Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #1
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Has anyone installed fog lights behind either the top or bottom grills?

The headlights on my '13 LS are somewhat lacking on the dark highways I take at night to work. I don't have the $ to go with a HID or other factory-type upgrade, but I know that some of the less expensive fog/driving light kits can give me what I need.

On my 3rd gens it was easy, pull the grill and there you were with a metal support all nice and seemingly ready to mount fog lights on. Now on my 5th, I have to pull the whole front cover to access the grills and the areas that I could possibly mount lights.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

I was looking at lights like these:

Old 02-16-2016, 03:11 AM   #2
MoCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro
I'd just mount them to the front crash bar. You'd need to adjust them a little bit though to make sure they line up right behind the bottom grille. I'm not sure how good the light throw will be through the grille. I'd say use a lightbar instead, but i'm pretty sure that's a fast way to getting a ticket if they see it on the highway.
MoCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
BlackSmoke

Drives: 2013 Black SS 1LE
Just my 2 cents that's probably worth 1 cent.

My opinion would be to not install any type fog lights behind the grille or even below the grille. I do not think you would like the performance or the appearance of any lights hanging below the grille.

I can't really tell if your bezels are solid or not from your profile pic. I am not sure what budget you have allowed for your added lighting. I can say that this kit http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...fog-lights.htm comes with your new bezels, 6k LED bulbs that are cheap to replace down the road and the kit has your wire harnesses pre-made and ready to install.

You take out 3 screws from the panel in front of each tire then you have access to the back of your fogs. That is how I have to do it because I'm lowered with GFX. If you can get underneath the front end that's even better. I been running this same kit for a little over 2 years now. No water gets in the housings and they are a very clean looking light at 6000k.

I'm not sure how much modifying you plan to do to your car but this would be a step towards upgrading your fogs now then heads and/or LED turn signals etc.

They are indeed bright so it would help you to see better. Just shy of $200 may be too much. You can price shop online this same setup or very close to it and get it at a cheaper price with Amazon and eBay included.

I hope this helps and good luck on your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
The headlights on my '13 LS are somewhat lacking on the dark highways I take at night to work. I don't have the $ to go with a HID or other factory-type upgrade, but I know that some of the less expensive fog/driving light kits can give me what I need.

On my 3rd gens it was easy, pull the grill and there you were with a metal support all nice and seemingly ready to mount fog lights on. Now on my 5th, I have to pull the whole front cover to access the grills and the areas that I could possibly mount lights.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this?

I was looking at lights like these:

K & N Cold Air Intake, 25% window tint, 2 sets of 6000K LED fogs added, bow ties delete, Pypes catback mid exhaust, MGP Caliper covers, Spyder projection HID 6000K lighting with dual CCFL halos, Technostalgia Rapid Fire LED Tail Lights, blacked out rear bezels, Oracle Ghosted side marker lights, Platinum Ultra Rims, LED tag, dome, trunk lighting, Razzi Ground Effects, Billet Grille, Oracle Concept Mirrors, Eibach Pro Springs,
GM Strut Tower Brace and LED lit door sills.
BlackSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
anotherreject

Drives: no camaro
Check the measurements on those, the are a full stand alone hid unit, they are normally mounted to off road light bars on trucks so clearance issues are not a thing, putting them behind a grill of a sports car would be a tight fit. In the end you will probably spend close to the same as upgrading your factory headlights.
anotherreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I had done this a few years back. Current no longer running this bumper tho.

You can see how i did it on page 6 of my build thread. Link below sig
Old 02-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400339
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
BlackSmoke

Drives: 2013 Black SS 1LE
Hey that's a good idea to help the OP but.... Fogs cut out of the grille when there is factory cutouts inches away that in this case will be blanks or empty... You can pull the look off pretty well because you have your factory fogs in place.

Anothereject raised a legit concern with the spacing. I know with my car there is very little space to work with which limits what lights will even fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
I had done this a few years back. Current no longer running this bumper tho.

You can see how i did it on page 6 of my build thread. Link below sig
K & N Cold Air Intake, 25% window tint, 2 sets of 6000K LED fogs added, bow ties delete, Pypes catback mid exhaust, MGP Caliper covers, Spyder projection HID 6000K lighting with dual CCFL halos, Technostalgia Rapid Fire LED Tail Lights, blacked out rear bezels, Oracle Ghosted side marker lights, Platinum Ultra Rims, LED tag, dome, trunk lighting, Razzi Ground Effects, Billet Grille, Oracle Concept Mirrors, Eibach Pro Springs,
GM Strut Tower Brace and LED lit door sills.
BlackSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
hazy: I read that thread and I was wondering if I could use 2 smaller bars so they wouldn't be so .... intense when they were on and draw unwanted attention or adjust the angle so the top of the beam isn't high enough to blind other drivers.

TRC-SS: I really like the look of those on your car.

Right now I'm just brainstorming but I really do need more light up front.

Thanks all for the ideas
Old 02-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #9
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
I attempted to do this same setup above as shown. I ended up going with the zl1 front end and could not be happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote