Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #29
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I read that thread as well, but not hitting the knobs should buy me some considerable time. There’s also the possibility that the door cycle theory could be incorrect as well. Here’s hoping, right.
Incorrect in that the blend door cycles to the closed position? Or, incorrect in that it contributes to breaking the blend door over time?

If you leave the temp knob on the blue dot, the blend door will "park cycle" every time the door is opened after an ignition key cycle. It does on mine which a '15. You have a '14. So, I would assume it operates the same way. On the older models like the '10 or '11, it may be different .

A few clicks up on the temp control knob, the blend door will not park cycle after turning off the ignition and opening the door. However, keeping it like that will always introduce a little heat blended into the air stream all the time. If you wanted full cold with no heat blended in, disconnecting the actuator after turning the temp knob to the full cold blue dot is probably the best solution to reduce wear and tear on the blend door.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #30
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
I think the easiest solution is to simply reinforce the door so it can't be broken. Take some 28 gauge galvanized and wrap a new door, secure with a few small screws. Let the actuator break instead which I don't think will ever happen.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #31
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
I think the easiest solution is to simply reinforce the door so it can't be broken. Take some 28 gauge galvanized and wrap a new door, secure with a few small screws. Let the actuator break instead which I don't think will ever happen.
If this could be done, I would've done it. I'm a sheet metal worker and could have easily done this with stainless steel. The problem is the door has a scalloped rubber gasket all the way around it, that's fused to it. The breaking point of the door is actually right at the actuator adapter. GM should've made the adapter piece a break-away. That way you would just have to replace it, externally, instead of the BS we have to go through with the hack!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #32
CamaroBarb
Banned

I was also thinking of drilling a hole through the center of the pivot point then countersink the top of the hole for a tapered head 3 inch screw. Put some quality glue in the hole and screw it. Betcha it lasts forever.

ps If mine ever breaks how do you feel about fixing it for me? I'm not too far from you.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 PM   #33
uvraise

Quote:
I was also thinking of drilling a hole through the center of the pivot point then countersink the top of the hole for a tapered head 3 inch screw. Put some quality glue in the hole and screw it. Betcha it lasts forever.

ps If mine ever breaks how do you feel about fixing it for me? I'm not too far from you.
Let's cross that bridge after it's built! I'm still suffering psychological scars right now!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
Old 04-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #34
CamaroBarb
Banned

Chicken!
Old 04-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #35
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Incorrect in that the blend door cycles to the closed position? Or, incorrect in that it contributes to breaking the blend door over time?

2014 1LT V6 Auto, and I have never heard a single sound coming from the dash while opening or closing the door (passenger or driver). I do, however, hear what appears to be the actuator motor whenever I turn the key to the On position. I'm no mechanic, nor have I tried hard to determine the source of the sound, so this is just a hunch on my part.
I haven't touched my air control knobs in a couple months now (air flow is off and air temp is on max heat). I started hearing a chirping sound from the fan motor and was in the process of trying to replace it (another story for another thread). Anyways, regardless of the off setting, I still hear the noise from the dash every time I turn the key to the On position.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #36
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
2014 1LT V6 Auto, and I have never heard a single sound coming from the dash while opening or closing the door (passenger or driver). I do, however, hear what appears to be the actuator motor whenever I turn the key to the On position. I'm no mechanic, nor have I tried hard to determine the source of the sound, so this is just a hunch on my part.
I haven't touched my air control knobs in a couple months now (air flow is off and air temp is on max heat). I started hearing a chirping sound from the fan motor and was in the process of trying to replace it (another story for another thread). Anyways, regardless of the off setting, I still hear the noise from the dash every time I turn the key to the On position.
You need to cycle the ignition and then open and close the door. Like after driving the car and then you open the door to get out and then close it again. Except, instead of getting out, you just sit in there after closing the door and listen for the noises.

Yeah, just opening and closing the door without touching the ignition will not do anything.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #37
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Tested mine out last week as well and have the same results as others. Temp knob on mine is 3 clicks from blue. So far, I haven't heard the system cycling when I open and close the door. With the temp on blue, it'll cycle when opening and closing the door. Mine should last a good while the way I have mine set. Especially since mine sits pretty much all the time... hopefully.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #38
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I like this set-up better. To bad GM went away from it.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #39
uvraise

Quote:
Chicken!
I'm more of a Filet Mignon.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #40
CamaroBarb
Banned

This should make it a cake job https://www.harborfreight.com/130-wa...SABEgKTOfD_BwEThe 5-1/2 in. blade on this hot knife quickly heats to 975° F to make fast, clean cuts in foam and plastic materials. The hot knife comes with a depth adjusting sled to make repeat cuts or long cuts at a precise depth.

Cuts foam, EIFS, ICF, nylon rope, webbing, synthetic fabric, and plastic
Easy push-button activation, auto-off for safety
Dual-use cutting blade for line and groove cutting
Flat edge shapes candles, foam and other craft materials
Heats-through quickly to give you a quick precision cut every time
SPECIFICATIONS
SKU(s)
60313, 66182, 61423
Brand
Chicago Electric
AC Volts
Access
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #41
MarkVa

Drives: Volvo S60
Sounds like a good solution! Here is a great site https://expositoryessays.org that would teach you how to write an expository essay!

Last edited by MarkVa; 06-02-2020 at 03:14 AM.
MarkVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #42
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I haven't taken my actuator off yet, but it looks like you could put it on with the door moved slightly "warm" like the dial position idea? I haven't found information yet on "relearn" which would be unwanted or if that cycling goes until it bends it even if you re-clocked the actuator?
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote