Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
The answer is simple, he probably wants to order cars for the lot planning to make as much money as possible off of them. Unfortunately there will always be people that will pay a big markup if they can go down to the dealer and pick a car up as soon as it comes out. This guy wants to discourage you from taking that spot, as he knows the big markups will not last long. If he uses one of his spots for you, he loses the chance to make the big markup. He knows the car will sell if it is on the lot. Find a different dealer.
This is exactly what I was thinking was happening. Play dumb to the enthusiasts so you don't use your allocation, load up the lot orders, and then rip off the dumb everyday buyer that buys with the "I have to have it now, no matter how much it is." mentality.

We've seen a lot of dealers called out here for trying to rip off loyal customers. I vote you go find another dealer. Good luck with hoping GM will make blue an option before your order drops. I really feel sorry for everyone that wants a blue SS and is getting screwed.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
srtclg1007

Drives: 08 C6 NPP, MZ6 436hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
$30,000 mark up? I have my deal to buy at msrp in writing so if someone wants a silver and black 2SS/RS for $30K mark up mine is available........
Or even for $15K over MSRP I'll sell......
srtclg1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
The answer is simple, he probably wants to order cars for the lot planning to make as much money as possible off of them. Unfortunately there will always be people that will pay a big markup if they can go down to the dealer and pick a car up as soon as it comes out. This guy wants to discourage you from taking that spot, as he knows the big markups will not last long. If he uses one of his spots for you, he loses the chance to make the big markup. He knows the car will sell if it is on the lot. Find a different dealer.
That's what I was thinking too, but I didn't want to say I thought that because I wanted to see if anyone was drawing the same conclusion. There's two of you so far that thinks he was "saving" the allocation for his lot or showroom.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
ponycrusher21
Christopher Fernandez

Drives: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
he is a sack of poo
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #19
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Being un-informed is OK. Just shut TFU! Mr. Salesman.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #20
lakestar

Drives: 2010 Camaro
30K markup? That would mean chosing between a loaded Camaro and Z06 corvette - that would be a tough choice! But I bet most would take the Z06
lakestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #21
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
^^No it wouldn't actually. I'm a Camaro freak but if I had to choose between the 2 cars at the same price, I would be owning my first Vette.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #22
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
You know, this brings another experience of mine to mind on the Sat prior to ordering right after allocation was announced.

We showed up at a local Chevy dealer that is advertising pre-orders for the All New 2010 Camaro on their website, so I figured their salesmen might be somewhat knowledgable. Well, while wiping down my black 68 SS, this young guy walks up and said this is my dream car........beautiful car man. Well, we started talking about the new one and he starts telling me that oh yeah, we'll have them on the lot next month. I stopped wiping. I said really, you just found out your allocation yesterday, ordering starts on Monday and production starts Feb 16......or somewhere around there. He said oh no, we were told they would be here in Nov. I said ok, I'll see you next month. One of my buddies starts laughing at the guy said what's so funny? My buddy proceeds to tell him that he better go check his information because he's got a book over there 3 inches thick with more documentation they the dealer probably has and he knows what's going on. I just don't want you to have to go hide next month when he calls you out. Well, he calls up to the office and all you hear him say over and over is, really? When did it change? Oh, it's always been that way? Ok.

Well, when he gets off the phone he tells me that they have pushed off production and it will now be a 2010 instead of a 2009 and that issues have them starting production after the first of the year.

So, even though he was wrong and we called him on it, he still tried to save face and make it look just the opposite.

Oh, oh, oh, and one of other dealership guys started telling us how Dale Jr was doing final testing for Chevrolet RIGHT NOW! I said yeah, I saw that special about Saving GM and that was old footage from possible as much as a year ago. I had no idea, but I know Dale Jr is not doing testing right now. He's in the Cup Chase......

I think ALL car manufacturers should develop some type of purchasing system for enthusiasts where we don't have to deal directly with dealerships and actually be able to talk to people who know. Let those that want to wait and see multiple cars on the lots go through the dealers. I know some will hate that last statement and I know it doesn't apply to all dealers. They do have to know ALL of their cars and not just one, but when I walk in there, I want him to at least know as much as I do..........my dealer has actually mentioned having me come in and talk to his sales staff and educate them when the stock cars start coming in so they can approach potential customers with more knowledge on options and features. Got an email this week telling me that the cd of pics from Indy I gave them helped several of their people on the list last week make decisions on what they wanted to order.

Sorry for the long post..........they were selling a train and Super Bee on Barrett-Jackson so I had some time to kill.......LOL
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #23
Ctrain24

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Hello Camaro5 folks!

I decided that I would go to my dealer today and see if I could place an order and then when they finally offer blue I would change the color on the order at a later date.

I had been reluctant do order one thinking I would be depriving another person of a car but I figured if there were any left on his allocation by now that everyone who was truly a die-hard would have ordered already and I wouldn't feel guilty if I ordered one and had to cancel it if they don't offer blue.

So, I went to the dealer and the salesman I normally see was not there so another guy offered to help me. I asked him what his allocation was and he said that GM has not given out that information, and they won't give it out for a long time. He said that dealers may get a showroom car in April or May but they had doubts that production would begin until the summer.

I asked the guy why he didn't know his allocation and he said that that information was not being given out. I said he could check on chevylaunch.com and find out and he said that they have been checking constantly but the info is just not there.

He then told me that nobody in my area would be seeing Camaros for the better part of the year because most of the dealers that get them would be the big dealers in major cities like NYC, LA, etc. He said that those dealers will surely ration them out with a $30K markup.

He told me that they could take a deposit like some dealers are but that just means I'd be giving them money to play around with indefinitely because they had no idea when the cars would actually start getting built and they couldn't place any orders not even for their own dealer stock.

He assured me that since they had hired a new sales guy 2 years ago that specialized in selling Corvettes that they were assured of a great allocation because of the high volume of vettes they had sold in the past 2 years which was huge compared to other local dealers. I just had to wait for GM to tell them their allocation.

I then said I didn't want to call him a liar but several of my friends on Camaro5.com has already placed orders and were even given order numbers and knew what place they had on their dealer allocations. Some guys were #1 out of 5, other guys were #2 out of 3, and so on. The guy told me to "forget what you read on the internet." and "it's all a bunch of B.S." and that nobody was given any allocation and all dealers were doing was taking deposits to "reserve a space in line" for when GM finally gave out allocations.

He said he would be happy to take a deposit from me to reserve my place in line and that he had several other guys foaming at the mouth as well but he talked them out of it too. But if I was really that eager they would be glad to take my money and give me a slip of paper saying I was reserving my place for when allocations become available. He said that he was "doing a favor" for me by not taking money from me and that dealers that were supposedly taking orders were going to have all that money to "play around with" and were ripping enthusiasts off by leading them on like that.

I just wanted to put that out there and see if any of you had any reaction to what my dealer was saying and perhaps if I had miscommunicated to him in some way what I wanted or misunderstood what he was saying. This dealer has been serving my family for 30 years and always has been good so I am saddened by the fact that what he says seems to be so my different than what I read here.

Of coruse he did warn me to not pay any attention to the internet...
What's the name of the dealer?
Ctrain24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #24
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Just print the PDF file and bring it into the dealer. Point at the last page (where it states ordering started on the 13th) and then ask where his copy is.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #25
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrain24 View Post
What's the name of the dealer?
I'm going to go back on Monday and try and talk to the sales guy I have been dealing with. Maybe the one guy was just a dolt.

I will report back and give the name. I don't want to diss the whole dealership because they had one flaky salesman.

I will say it's in central New York. I don't know if the location here has any bearing on the value or availability of 2010 Camaros.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #26
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
That's what I was thinking too, but I didn't want to say I thought that because I wanted to see if anyone was drawing the same conclusion. There's two of you so far that thinks he was "saving" the allocation for his lot or showroom.

Bullseye, Bingo, Nail on the head! I agree 150%!

I get GM pricing thru my dad and been very disappointed on more than one occasion trying to get dealers to honor GMS pricing.
Bottom line is these dealers are in business to make money.
Same reason you and I all drag our tired butts outta bed every Monday morning and fight traffic or whatever pain in the butt you have to deal with getting to work.
How bout some guys who work at dealerships selling cars chime in here?
hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #27
hayabusa1300
Account Suspended

Drives: jimmy 2000
He sounds wacked to me.....one of those dealers who holds out for the bigger bucks...and then starts dancing on his way home from work. But yes their could be delays for different reason.....But i believe chevy will try to follow their time frame with this car if possible.
hayabusa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #28
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I don't really blame salespeople for not knowing everything about this car or even GM policy. How much do any of us know about our companies, products, or services? It is hard to demand a car salesperson to know everything about this car and its allotment, features, or options.

This guys does not know what is happening when it comes to the Camaro. Many of us here at Camaro5 have an expertise in the Camaro. We don't have expertise in other cars. For example, I can tell you all about the Camaro, but don't think I'll be able to recite options or pricing for a Chevy Aveo. I know a little about the Aveo, but I couldn't tell you all of the features like I can with the Camaro. As a salesperson, this guy is responsible for a lot of cars and trucks. It is impossible to memorize every feature of every car on the lot.

Basically, just expect them to price it for you. You can learn the features and options here. Camaro5 is full of great buying advice, too. Don't expect your salesperson to guide you through the process. They're only there for a paycheck; you're there for your favorite new Chevy.

Yeah, but it's his job to know. If my job was just selling cars, I would know alot about my car line up. Plus, they work off commission. I guess I'm just really into cars.

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote