Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts installed

Since there isn’t much posted about these inserts I figured I would share.

I bought the Pedders Stage 1 Street kit from Rob @ Wretched Motorsports. The kit includes the Cradle Bushing Inserts and the Radius Rod Inserts. This kit is definitely the way to go to start off your suspension mods. Pedders is not the cheapest brand out there but IMO they are worth it.....especially for bushings. Actually, I think they are the only ones that make the inserts.

I'll keep this thread to the Radius Rod Inserts and will post another thread for the cradle inserts.

The Radius Rod inserts are super easy to install. You shouldn’t have to even take the wheels off. However, if you’re like me and have the ADM scoop you’ll have to loosen it so you can get the driver’s side radius rod bolt out. For me that meant taking the wheel and fender well off. That’s actually an easy thing to do though….and extra 10 min to take off and 10 min to put back on.

Just make sure to locate the correct part because at first I was taking off the wrong arm and then realized that and found the correct one. I think it took a 7/8” socket and a 13/16” wrench to hold the nut (don’t quote me on those….I can’t remember for sure but I think that’s right).

Hold the nut on one end and take the bolt off the other. The radius rod drops right out of its mounting point. Then take a screwdriver or pick and get the OEM rubber out. The Pedders inserts then just push back into place. There is a small insert guide that will keep you from installing it incorrectly. Once both sides of the radius rod have the new inserts then just bolt it back into place. It will take you as long to get the car in the air and pull the tools out as it will to install these.

The OEM rubber is super soft and the Pedders inserts are not. You can see in the pics the difference between the two. The Pedders inserts are extremley firm. It’s a major difference and there is no way it won’t make a difference.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Thanks Caverman! My inserts just showed up. I'm heading out to install them right now.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
This is one of the best hot to posts I have seen on Camaro5.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Just make sure to locate the correct part because at first I was taking off the wrong arm and then realized that and found the correct one.
Haha! I did that too! Put a wrench up there and before I started turning, I realized it didn't look like the picture in the instructions.

Quote:
I think it took a 7/8” socket and a 13/16” wrench to hold the nut (don’t quote me on those….I can’t remember for sure but I think that’s right).
Yep, I used 13/16.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Haha! I did that too! Put a wrench up there and before I started turning, I realized it didn't look like the picture in the instructions.
LOL.....glad to see it wasn't just me.

Unfortunatley I wasn't smart enough to notice it until after I had losened it. I probably should look at getting it re-aligned just in case. I might do that anyway before my next AutoX event.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Since there isn’t much posted about these inserts I figured I would share.

I bought the Pedders Stage 1 Street kit from Rob @ Wretched Motorsports. The kit includes the Cradle Bushing Inserts and the Radius Rod Inserts. This kit is definitely the way to go to start off your suspension mods. Pedders is not the cheapest brand out there but IMO they are worth it.....especially for bushings. Actually, I think they are the only ones that make the inserts.

I'll keep this thread to the Radius Rod Inserts and will post another thread for the cradle inserts.

The Radius Rod inserts are super easy to install. You shouldn’t have to even take the wheels off. However, if you’re like me and have the ADM scoop you’ll have to loosen it so you can get the driver’s side radius rod bolt out. For me that meant taking the wheel and fender well off. That’s actually an easy thing to do though….and extra 10 min to take off and 10 min to put back on.

Just make sure to locate the correct part because at first I was taking off the wrong arm and then realized that and found the correct one. I think it took a 7/8” socket and a 13/16” wrench to hold the nut (don’t quote me on those….I can’t remember for sure but I think that’s right).

Hold the nut on one end and take the bolt off the other. The radius rod drops right out of its mounting point. Then take a screwdriver or pick and get the OEM rubber out. The Pedders inserts then just push back into place. There is a small insert guide that will keep you from installing it incorrectly. Once both sides of the radius rod have the new inserts then just bolt it back into place. It will take you as long to get the car in the air and pull the tools out as it will to install these.

The OEM rubber is super soft and the Pedders inserts are not. You can see in the pics the difference between the two. The Pedders inserts are extremley firm. It’s a major difference and there is no way it won’t make a difference.
Are these the stage 1 inserts or the stage 3.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Are these the stage 1 inserts or the stage 3.
They are the EP6578 (small radius bush inserts) sir.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
I had a bit of a difficult time with the install because I think the air ratchet that the operator in the plant used on mine was way out of calibration!

Anyway, I notice that the steering seems tighter and the Camaro doesn't wander through corners. I also noticed that the front doesn't dive as much under braking (although that could be in my head).

Nice improvements for such a small part.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Great pics! Very helpful! What do you torque the bolts back to? Thanks-
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
caverman

Some said 45 lbs....others say as tight as you can get them. I just did them as tight as I could.
Build Journal
Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
ayceman

Drives: 2007 Dodge Charger SXT, 2010 2SS
Thanks for posting this, it looks like this will be my next MOD looking foward to seeing what the craddle inserts did for you.
ayceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Nice DIY caverman! I did the inserts and had no problem loosening the bolts! It was an easy mod and it did make a difference in steering feel! JusticePete once told me to just "use the German 'goodintite' spec", if you don't know the torque spec, lol!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
dang you, I thought I was done with mods...
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
dang you, I thought I was done with mods...
LOL....me too

You're never "done". They might slow down but not done.

I've had my '69 back on the road since '99 and it's still not "done". The mods on that car have slowed way done but I still have plans for more. It's just taking twice as long now that the '10 is sucking up all my mod money.
Build Journal