Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #15
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
It's not necessarily his wife beating his ear, telling him to sell it. Sometimes, you just get a bug up your a$$ and start running things through your head. I've done it, many times.

I've thought of selling mine different times. I bought it new in '11, have dumped plenty of money into it and it currently has 15,000 on the clock. I've thought, why not sell it and put the money towards my mortgage? I know I'd miss it too much in the summer though. I've also thought of selling it and buying something else.

About a month, I came very close to pulling the trigger on a ZL1 1LE. The dealer went above and beyond what I was asking of them. The manager actually wanted my car for himself. They offered me $22,500 and I probably could've gotten them to go in for another $1,000. In the end, I decided to stay where I'm at. The car has been payed off, so why get into a loan? Even though I would've been financing merely a fraction of the MSRP, getting into a loan would have been pure foolishness.

IMHO, keep it. If it's paid off, it's only costing you insurance (and the occasional mod ). Spring/Summer is right around the corner and you'll definitely miss it. Good luck!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
V8only

Drives: 2012 camaro 45th 2ss/rs Centri SC
I think you're a little low on the price, unless miles are high. Mods don't add a ton of value, but in the case of the 5th gens, they do a little. Most blown 5th gens I've seen tend to go for mid 20's with respectable miles
-66 mustang fuel injected resto-mod
V8only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
05Goat

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
We were just teasin him.. I would have went for the ZL1 if I was you. The payments couldn't have been that much and.. Its a ZL1 !
05Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #18
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
I'm willing to bet there's a wife involved in the OP's "push" to sell his car. Why in the world would he put so much money into it and THEN discover that he can't drive it in the winter. Of course you can't, unless you want to change tires, get salt all over it and take a chance that someone will slide into you. With all those mods, it's not a winter car! That baby is meant to be driven on warm pavement. Sure, it would be nice if we lived in Miami or southern California and could drive it all year. But enjoy the thrill of taking the cover off after a long winter's nap. And, like I said, I'm willing to bet his wife is saying "Why tie all that money up when it sits, sits and sits." Answer is "because it's my toy." She's thinking of all the furniture and shoes she can buy with that cash. lol.
No wife I think part of it may be that it's been sitting in the garage most of the winter, and I just haven't driven it much at all since the weather got crappy. I never really planned to drive it in the winter anyway. Aside from the salt and all the idiot drivers, the Pilot Super Sports just won't work in snow. They are even a little scary on dry roads in the cold. Plus, the car is lowered, so even if I could get traction, I'd be plowing snow with the front end, lol.

I guess sometimes it just feels like a waste to have it and not drive it that much, but if some dealer is only going to give me $20K for it, that just seems silly. Especially since it's paid off, so all I really need to pay is minimal car insurance and gas.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
It's not necessarily his wife beating his ear, telling him to sell it. Sometimes, you just get a bug up your a$$ and start running things through your head. I've done it, many times.

I've thought of selling mine different times. I bought it new in '11, have dumped plenty of money into it and it currently has 15,000 on the clock. I've thought, why not sell it and put the money towards my mortgage? I know I'd miss it too much in the summer though. I've also thought of selling it and buying something else.

About a month, I came very close to pulling the trigger on a ZL1 1LE. The dealer went above and beyond what I was asking of them. The manager actually wanted my car for himself. They offered me $22,500 and I probably could've gotten them to go in for another $1,000. In the end, I decided to stay where I'm at. The car has been payed off, so why get into a loan? Even though I would've been financing merely a fraction of the MSRP, getting into a loan would have been pure foolishness.

IMHO, keep it. If it's paid off, it's only costing you insurance (and the occasional mod ). Spring/Summer is right around the corner and you'll definitely miss it. Good luck!
Yep, I think the "bug up the ass thing" sums it up. I was even thinking about a Stingray (new base models are going for around $50K). I really like the looks, but I know I would get raped on the trade-in. On top of all that, the specs aren't really all that impressive. Here's just one example I found online:

Grand Sport 1LT Coupe (Z07 Package)RWD8A3.9 sec12.3 sec @ 116 mphMotor Week

My best run a few years ago was a 12 flat at like 120mph or something, and that was only with the blower. I added a cam since then that netted me another 100 HP or so. Even if I got the 'vette, it'd be the same thing—just sitting in the garage most of the time. Also, the wheels that come with it look shitty, IMO.

Best move is probably just keep it an enjoy it. Maybe when I'm 80 or something, it'll be considered "classic" and I could get some cash. If I were going to sell the thing today, I'd want at least $50K, which sounds like a pipe dream.

Anyway, I appreciate all the input. It's been a while since I've been on the forums!

Old 03-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #20
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
E.T its a really nice car you have and I suspect you would regret selling such a fine and fast car. I too pondered the vette thing last year. I could afford to buy one sure but I was in the same boat. I have a car I don't drive often enough and it is long since paid for and still like new.

So she's staying. The weather has just broken where I am and I had the car serviced today. Oil change, fresh coolant & an alignment for good measure though I likely could have skipped that one. Ordered 2 new rear tires today too.

So a few bucks put into the car and now she's good for a while.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #21
WarDaddy376

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Love my car, but it's kind of turned into a garage queen, plus I live in Ohio, so I can only drive it half the year, if I'm lucky. Just wondering about my options. I ran some quotes online from NADA (not sure what's accurate), but it sounds like best case, I might be able to get around $20K. It's a 2012 2SS auto.

Thing is, the car is highly modded (blower, cam, headers, wheels, intake, gears, etc). I would guess that it's got $20K in mods alone. I guess trying to sell it privately would net more cash, but I looked over on the classifieds section, and most other modded cars aren't listed for very much. At this point, it kind of looks like trying to sell would be a waste of time because I couldn't get much for it.
The main question you have to ask yourself what other car can you buy for $25K (if that was your selling price) to replace it. By the looks of your car there isn't much out there even basic transportation for $25K that gives you the willies like your modded gem...
WarDaddy376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
E.T its a really nice car you have and I suspect you would regret selling such a fine and fast car. I too pondered the vette thing last year. I could afford to buy one sure but I was in the same boat. I have a car I don't drive often enough and it is long since paid for and still like new.

So she's staying. The weather has just broken where I am and I had the car serviced today. Oil change, fresh coolant & an alignment for good measure though I likely could have skipped that one. Ordered 2 new rear tires today too.

So a few bucks put into the car and now she's good for a while.
Thanks!

Old 03-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #23
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Keep it for sure, E.T. I joke about the year round driving - I DO drive mine in all weather conditions - but yours is clearly not meant for that, and you've got too much invested in it to lose it to some clown in a subaru thinking AWD will save the day. Mine is a loaded to the gills 1LE, but it's also basically unmodified. Worst case, if that clown in the subaru hits me, I get a newer version because no matter what, my insurance will cover me.

I go through the same thing every year with my motorcycle living in New England. Between November and April it just sits in the garage, and I almost don't think it's worth it to keep it - until that first ride of the season

By the way, it is a very nice car! love the look!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #24
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Love my car, but it's kind of turned into a garage queen, plus I live in Ohio, so I can only drive it half the year, if I'm lucky. Just wondering about my options. I ran some quotes online from NADA (not sure what's accurate), but it sounds like best case, I might be able to get around $20K. It's a 2012 2SS auto.

Thing is, the car is highly modded (blower, cam, headers, wheels, intake, gears, etc). I would guess that it's got $20K in mods alone. I guess trying to sell it privately would net more cash, but I looked over on the classifieds section, and most other modded cars aren't listed for very much. At this point, it kind of looks like trying to sell would be a waste of time because I couldn't get much for it.

That's one good reason why modding isn't a great idea. Hang onto it. It's modded to your specifications, not everybody's.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #25
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Goat View Post
Absolutely nailed it! She spotted a nice kirby vacuum cleaner she wants. Exact reason I'm not married.
LOL about Kirby vacuums. OT here but one of my friend signed me up for a "free" carpet cleaning. Stupid me I said okay without asking any more info. Guy came, cleaned my carpet then pushed so hard to sell me a $2k vacuum cleaner. He was even willing to "buy back" my $80 vacuum for $400. Dude would not leave my house. Only after I threatened to call the police did he finally leave.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #26
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Keep the car. You can modify a car to your desired state (no OEM car is going to quite be there) or you can put the money towards upgrading to a different car with higher specs to start with (still won't quite be what you want).

You've already made the choice to modify to the level that satisfies you.

Now...doubting that a bit (winter sucks) you're contemplating "upgrading" to a newer car.

You will lose a lot of money on the car you're in (that's ok if you're ok with it) to sell/purchase the new hotness. Then you will "lose" a lot of money on the mods you will inevitably need to perform on the new ride.

That's just the cycle. It's worth it, if it's worth it to you. That's all that matters.

No - you will not be able to sell your current ride for $50k, no way. That's the nature of the game you are choosing to play. The core value of your car is essentially the same as the value of your car if it was OEM stock. As others mentioned you might can find a buyer to pay a premium for the mods you've done, but that is an unlikely unicorn.

Oh and btw - not ALL wives are fun killers. My second wife is awesome. She doesn't care about all that. We have separate finances. All the better in her mind if I'm having my jollies on the road course...
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #27
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Keep it for sure, E.T. I joke about the year round driving - I DO drive mine in all weather conditions - but yours is clearly not meant for that, and you've got too much invested in it to lose it to some clown in a subaru thinking AWD will save the day. Mine is a loaded to the gills 1LE, but it's also basically unmodified. Worst case, if that clown in the subaru hits me, I get a newer version because no matter what, my insurance will cover me.

I go through the same thing every year with my motorcycle living in New England. Between November and April it just sits in the garage, and I almost don't think it's worth it to keep it - until that first ride of the season

By the way, it is a very nice car! love the look!
Thanks, Terry. Nice ride, too! I like the red/black combo.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 PM   #28
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Keep the car. You can modify a car to your desired state (no OEM car is going to quite be there) or you can put the money towards upgrading to a different car with higher specs to start with (still won't quite be what you want).

You've already made the choice to modify to the level that satisfies you.

Now...doubting that a bit (winter sucks) you're contemplating "upgrading" to a newer car.

You will lose a lot of money on the car you're in (that's ok if you're ok with it) to sell/purchase the new hotness. Then you will "lose" a lot of money on the mods you will inevitably need to perform on the new ride.

That's just the cycle. It's worth it, if it's worth it to you. That's all that matters.

No - you will not be able to sell your current ride for $50k, no way. That's the nature of the game you are choosing to play. The core value of your car is essentially the same as the value of your car if it was OEM stock. As others mentioned you might can find a buyer to pay a premium for the mods you've done, but that is an unlikely unicorn.

Oh and btw - not ALL wives are fun killers. My second wife is awesome. She doesn't care about all that. We have separate finances. All the better in her mind if I'm having my jollies on the road course...
Haha, I know what you mean about the cycle. I told myself this would be it. I know if I traded in for a 'vette or something, I'd probably want to mod that, too, and starting all over again is pretty hard on the wallet! I don't think I could let my Camaro go for $25K, plus the thing is just a blast to drive, and it hasn't even hit 10K miles yet, so should last for a long time at this rate. I think I probably just have a case of the Camaro winter blues