Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do you inflate front tires more than rear?

Just wondering if that helps a bit with traction? I'm running my fronts at 36 psi and the rears at 35 psi. Not sure if that really helps anything or not?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
sbear

That 1 PSI is not going to make a difference IMO.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
k818mn1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS, Garnet Red
Lowering tire pressure only increases traction by increasing the contact patch area. The pressure would need to be lowered a lot more than 1psi to achieve that., and even if you did that it would have undesirable effects on handling due to the increased flexing of the sidewall in corners.
The best way to increase traction is to fit tires with a softer compound.
k818mn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k818mn1 View Post
Lowering tire pressure only increases traction by increasing the contact patch area. The pressure would need to be lowered a lot more than 1psi to achieve that., and even if you did that it would have undesirable effects on handling due to the increased flexing of the sidewall in corners.
The best way to increase traction is to fit tires with a softer compound.
Or put a much larger tire on or should I say wider!

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
E.T.

So basically just leave them all at the same pressure? I'm already about as wide as I can go, without doing some crazy track setup. Supposedly, 305 in the Michelin PSS is about as wide as some 315s. I just want the most traction I can get on the streets.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
Run them all the same pressure on the street. I drop my rears to 29-30psi when I am at the track.

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Just wondering if that helps a bit with traction? I'm running my fronts at 36 psi and the rears at 35 psi. Not sure if that really helps anything or not?
In general, a slightly higher front tire pressure than the sticker number will help your car's cornering and make it feel more responsive to the steering wheel. A slightly lower rear tire pressure can also make the car feel a little happier about turning corners. The higher front tire pressure will improve steering response and reduce tire distortion slightly (reducing front tire slip angle - as long as you don't overdo this), while the lower rear tire pressure will make the rear tires run at a slightly higher slip angle. Less front tire slip angle and more rear tire slip angle is the very definition of less understeer.

The lower rear tire pressure tends to improve rear tire mechanical grip, which gives you a little extra cushion against oversteer from a slightly too heavy right foot as you exit a corner.

I don't think I have ever run front and rear tires on any car at the same pressure no matter what kind of car it was, nor do I think I ever would. That's part of the factory's recipe for the OE amount of understeer. I typically run the front tires 2 or 3 psi higher than sticker, with the rear tires being 1 to maybe as much as 3 under (you can justify running the rears slightly under if you rarely have adult rear seat passengers, and only for short distances when you do). This *may* be enough to notice in purely straight lines.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
In general, a slightly higher front tire pressure than the sticker number will help your car's cornering and make it feel more responsive to the steering wheel. A slightly lower rear tire pressure can also make the car feel a little happier about turning corners. The higher front tire pressure will improve steering response and reduce tire distortion slightly (reducing front tire slip angle - as long as you don't overdo this), while the lower rear tire pressure will make the rear tires run at a slightly higher slip angle. Less front tire slip angle and more rear tire slip angle is the very definition of less understeer.

The lower rear tire pressure tends to improve rear tire mechanical grip, which gives you a little extra cushion against oversteer from a slightly too heavy right foot as you exit a corner.

I don't think I have ever run front and rear tires on any car at the same pressure no matter what kind of car it was, nor do I think I ever would. That's part of the factory's recipe for the OE amount of understeer. I typically run the front tires 2 or 3 psi higher than sticker, with the rear tires being 1 to maybe as much as 3 under (you can justify running the rears slightly under if you rarely have adult rear seat passengers, and only for short distances when you do). This *may* be enough to notice in purely straight lines.

Norm
Thanks. I pretty much never have passengers in the rear seat. Would running the rears 2-3 psi lower have any detrimental effects? Maybe lower gas mileage? Not that it would matter that much, I'm lucky if I get 12 mpg now, lol.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
For that loading condition, the only thing I can think of is that a sudden drop in temperature would be more apt to throw a TPMS warning and if you're not in the habit of periodically checking tire pressure with a gauge the TPMS lamp will light up sooner. Load capacity-wise it looks OK. On 9" wide rims, you might want to keep an eye on outside shoulder wear if you do much had cornering and air them back up a little if you notice this.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
For that loading condition, the only thing I can think of is that a sudden drop in temperature would be more apt to throw a TPMS warning and if you're not in the habit of periodically checking tire pressure with a gauge the TPMS lamp will light up sooner. Load capacity-wise it looks OK. On 9" wide rims, you might want to keep an eye on outside shoulder wear if you do much had cornering and air them back up a little if you notice this.

Norm
Cool. I'm running 10" rims up front and 11" in back.