Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Question Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback + LT=too loud?

I have the Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback. I love how it sounds on it's own but will it be too loud when I add the long tues with high flow cats? If so is there any way I could quiet it down?

Last edited by stt816; 12-03-2013 at 06:01 PM.
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
What is too loud is something that is completely subjective. For me, the answer is no. The Retro Chambered cat back and LT headers are not too loud for me. It is certainly aggressive and is going to turn heads but it is not obnoxious and is not disruptive inside the cabin. If you installed it and did feel that it was too loud for you, you could install a resonator to tone it down.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
stt816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
What is too loud is something that is completely subjective. For me, the answer is no. The Retro Chambered cat back and LT headers are not too loud for me. It is certainly aggressive and is going to turn heads but it is not obnoxious and is not disruptive inside the cabin. If you installed it and did feel that it was too loud for you, you could install a resonator to tone it down.
yeah I'm only 22, guess i need to stop acting like an old man and live it up haha. If i did want to quiet it down, the resonator would be the only option opposed to changing out the catback? How much would it quiet it down exactly, and which resonator would I be getting?

Last edited by stt816; 12-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
yeah I'm only 22, guess i need to stop acting like an old man and live it up haha. If i did want to quiet it down, the resonator would be the only option opposed to changing out the catback? How much would it quiet it down exactly, and which resonator would I be getting?
No, there would be all kinds of options but the resonator would probably be the cheapest and most cost effective. Probably $100 or so for the resonator and maybe another $100 to have it installed. I don't know how to quantify exactly how much it would quieten it but it would be noticeable. I would probably go with a 3 inch Magnaflow resonated x-pipe.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
I'm assuming it will be MUCH louder, but thats up to you if its to much or not. Some people think my car is loud..and it IS when I lay into it...but overall, its fine to me.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Schmidty
Facebook.com/SoCalCamaro5

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
I got my Stainless Works 3" Retro Chambered Catback Exhaust and Stainless Works LT Headers from Apex. I completely agree with Chase. It's aggressive and will get the looks, but its not obnoxious at all. My favorite thing about my car is how she sounds!
Old 12-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
stt816

Thanks for all the responses, Just got my Jannetty Tune in the mail today, waiting on the long tubes now....would love to hear from more of you with this setup
Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
be nice if there was desable specs so we know how loud.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
sound clips please.......
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I got my Stainless Works 3" Retro Chambered Catback Exhaust and Stainless Works LT Headers from Apex. I completely agree with Chase. It's aggressive and will get the looks, but its not obnoxious at all. My favorite thing about my car is how she sounds!
Thank you for your business. Glad to hear you love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver2 View Post
sound clips please.......
Retro Chambered cat back only

Retro Chambered cat back and Stainless Works Headers 1 7/8" headers with high flow cats.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
I have SW retros with LTs and it is so perfect. Only real loud when getting on it hard and the initial startup. just a nice growl otherwise.

The combo sounds really really good, and the additional power is nice too.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
stt816

when it does the drive by in that video, it seems to have too much rasp for my liking, would the resonator fix that?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
I have SW retros with LTs and it is so perfect. Only real loud when getting on it hard and the initial startup. just a nice growl otherwise.

The combo sounds really really good, and the additional power is nice too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
when it does the drive by in that video, it seems to have too much rasp for my liking, would the resonator fix that?
I can tell you that in person there is no rasp with that system. I think what you are noticing is the sound level peaking out the microphone when the car gets right next to it. But yes, a resonator would eliminate that sort of thing. Make sure you go with high flow cats. They will deepen the tone versus off road pipes.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #14
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Are there any headers you can pair with the retro catback that will give you the horsepower benefit but not impact the sound much?

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote