Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Jayzonk

Drives: none
2013 2SS 1LE - Good Platform for Making a Great Handling Car?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My last Camaro was a 1984 Z28 (305) that I purchased in 1988, so it's been awhile!
I found a 2013 2SS 1LE with low mileage, and it's in great shape. I was thinking about buying this car to hot rod it a little bit, and thought I'd find out if this is a good platform to start from. I'm not real concerned about increasing horsepower, but would like to improve the handling primarily, with a slight increase in horsepower. Is this a good model to start from?
Thanks,
J
Jayzonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
The fifth gen Camaro is a great platform/chassis and is an awesome handling car (see exhibit A: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270).

From the factory the car is quite capable, especially a 1LE, but with some of the weak points corrected/improved the car is a total beast. You will not be disappointed!
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
SkunkJunk420

Drives: camaros
solid rear cradle bushings for sure
SkunkJunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #4
Jayzonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
The fifth gen Camaro is a great platform/chassis and is an awesome handling car (see exhibit A: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270).

From the factory the car is quite capable, especially a 1LE, but with some of the weak points corrected/improved the car is a total beast. You will not be disappointed!
Thanks. I've read many reviews comparing the fifth generation to the sixth, claiming that the sixth is such a better handling car already. Since horsepower isn't a big deal to me, I could go with a weaker powerplant like the turbo four cylinder for the same money. I don't know if this could end up being an enjoyable track car or if the C5 2SS 1LE is better??
Old 09-27-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Just bought my first Camaro a little over a month ago and have been very impressed with the 1le factory setup.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:15 AM   #6
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
The 5th Gen, especially with the 1LE package is no slouch, and it's a 500% improvement over what you have had in the past (both power and handling). You would very likely be pleased with either, but personally, I'd want the V8 in the 5th Gen over a turbo 4.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #7
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzonk View Post
Thanks. I've read many reviews comparing the fifth generation to the sixth, claiming that the sixth is such a better handling car already. Since horsepower isn't a big deal to me, I could go with a weaker powerplant like the turbo four cylinder for the same money. I don't know if this could end up being an enjoyable track car or if the C5 2SS 1LE is better??
I can't say from experience if the sixth gen is better, although I'm under the impression that handling-wise it is equal to or better than the fifth gen in most or all ways due to the chassis used, but as mentioned, I can near guarantee that you won't regret a fifth gen.

Also, the fifth gen looks better - more first gen-esque, where as the sixth just looks like the rest of the generic, modern GM lineup... just sayin'
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Yes it's a good platform to start from
Old 09-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes its good to start from; but always there are better aftermarket suspension parts to enhance the handling. You could look to BMR for most parts, and many just do headers and a tune with cold air to bring it. And HFC high flow cats are good to remove rasp, also the dual mode exhaust if equipped is very nice and can be altered also to make it even more enjoyable.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
To answer the initial question, yes. A 5th gen 1LE is a great platform for a track car and will continue to handle better with suspension upgrades.

Now to address the other comment about not caring about the power, just wanting the better suspension. The way the suspension setups on the 6th gen were explained to me is that the 1LE package is 1 step up trim level's suspension. For example, 4 cylinder 1LE is the 6 cylinder suspension, the 6 cylinder 1LE is the SS suspension, the SS 1LE is the ZL1 suspension, and the ZL1 1LE is a beastly monster of a track car. This was what the Chevy engineers were saying at a car show a year ago when the ZL1 1LE was first coming out.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
my 2010 2ss/rs will do over 1.6G on a skidpad... ask me how I know
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
Jayzonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
my 2010 2ss/rs will do over 1.6G on a skidpad... ask me how I know
Okay...how do you know??
Old 10-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #13
Jayzonk

I lost out on the 2013 2SS 1LE deal but I did find a low mileage 2010 SS2 in really good shape. It doesn't have the wide track of the 2SS 1LE, and I'm wondering if this SS2 will accommodate wheels and tires that will extend out past the fenders like the 2SS 1LE. Can this be done fairly easily? I'd like to get those same wheels that were on the 1LE and add them to this car, as well as a black hood wrap.
Can I also mimic the handling of the 1LE? Change stabilizer bars and shocks?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #14
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Hey Jayzonk. Yes you can fit the ZL1/1LE wheel set on your car no problem.

You can also easily upgrade to the 1LE handling/track package suspension parts. Check the link below to see what the 1LE handling package consists of:

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...aro/suspension

The SS springs are the same as the 1LE springs.

There are other suspension options out there (and better outright performing options) but for OEM, the 1LE is pretty darn good as is, I think it's a great combination of performance and still has some civility for cruising around (it's not plush or anything but reasonable for such a good handling car).

Should be able to source the bits you need for a good price.

If you want other options, someone like JusticePete has a good handle (ha) on the how to make the best of the Camaro's handling. I think he's still a vendor here. (http://www.jpssonline.com)

I have yet to buy from him yet he still spent a good amount of time talking about options on the phone with me. Stand up guy.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote