Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #323
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
interesting read
There are still likely some materials developments down the road that could make the ICE viable for a long time.

But somehow the powertrain guys and gals manage to get more HP, more refinement and more fuel economy with less emissions every year. It wasn't that long ago the Corvette and Camaro were barely cracking 300 HP and the Camaro now has that with the base engine.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #324
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

Looks real enough to me.... Can I have a Z/28 now? lol

According to number 3 these pics are the Z/28!
Attached Images

2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #325
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

On another note, the original Z/28 was based on racing specs, wouldn't it be interesting if the new 5.5 V8 introduced for racing was put in the Z/28, I mean UniRainbow?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #326
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

On another note, is the name Z/28 trademarked? Remember what happened to Ford and the GT-40.

If it's not, someone like say uhhh, SchnOmac could produce their own Z/28's.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 10-28-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #327
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
pretty sure it's trademarked by gm
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #328
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post

I would never do that I am a GM guy!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #329
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
I would never do that I am a GM guy!
Me too!

But, I bet we could make a nice one!

Just looked at the ALMS renders WOW! That hood is awesome.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #330
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
What do we know about this engine or is it still under wraps?

"it (C6.R) will use a 5.5-liter Chevy V-8 based on a brand-new powerplant to be used throughout the GM line"

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=8425

ahhh... the 5.5

you guys probably dont remember it, but Fbod made a comment a while back about not to be too suprised when we see smaller engines coming out with the same hp/reliability powering our cars in the future. or something to that extent.

Quote:

Im curious.... I dont think I have heard much about this engine. I wonder if its just a misprint that it will be "used throughout the GM line"

you didnt think the LS3 would be the end-all motor did you?

Quote:
Hmmmm another article...

"A 5.5-liter production-based GM small-block V8 is currently under development and will be introduced at the start of the 2010 season".

http://www.lincah.com/2009-chevrolet...acing-c6-r-gt2

and here to....

Charting the Changes: GT1 vs. GT2 Corvette C6.R
The following is an overview of the differences and similarities between the GT1 and GT2 versions of the Corvette C6.R.

Engine
7.0-liter LS7.R
2009: 6.0-liter LS7.R
2010: 5.5-liter GM V8

http://www.corvetteracing.com/

production "based" could mean a lot of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
very cool indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
On another note, is the name Z/28 trademarked? Remember what happened to Ford and the GT-40.

I wouldnt buy one if Sho made one.... unless it came with one hell of a warranty. lmao

and for the GT40.... for those who dont know

http://www.fordforums.com/f556/how-g...just-gt-25896/
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #331
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The mythical 5.5.........I know some about it, based on readings around the web. But due to the competitiveness of the sport, plus the competitiveness of the Industry, there is very little known about it specifically...

Of course, #3, if you read this and chuckle at my ignorance...do tell me. I hate when I talk out my a$$.

The 5.5L to be used in the 2010 GT2 C6.R car is based off of the new Gen V small block. Since these engines are race-engines, and thus rebuilt after nearly every race, they don't need a factory dedicated to this engine to pump out a few at a time. The engine is no doubt in the middle of validation and testing, because the block design is complete, evidenced by the fact they're going to use it in the series. Since a race-engine doesn't need to last 100,000 miles without opening it, the engine they will be using won't need to go through testing, etc and can be used far sooner than the street car version. This engine will also be run with E85 racing fuel, just like the current LS7.R.

The Street car version, the "normal" Gen V, was scheduled to start production in 2011. Similar to GM's rollout of the 6-speed auto trannys, don't expect this engine to be placed in every V8 vehicle all at once. However, the LS3 is the last "new" Gen IV engine. The LS9, the LSA, the L99, are all based off of that engine, and so they 'don't count'. So the next "new" engine WILL be a GenV.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533

If it stays true to this "sneak peak" a couple years ago, the lineup will employ Direct Injection, which increases hp and fuel economy, while allowing a displacement reduction (which also inherently increases fuel economy). It should be able to utilize cam phasing, AFM, and be able to run E85. Expect a significantly reworked engine block/heads, while maintaining the classic 90-degree V8 foundation of the Chevy Small Block. The article above also quotes Tom Stephens as saying that they would want to introduce this engine in a high-profile car like the Camaro. Given that the C7 Corvette isn't due until 2012-2013, it would make sense that the Camaro gets this engine first, and then 'update it' for the C7 to make it a thoroughly 'new car'.

Needless to say...I'm f'n excited.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #332
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
That was a great post, Dragoneye. I, of course, have no comment
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #333
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
that link takes me back Dragon...

like this one...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=4.5l

and this one...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=4.5l
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #334
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
That was a great post, Dragoneye. I, of course, have no comment
Sometimes silence speaks volumes

D.I. V8, 335 cubic inch? Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Still an interesting concept...
What happened to the c5 member that was building a diesel 4th gen?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #335
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
man how long have I been saying they should drop a DI in it? lol that will be great if it happens.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #336
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The mythical 5.5.........I know some about it, based on readings around the web. But due to the competitiveness of the sport, plus the competitiveness of the Industry, there is very little known about it specifically...

Of course, #3, if you read this and chuckle at my ignorance...do tell me. I hate when I talk out my a$$.

The 5.5L to be used in the 2010 GT2 C6.R car is based off of the new Gen V small block. Since these engines are race-engines, and thus rebuilt after nearly every race, they don't need a factory dedicated to this engine to pump out a few at a time. The engine is no doubt in the middle of validation and testing, because the block design is complete, evidenced by the fact they're going to use it in the series. Since a race-engine doesn't need to last 100,000 miles without opening it, the engine they will be using won't need to go through testing, etc and can be used far sooner than the street car version. This engine will also be run with E85 racing fuel, just like the current LS7.R.

The Street car version, the "normal" Gen V, was scheduled to start production in 2011. Similar to GM's rollout of the 6-speed auto trannys, don't expect this engine to be placed in every V8 vehicle all at once. However, the LS3 is the last "new" Gen IV engine. The LS9, the LSA, the L99, are all based off of that engine, and so they 'don't count'. So the next "new" engine WILL be a GenV.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533

If it stays true to this "sneak peak" a couple years ago, the lineup will employ Direct Injection, which increases hp and fuel economy, while allowing a displacement reduction (which also inherently increases fuel economy). It should be able to utilize cam phasing, AFM, and be able to run E85. Expect a significantly reworked engine block/heads, while maintaining the classic 90-degree V8 foundation of the Chevy Small Block. The article above also quotes Tom Stephens as saying that they would want to introduce this engine in a high-profile car like the Camaro. Given that the C7 Corvette isn't due until 2012-2013, it would make sense that the Camaro gets this engine first, and then 'update it' for the C7 to make it a thoroughly 'new car'.

Needless to say...I'm f'n excited.
Very good post dragon!

about being F'n excited
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014