Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Toe rod and trailing arm questions

So I am reading and reading. It is clear that changing parts in this area lowers wheel hop and helps traction and handling. Is it really the rods and arms that are the weak link or just the bushings?

I am getting the Pedders Pace Car setup and it does not address these components. I am considering the PFadt kit with bushings and arms/link but also consider just getting Pedders Bushings and ZL1 rods. I guess BMR should be considered too. I'm a novice with this and maybe it's just what I read, or how I took it in, but this is just not clear to me. Can you all shed some light on this?
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Through my research, Pedders believes the OEM arms are fine for most street/mid HP cars and only the bushings need replaced.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper View Post
Through my research, Pedders believes the OEM arms are fine for most street/mid HP cars and only the bushings need replaced.
That is the jist of what I am understanding. Wonder if anyone Pedderized added these components and noticed a difference? I doubt it, but maybe.

If I wanted to get the Pfadt or BMR could you use the Pedders bushings with them? Are the bushing fittings same as OEM on all aftermarket replacements?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Pfadt and bmr both come with great bushings. You would need the outer trailing arm bushing if you go bmr however.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
That is the jist of what I am understanding. Wonder if anyone Pedderized added these components and noticed a difference? I doubt it, but maybe.

If I wanted to get the Pfadt or BMR could you use the Pedders bushings with them? Are the bushing fittings same as OEM on all aftermarket replacements?
I just ordered the Pfadt ones on sale...the main idea with the Pfadt one's are that they are stronger and lighter than OEM....
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
was619
Billy The Kid

Drives: Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
It seems to me that mixing parts to your liking including bushings of course would net the best results.
Like getting the full BMR kit with Pfadt arms and zl1 links(cheapest upgrade option) and Pedders zl1 upgraded Sway Bars.
Hopefully that makes sense
Aesthetics: ZL1 Spoiler, DIY LED marker lights, AACPlasma DRL, Yellow Calipers, painted factory wheels
was619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
That's what I'm doing. Have little of everything
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I just ordered the Pfadt ones on sale...the main idea with the Pfadt one's are that they are stronger and lighter than OEM....
Ditto - I figure with that and the Pace Care package from Pedders with the ZL1 sways I should be good for a while, and a lot of smiles. Last decision to be made is if I need (want) to do the Diff bushings too...thoughts?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Replacing the OEM toe links and trailing arms with after market tubular arms does deliver some performance gain. It is our position that you can get the same performance gain without replacing the arms. Using Pedders EP6572Z steel jacketed bushes provides stability to the rear suspension geometry and maintains the safety of the factor built in fuses.

When some say the OE trailing arm is weak, the factory engineer will tell you that it is strong enough to do the job AND WEAK ENOUGH TO ACT AS A FUSE IN AN IMPACT. We just shipped a new rear lower control arm out to a 5th Gen owner that curbed his car. The after market toe link and trailing arm were fine, but the lower control arm bent along with some of the brackets on the sub-frame.

When you add a stronger arm to your suspension you make all the other components relatively weaker.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
I will just throw this out there again. For a lot of mild applications you can get away with just upgrading the bushings. If you look at this from a cost perspective however, you will see that you can practically purchase the complete upgraded tubular arms already equipped with high quality polyurethane bushings for practically the same cost. Once you factor in the labor or time of driving out the OE bushings and replacing them, it actually costs more. One more perk of the aftermarket setups is that they are completely greaseable without having to unbolt them or disassemble them. Our arms in particular are designed with internal grease passages and fluted bushings, greasable through external zerk fittings.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Replacing the OEM toe links and trailing arms with after market tubular arms does deliver some performance gain. It is our position that you can get the same performance gain without replacing the arms. Using Pedders EP6572Z steel jacketed bushes provides stability to the rear suspension geometry and maintains the safety of the factor built in fuses.

When some say the OE trailing arm is weak, the factory engineer will tell you that it is strong enough to do the job AND WEAK ENOUGH TO ACT AS A FUSE IN AN IMPACT. We just shipped a new rear lower control arm out to a 5th Gen owner that curbed his car. The after market toe link and trailing arm were fine, but the lower control arm bent along with some of the brackets on the sub-frame.

When you add a stronger arm to your suspension you make all the other components relatively weaker.
I agree with you last line above, adding stronger parts can weaken others, no different than adding beefier sway bars and end links, the LCA's suffered with tearing end links out of the LCA bracket...led to GM re-designing the mounting point...

Last edited by So Cal Camaro; 11-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
So Cal Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote