Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #183
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
In short yes obviously depending on fault. If it is his fault your insurance will pay and it is considered an at fault accident and they surcharge you for it as well. SOME companies would even drop you for that, although most will give you a pass as long as your dad has his own insured vehicle.
Damn that's harsh. So note to self - only people driving my car are on the policy.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #184
mbauer14085RS/SS2010

Drives: 99 blazer/2010 2ss/rs iom now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabel1969 View Post
Well, My father took out the camaro, got a little loose in some snow, etc.. bounced off a couple guard rails, and tagged a tree with it head on. I got the car hauled back to my place, and it's under cover after I pulled the front tin off of her, and it's bad. Really bad. The ultimate slap in the face is the car was not insured. I can describe the damage, but would really rather not post pics of it at this moment. Light scuff down drivers quarter mostly at wheel well front and rear of it (crease actually). Deep scuff down passenger front fender, actually tore the metel hit the door, and creased it at the front of the door, and light scuff in pass quarter. The nose is completely destroyed, header non existant, egg crate gone, hood was pushed into windshield, and broke that, tree went glancing blow off of front bumper support/impact support, and sheered the driver side strut tower clean off of the cradle, kicking back the wheel, breaking the wheel, and also tweaking the front subframe. driver side air bag blew, along with curtain air bags. Car's got just under 4000 miles on it, and i'm actually sick over it. it rolled in the radiator support so bad that it's wadded up in the shape of the tree, pushed up to the driver side strut tower, radiator, ac condensor both history. Now, i'm no stranger to this type of damage, as I worked in a few shops that did this type of work only, however since we owe some money on the car still, and it was a personal loan, i'm actually at the point of trying to sell it. Because insurance was not involved, the title is clear, and carfax is also good on it, but it's obviously totaled. What is this car worth in it's current condition? I'd like to say it still runs, but I haven't fired it. We've got a guy interested in it, but he's thinking he's going to steal it.

Now, i've got 3 ideas. Let it go for highest offer, say on ebay in as is condition, not sure if running (alot of sensors and some harness got damaged, and until I can verify the damage IE physically inspect drivetrain with the radiator support pulled off of it, and verify no leaks), i'm not turning that key. I'm figuring at BEST, I could hope for is between $8,000, and $10,000.

Idea 2 is haul her over to my friends frame shop, we drop the cradle on the bent subframe, verify integrity of engine/tranny, hardware, replace sensors, etc, replace subframe with suspension components, put car on the rack and pull the unibody/cradle straight, drill out rad support, spot in new one, re weld strut tower to factory specs, reinstall drivetrain, add radiator, replace 1 wheel with tire, and make her a running moving roller needing just sheetmetel and a few bumps removed. At this point, depending on parts prices, i'm figuring at best, I could hope for is $16,000. Is this step worth it? Anybody have any ideas on what these parts cost?

Idea 3. do idea 2, but while engine is down, change cam, intake, do a few other mods, reinstall, hang sheet metel, finish car up and keep her but take the huge hit on the parts, and some on labor?

Any input would be appreciated.. Unfortunately, I never got to run this car at our local track, from seat of pants feel, i'd say she was capible of low low 13's, maybe a high 12 with the right air.

Thanks for any and all constructive input!!

Please no bashing... he's been bashed enough by me...

2 words

WINTER BEATER
3800 Order produced (6/16/09)2G1FK1EJ3A9117972
4000 Available to ship (6/16/09)
4200 Shipped (6/19/09)
4300 Intermediate Delivery(6/20/09)
5000 Delivered to the dealer(6/22/09)
6000 Delivered to the customer (6/27/09)
mbauer14085RS/SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #185
Diabel1969

Drives: 2010 2SS, A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer14085RS/SS2010 View Post
2 words

WINTER BEATER

3 words

ALREADY HAVE ONE..

maybe you weren't paying attention when the post said it was being transported to a better storage area?
Diabel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #186
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
3 words

ALREADY HAVE ONE..

maybe you weren't paying attention when the post said it was being transported to a better storage area?
what I still don't get is even though you was transporting it to another storage, why not just call the insurance company up and get insurance on it and once you got it there call and cancel it back out. I bet you will learn to do this next time. Seems it would have taken you 5 mintues to do that and not paid any extra money since they would have pro-rated the policy and there wouldn't have even been enough to pro rate to even cost you anything.

I moved mine from my house to where I keep my drag car and thats exactly what I did. Always cover your ass just in case.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #187
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
In short yes obviously depending on fault. If it is his fault your insurance will pay and it is considered an at fault accident and they surcharge you for it as well. SOME companies would even drop you for that, although most will give you a pass as long as your dad has his own insured vehicle.
Rouge once again this is not true. Espcially if you live in a no fault state. Only way his insurance would be involved is if the driver didn't have his own insurance. otherwise that drivers insurance would have to cover the cost. You need to be more detailed when answering questions like this.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #188
Diabel1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
what I still don't get is even though you was transporting it to another storage, why not just call the insurance company up and get insurance on it and once you got it there call and cancel it back out. I bet you will learn to do this next time. Seems it would have taken you 5 mintues to do that and not paid any extra money since they would have pro-rated the policy and there wouldn't have even been enough to pro rate to even cost you anything.

I moved mine from my house to where I keep my drag car and thats exactly what I did. Always cover your ass just in case.
It really wasn't my idea!! but, what's done is done ya know?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #189
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Diabel, How is the repair coming? Still collecting parts?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #190
Diabel1969

Haven't even started it yet.. Still awaiting a full estimate on the frame pull. He got out of the hospital last week, and he's healing up, now we're dealing with the legal end of things, but in the meantime, i'm gathering info, prices.. etc... it's going to be a long road.. don't want to rush it and do anything half assed you know?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #191
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Haven't even started it yet.. Still awaiting a full estimate on the frame pull. He got out of the hospital last week, and he's healing up, now we're dealing with the legal end of things, but in the meantime, i'm gathering info, prices.. etc... it's going to be a long road.. don't want to rush it and do anything half assed you know?
Ya I hear ya there, the main thing is that he is on the road to being 100% again.

As far as the car goes it takes awhile to figure out which way you want to go. It's easier to measure twice and cut once type of thing. I see you are in Northern New York, so you got lots of winter ahead that you wouldn't be driving it anyway. Gives you a lot of time to, "Now if i add this cam it does....etc. Best of luck to you. You will have to keeo us posted on your progress.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 AM   #192
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssump29 View Post
Rouge once again this is not true. Espcially if you live in a no fault state. Only way his insurance would be involved is if the driver didn't have his own insurance. otherwise that drivers insurance would have to cover the cost. You need to be more detailed when answering questions like this.
ssump once again you are wrong and you need to stop calling me out when you have no clue what you are talking about. I have tried to be nice here but you just don't seem to get it.

Let me spell it out again once and for all

INSURANCE FOLLOWS THE VEHICLE. THIS IS A BASIC PRINCIPLE OF AUTO INSURANCE. YOU CANNOT INSURE SOMETHING YOU DO NOT OWN. NOR DOES YOUR INSURANCE COVER SOMETHING YOU ARE USING AND DAMAGE THAT YOU DO NOT OWN. THE ONLY THING THE DRIVERS INSURANCE POLICY WOULD TAKE CARE OF IS SECONDARY TO THE CAR'S POLICY FOR DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO OTHER PROPERTY.

* I will make the caveat unless your policy specifically states it such as a rental car or a leased vehicle. HOWEVER policies do not state you can go drive someone else's car and your insurance covers it. While insurance policies are rated based upon who owns and drives the car on a regular basis, the coverage is for the car specifically regardless of who is driving it or if no one is driving it (like if the parking brake failed and it rolled down a hill).

Before you make posts like this calling me out why don't you call your insurance company so your agent can spell it out for you too.

No fault has nothing to do with this - no fault insurance is for medical coverage where the the drivers insurance company will cover their medical expenses in an accident regardless of fault. If that person has no insurance then the vehicle owners coverage will take care of their medical expenses. Certain states ALSO have strange guidelines regarding accident fault and who's company has to pay for damage to the insured vehicle, HOWEVER If you go ahead and look up Michigan's insurance guidelines (or whatever state you are thinking of ) you will see there are various policy types when it comes to this and it all depends on your selection when you buy the policy. Your agent should spell out the limitations of your policy before selling it to you... many don't.

You seem to feel the need to disagree with everything I say on this subject when I was a professional in the industry for MANY years, how many insurance policies have you underwritten? How many state exams have you taken? I went through a 110 hour training program just to get my license. And 30 hours a year of continuing education to keep it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin

Last edited by Rogue Leader; 12-19-2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: needed to fix my spelling.. hard to spell when seeing red
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #193
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Just to add to last nights rant, since now its not 1:30 am, anyone who doubts it go get a copy of your full auto insurance policy out. Your agent should have given you this, but they may not have, you can always ask for it, I think some companies even have a section you can download it on their site. Look up the collision - definitions section and you will see what they policy covers. Obviously it covers the cars you own as declared on the policy.

However you will see the section for non-owned autos that section will refer to vehicles furnished for your use on a regular basis, it should give examples such as rental or leased vehicles. As well this would cover if for example your employer gave you a company car furnished for your personal use (i.e. an executive who gets a car as a perk, but it wont cover business use such as if you're a plumber and your company provides you with a van). After that you will see an exclusion that should read something like temporary substitute auto, this specifically is the exclusion that prevents you from making a collision claim on a car you have borrowed.

Earlier in your policy declarations it states that YOUR policy coverage covers you and any person you allow access to use your vehicle. The technicalities on that we could go into all day but the basic gist of it is the coverage follows the car no matter who is driving it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #194
BumbleBeeSS2009

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
only read the first couple pages and the last so forgive me if it's been brought up before but it seems like money might be tight - so here's my suggestion:

since the title is clear - why dont you go to your local bank and look at a car loan? you could probably get upwards of 95% of the cars value and use that money to fix it and have dad pay it off over the course of the next 5+ years....

Just an idea - just trying to help out

btw - hope dads doing good

#52325 Delivered 11/07/2009
BumbleBeeSS2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #195
The Black Stig

Drives: almost
Quote:
Thanks!.. I was very surprised at how affordable the parts are, which really turned the idea of selling into more of HEY, we can fix this!! I'm still waiting for prices on windshield, and bags, but the rest looks promising. I'm also going to pull apart the door tomorrow to see if I can get that rolled up to seal the car up better. If things go well, as soon as christmas gets over with, and I finish up something else i'm working on, we can get the ball rolling on this.

I was going to hold off on posting a pic, but I don't see what harm it can do.

I see lots of aftermarket parts in your future...... Also what about finding a wrecked one with a good front clip and grafting it?
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #196
Diabel1969

Been looking at one, but it's not an SS nose, and the guys price is kind of high in comparison to buying the parts right from GM..