Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
onoahimahi

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
Is my cold engine behavior normal (2014 LS3)?

Hi - I have a new-to-me 2014 SS manual transmission that is going out of warranty in a few months. For the first couple of minutes after a cold start, it seems to alternately bog and surge a little bit. It is most noticeable in first gear with clutch all the way out. After a few minutes it is fine. I bought it in May and it did this all summer even though the weather was warm, say 65-70 degrees when starting. Now that the weather is actually cold, say 40 degrees in the morning, the starting RPMs seem a bit higher and the surging /bogging is less noticeable. Again, after a couple of minutes everything is fine.

Is this more-or-less normal cold engine behavior for this motor? If so, I'm not going to ask my dealer to look at it. If not, I'll ask them to look before it goes out of warranty.

Thanks,
-Scott
onoahimahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Normal for it to go to a higher warm up rpm for a minute.... Operating better in colder weather means your of course engine is liking the denser colder air to match via ECU the fuel coming in making it run richer, I would suggest regular cleaning of the air filter and replacement of the stock crap box with a re-cleanable element like the CAI cold air inductions , a install of the oil catch can say from elite industries to keep the intake tract clean and cleaning and reinstalling the MAF along with checking the tightness of the intake air tube connections...

Just stuff IMO, but the stock intake tube....Fugly and not something you want to see looking under the hood let alone to show anyone else.... I cannot relate to the bogging I am customized and tuned and well..a different animal.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
as above and check that MAF is the strong ver(look it up) and since the warranty is almost gone...TUNE TIME...if not already..I use dynoSteve at RDP...

and when the cold weather moves in mine still likes to act like a carb car until completely warmed up, have to modulate the gas/clutch a bit more but has NEVER stalled on me. Good Luck..

BTW - I also run a bottle of something like HEET etc in the gas to remove any summer humidity moisture and clean out the injectors every fall...
Old 11-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
onoahimahi

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
I should mention that this car has been used very little and only has 8000 miles on it. It is a convertible that was only used in the summer by the previous owner.

-Scott
onoahimahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
Do you run premium and have you done a fuse pull to reset the fuel tables?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
V8only

Drives: 2012 camaro 45th 2ss/rs Centri SC
mine will surge slightly on cold startup in first gear. no bogging though
V8only is offline   Reply With Quote