Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #113
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Bahahahaha! love the speculation and the pipe dreams...Fact is that the Z28 will come at some point. But will it be a factory answer to the GT500 is still up in the air. So much depends on the current status of the ZR1 and Z06 whose sales have been lagging and the ability to spark sales with the Stingray. And lets be realistic. How many Z28 will sell a year... 25K if they are lucky and more than likely less than half of that. With aftermarket goodies available and they normal Camaro enthusiest behind the wrench there is not much need for a pumped up model that will cost millions to place into production. I for one will have already modified my 2SS well beyond whatever factory specs the Z28 comes out with and will have no reason to upgrade/downgrade in 2012. And if you really want to spend 55K on your Camaro go have one built instead of chomping on Chevy about what they should or should not be doing...Drive fast and prosper.....
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #114
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Here's what you guys seem to be forgetting: price. Camaro is, in my eyes at least, a mini Corvette in both price and power. Camaro was supposed to be the affordable Corvette and all of these options you guys are mentioning aren't cheap, just because they're deletes doesn't mean they're cheap. Take a look at the Dodge Viper ACR, it has no radio, no A/C, and no carpet (along with an utter lack of amenities most would consider "standard") and it is in fact MORE expenisive than a base Viper, carbon fiber isn't cheap folks. Camaro should be affordable without sacrificing power.

I'm also a bit fed up with all the GT500 vs. SS remarks, to quote Motor Trend, "is it a fair fight?" Of course not. Anyone who says to me, "Ford has the GT500 what does Chevrolet have?" I tell them "the Corvette Z06, what do you have?" The Camaro was never meant to compete with the GT500 imo, that's what we have the Corvette for . I don't want to see the Camaro turn into the Mustang with 10+ trim levels. Have an LS/LT V6 base model, a higher end SS model, and maybe a track tuned suspension with the same powerplant as the SS for a Z28. I don't want to see the LS7 or the LS9 in the Camaro unless the Z06 and Zr1 get new powerplants respectively.
I disagree entirely. First of all I think the #1 issue ive heard on these forums is price rather than being something everyone's forgotten. Also Ive always said the exact opposite, i think its retarted when people compare the GT500 with the Corvette, its two VERY different breeds and designs, about the only thing they have in common is they're performance oriented V8 cars, plus the GT500 is just a modified Mustang so why wouldnt the Camaro be pitted against it if it were modified the same way? What makes a modified Mustang only worthy of competing against a 2-seat sports car instead of an equally modified 4-seat muscle car with exactly the same formula as the Mustang? And to top it off, personally if the Z/28 did come out with just a suspension upgrade and sporting an LS3 i along with several, several others would be super pissed and feel totally let down. Not cause its a bad car by any means but just because why would we ever want to buy a Z/28 for $50k when we can buy an SS and upgrade the suspension the same way and get the same car for $15k less?

Thats just my oppinion at least, i didnt agree with anything you said, and as far as my personal tastes go if the Z/28 is gonna reach $50k it should have an LS7 or similar NA motor (no forced induction), updated and lightened suspension, wider tires, aggressive gear ratio like 3.83-4.10, and *gasp* carbon fiber body components for even more weight savings.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #115
Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Bahahahaha! love the speculation and the pipe dreams...Fact is that the Z28 will come at some point. But will it be a factory answer to the GT500 is still up in the air. So much depends on the current status of the ZR1 and Z06 whose sales have been lagging and the ability to spark sales with the Stingray. And lets be realistic. How many Z28 will sell a year... 25K if they are lucky and more than likely less than half of that. With aftermarket goodies available and they normal Camaro enthusiest behind the wrench there is not much need for a pumped up model that will cost millions to place into production. I for one will have already modified my 2SS well beyond whatever factory specs the Z28 comes out with and will have no reason to upgrade/downgrade in 2012. And if you really want to spend 55K on your Camaro go have one built instead of chomping on Chevy about what they should or should not be doing...Drive fast and prosper.....
But you gotta remember the ZR1 isnt meant to be mass produced and the current generation of Vette is so outdated and over-shadowed by the Camaro that sales are bound to lag. I do think once the new generation of Vette comes out, as long as they can get away from their "creepy old rich guy" image the Corvette has attained, it will definatly rejuvinate the Corvette Namesake.

As for the Z/28 i think more people would be buying it just for the name and heritage alone than the performance capabilities. And for all who just went "oh thats BS, you're so full of it" just stop and ask yourself why you didnt go buy a G8 instead?? Its the exact same thing as the new Camaro just with 4-doors. But no, you bought the Camaro because its a heritage thing, its a baddass muscle car that sparks that fire in you and has that little rebellious edge we all long for. Its not just some run-of-the-mill family sedan with a big-ole' hurtin' V8 shoved in it. If you say "yeah i got a performance G8" it doesnt mean anything to anyone but if you say "i got a performance Camaro" people start to salivate. Which i think will be the basis for the Z/28, i think more people will buy it just because its not your average run-of-the-mill Camaro, and because its that heritage, when you say "Camaro" the first thing that flashes into your mind is that Z/28 logo, and judging by how GM has so perfectly sculpted the new Camaro around that idea, im sure they're going to hit a bullseye if they market the Z/28 the same way. If you ask me i bet 80% of the consumers out there would totally eat up the Z/28 if all GM did was drop an LS7 into a stock SS Camaro and re-badge it as Z/28. It'd only be about $3-$4k more than an SS instead of a rediculous $15 and people would go crazy over the fact that its got a bigger engine and better yet that legendary namesake badge. You'd basically sell the car on the heritage alone.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #116
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
To compare a GT500 to a Corvette is even more dumb than comparing the GT500 to the SS.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #117
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
To compare a GT500 to a Corvette is even more dumb than comparing the GT500 to the SS.
Not if you are comparing Fords top performer with GMs. The Corvette has set the standard in a number of categories for years and bang for the buck is a BIG one.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #118
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
FINALLY!!! I agree with a Mustang guy!!! j/k
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #119
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
FINALLY!!! I agree with a Mustang guy!!! j/k
Trader!!! j/k
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #120
Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Not if you are comparing Fords top performer with GMs. The Corvette has set the standard in a number of categories for years and bang for the buck is a BIG one.
Well unfortunatly Ford's top performer is not in the same class as GM's. Mopar has the Viper, GM has the Vette, Ford has the GT but its way rarer and aside from the ZR1 im pretty sure its a much better performer. Ford has no competition for the Corvette, just the Camaro.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #121
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Why not just offer the LSA, LS7, or LS9 as an option. Each coming with appropriate suspension adjustments, number decal on the hood or fender, and leave it at that? Keep SS the big dog but just give us engine UPSIZE options.

The SS's of yesteryear did it this way. Oh, and while I'm at it, why not give us a couple rear end gear options, like 3:73 or 4:10 or even 4:33?

Thank you for listening!

just give me a chance to get the Big Dog on the Block please!
Factory Original better than aftermarket hodge podge. Too many hodge podge aftermarket car makers today. Bastardize the idea. Plus they are gouging on price.

I agree with that....kind of like a new version of COPO.
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #122
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
I disagree entirely. First of all I think the #1 issue ive heard on these forums is price rather than being something everyone's forgotten. Also Ive always said the exact opposite, i think its retarted when people compare the GT500 with the Corvette, its two VERY different breeds and designs, about the only thing they have in common is they're performance oriented V8 cars, plus the GT500 is just a modified Mustang so why wouldnt the Camaro be pitted against it if it were modified the same way? What makes a modified Mustang only worthy of competing against a 2-seat sports car instead of an equally modified 4-seat muscle car with exactly the same formula as the Mustang? And to top it off, personally if the Z/28 did come out with just a suspension upgrade and sporting an LS3 i along with several, several others would be super pissed and feel totally let down. Not cause its a bad car by any means but just because why would we ever want to buy a Z/28 for $50k when we can buy an SS and upgrade the suspension the same way and get the same car for $15k less?

Thats just my oppinion at least, i didnt agree with anything you said, and as far as my personal tastes go if the Z/28 is gonna reach $50k it should have an LS7 or similar NA motor (no forced induction), updated and lightened suspension, wider tires, aggressive gear ratio like 3.83-4.10, and *gasp* carbon fiber body components for even more weight savings.
Really? That's funny because I keep reading stuff about people wanting all of these expensive parts, clearly aren't keeping price in mind. They aren't all that different really, different yes, but not VERY different. They're both V8 powered sports cars with performance suspension and comparable horsepower figures. If that's the case, then what would you compare the GT500 to? You obviously can't compare it to the SS so what would you compare it to? A car that hasn't even been announced yet? Also, where do you keep getting $50k from? Why can't it be $40k? After all you would only be paying for a suspension. Or are you still assuming you'll get an LSA or LS7? I agree with you, paying 50k for an SS with a track suspension would be a rip. But, there's nothing wrong with sharing the same powerplant as the SS for the Z28. That's what the 4th gen did and I bought a Z with no complaints.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #123
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Well unfortunatly Ford's top performer is not in the same class as GM's. Mopar has the Viper, GM has the Vette, Ford has the GT but its way rarer and aside from the ZR1 im pretty sure its a much better performer. Ford has no competition for the Corvette, just the Camaro.
No they don't, it was discontinued in 2006.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #124
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Trader!!! j/k

Quote:
Are you saying a GT is better than ZR1, or vise-versa?... I can see that argument for Z06, maybe, but that's all I'd give the GT. I terms of looks, I rank it near the very top of all cars, but this statement got my attention, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No they don't, it was discontinued in 2006.
I'd like to see a ZR1 vs. GT shootout. I think that would be cool. I always though Z06 was on par with the GT, maybe the GT was a little ahead, but that's about it.

So I guess we gotta' wait, to at least, the Fall of this year, maybe well into the winter for any possible information. Considering they've released the '10 and '11 in the Spring of the previous calendar year, if that's the case, I think we've still got a fair wait ahead of us
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #125
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
The Corvette ZR1 vs Ford GT vs Viper GTS debate has been around...There have been mags over the years that did shootouts. They are great cars.
At that level it really is a lot of personal preference.

Wouldn't it be nice to have all 3 ?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #126
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
The Corvette ZR1 vs Ford GT vs Viper GTS debate has been around...There have been mags over the years that did shootouts. They are great cars.
At that level it really is a lot of personal preference.

Wouldn't it be nice to have all 3 ?
YES!!! I wouldn't complain if someone gave me a ZR1 I do wish GM would get it back to the 'Ring to try to go faster than that ACR, but I certainly wouldn't turn any of these cars away