who do things like say worst case here:

Imagine my State Oregon maybe say OH...… Letting the Greenies run our forests until they force all the roads to access them and harvest or fight fires to be destroyed to public lands so they are unusable, or not allowing local governments like school districts and fire fighters and police to get money form harvesting timber until the locals have no money for any of them because they depend on the land..... Then Imagine electing a bunch of Big city Morons who ignore everything wrong for decades and decades and just Lie and Lie and don't even live on the same coast as those they represent...….. And imagine a Media that covers for them and works hard to kill the competing parties information and subjugating then to the great Corporate Evil they are with all their power and money working to unlevel the playing field...… Imagine giant forest fires because you can't fight them, or imagine black listing the only 747 water dropping plane because they supported another political party....

Next you might say the Governor of the state a Liberal might Back door a law into existence overturning the death penalty she refuses to enforce maybe causing someday the release of murderers even serial ones..... That and so much more is the reality here, Keeping Portland Weird you see; they are all that matters. OH did I rant......LOL

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-16-2019 at 08:37 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #32
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
The only practical applications for electric vehicles is commuting short distances at low speeds.

So why make them zip to 60 in no time? Do that 1/2 dozen times and you will coast to a stop.
Spend an hour to travel 10 miles in quiet driving comfort and you will see less road rage. Highly populated areas will have zero pollution, and the sun will seem brighter every morning.

Time to go on a road trip? Dust off the internal combustion and crank out 500 miles/day. Or hit the back roads and enjoy the scenery without worrying about finding an outlet.

I don't understand why we can't have both and I think a lot of electric buyers during the last few years do exactly that.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #33
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The only practical applications for electric vehicles is commuting short distances at low speeds.

So why make them zip to 60 in no time? Do that 1/2 dozen times and you will coast to a stop.
Spend an hour to travel 10 miles in quiet driving comfort and you will see less road rage. Highly populated areas will have zero pollution, and the sun will seem brighter every morning.

Time to go on a road trip? Dust off the internal combustion and crank out 500 miles/day. Or hit the back roads and enjoy the scenery without worrying about finding an outlet.
Tesla has done a good job with their "supercharger" charging stations. Apparently you can get a full charge in about 20 minutes worth of time. That being said, what most people don't realize is that it costs to charge at those stations. It's not free like it may have been when they first became available. The typical rate, as I understand it, is about $1/minute. While that is still cheaper than a 30+ gallon of diesel fillup, I could get a couple of nicely equipped diesel pickup trucks for the price of a fancy Tesla. Conveniently enough, Tesla will show you the closest supercharging stations on your trip and tell you which one you need to stop at in order to complete your trip without running out of electricity.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #34
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
From my cold, dead, gasoline-stained hands...
Old 08-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #35
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Chevy wants to build electric cars, great, just don't model or name them after the Camaro or Corvette .. simple.
I agree!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #36
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i drive a forklift that has a lithium ion battery in it.it is operated 24/7 by 4 shifts.so far that battery is holding up fine and recharges in approx. 30 minutes,but i am thinking the grid could only support a certain number of EVs.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #37
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The grid cannot support everything, they lie and say That alternative energy is the way when they don't allow nuclear!!!! Large fans kill birds, solar can only pay for its costs over 20-30 years and requires the sun and large amounts of space like say the entire state of Arizona to help the US... Wave power MEH...

There are alternatives but they are still in development and I think Hydrogen is the way, and then some help from electric as a hybrid with hydrogen being the primary fuel....it just has to be developed in a world that oil dominates and would and probably has killed to keep the competition down. There used to and most likely still is a Estes kit that takes hydrogen from water making fuel for a rocket you launch, it requires Vitamin C ascorbic acid for the thing to work but when I built the sucker long ago I was impressed it was fun and yes it required electricity to get the reaction going to sperate the hydrogen from the water....

Science can be fun it is the future yet its also hampered by reality and the future hold break through we can only dream of like a car that emits water..... And there used to long ago be water injected engines requiring lots less fuel also, one in particular got the inventor killed supposedly and his invention lost to time... Yet just using electricity will only be more viable when its more cost effective not subsidized heavily by the government and that's not here yet, and I laugh at Tesla owners like I do at just another Prius..... Because the environment is harmed so much making the batteries they might as well be driving that Hummer belching Diesel fumes and a 36" lift... MEH

Hydrogen is being used in California which we should trade Denmark for Greenland and then Make America Great...LOL

So therefore most likely its coming down the pike from Liberals to a place near you....Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles...MEH...change the hydrogen to electricity to make the car go and no waiting to charge off the grid, just need to make hydrogen and fill up and have the range of gas fueled vehicle with zero emissions....And think of it you could theoretically reroute some of the hydrogen to a exhaust pipe and a spark could shoot flames at least...LOL Pipe out some Vrooom Vroom sound and there you go...……
https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicle...uel-cells-work

Even Better …. ROFL https://www.amazon.com/Estes-Hydroge.../dp/B0000AOVTZ
Old 08-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #38
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
I don't like the idea of an all-electric performance car. I've seen the eCOPO Camaro go down the drag strip before. The instant torque and performance is impressive but the lack of sound makes the car boring to me. The engine and exhaust sounds are part of the personality and soul of a car. A performance car with no soul is depressing.
I've slowly accepted hybrid performance cars (Porsche 918, LaFerrari, etc.) because they have the soul of an internal combustion engine and have an extra boost of power from electric motors.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #39
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Don’t mean to start a manual versus auto argument but based on comments I hear in favor of automatics, it’s not the driving experience anymore, it’s about getting to 60 the fastest and the quarter the quickest. I’ve heard similar arguments in favor of Chevrolet not offering a stick in the new Corvette. So if an electric Camaro can be the fastest Camaro, why the big complaints? You can probably still tinker with it like you can an IC engine from what I understand with even more reliability. As far as the noise, I can’t tell you how irritating it is at my age to hear some loud ass car just for the sake of being loud. Me? It’s not so much ETs as the experience, that’s why I only buy stick shift toy cars.

Basically it’s all about choices folks. An electric Camaro is no more offensive or unacceptable to me as a mid engine, automatic Camaro. To each his own.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #40
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Don’t mean to start a manual versus auto argument but based on comments I hear in favor of automatics, it’s not the driving experience anymore, it’s about getting to 60 the fastest and the quarter the quickest. I’ve heard similar arguments in favor of Chevrolet not offering a stick in the new Corvette. So if an electric Camaro can be the fastest Camaro, why the big complaints? You can probably still tinker with it like you can an IC engine from what I understand with even more reliability. As far as the noise, I can’t tell you how irritating it is at my age to hear some loud ass car just for the sake of being loud. Me? It’s not so much ETs as the experience, that’s why I only buy stick shift toy cars.

Basically it’s all about choices folks. An electric Camaro is no more offensive or unacceptable to me as a mid engine, automatic Camaro. To each his own.

Dude, are ya kidding? On this forum, you can start a thread about tacos and it’d turn into auto vs manual in under three pages.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #41
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Since the are continually working on the grid perhaps it will be better structured before the complete transition to EV ever happens
Old 08-18-2019, 12:42 AM   #42
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Dude, are ya kidding? On this forum, you can start a thread about tacos and it’d turn into auto vs manual in under three pages.
Well let's be honest here...manual tacos may be more fun to eat, but I can digest the automatic tacos a little bit quicker.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote