Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
Big brother watching...State Farm

Just got a letter in the mail from State Farm saying if I sign up for the Drive Safe and Save program, I'll get a discount up to 5% for just signing up....BUT, when I read about it more here, they finally say they'd be using my camaro's "OnStar®, In-Drive®, or SYNC®" communication service to collect basic information about my driving. Aghhh....I'm no street racer, but I'm not too crazy about my Insurance company knowing exactly how I like to drive my car. I guess this is one of those things that could totally back-fire in my face! Anyone on here using this yet? ...or would you sign up to save some $$$?
Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
2Carats

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Ummm, no and no.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
If you don't like the idea, then don't sign-up. Simple.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
hahaha no way they don't need to get that personal...
Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
At least they asked before doing. I'm happy about that.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
For me, that would work out to $30 savings, annually.

It's not worth it if they ever use that data to deny claims or charge extra premiums based on my driving style, or could eventually provide that data to law enforcement.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I cannot fathom how poorly that would work out for me. They'd give me the discount for signing up, then dump me after a week of seeing how I REALLY drive.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
But, hey, Kalifornia and Oregon are kicking off a new program shortly, which will charge drivers by the mile (purportedly in lieu of paying gasoline taxes at the pump), using tracking devices (voluntary for now, but they HOPE to have in mandated in ALL vehicles within a few years) that track a vehicle's every move. The stated goal of this program is boldly blaze a trail for this next step in Big Brother's ability to track us so that EVERY state in the U.S. follows suit.

George Orwell had NOTHING on us...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
5% lol I wouldn't do it for 25%
Old 10-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #10
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Hahaha i guess being my onstar is disconnected and out of my ss I wont get the discount
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
But, hey, Kalifornia and Oregon are kicking off a new program shortly, which will charge drivers by the mile (purportedly in lieu of paying gasoline taxes at the pump), using tracking devices (voluntary for now, but they HOPE to have in mandated in ALL vehicles within a few years) that track a vehicle's every move. The stated goal of this program is boldly blaze a trail for this next step in Big Brother's ability to track us so that EVERY state in the U.S. follows suit.

^ Are you serious?!! Hopefully that won't pass! That is a complete disregard of everyone's privacy! I miss Cali, but this is insane!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post

"If you think this sounds like another way for government to invade personal privacy, you're not alone: the American Civil Liberties Union has expressed concerns about unapproved tracking, and privacy was the top concern of those who took part in Oregon's trial. The California law requires the test panel to address privacy worries, but also says the system must take into account "public and private agency access, including law enforcement," of any data it collects."
~ quoted from: https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...175305098.html

I hope that the American Civil Liberties Union can help us out.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr1 View Post
Just got a letter in the mail from State Farm saying if I sign up for the Drive Safe and Save program, I'll get a discount up to 5% for just signing up....BUT, when I read about it more here, they finally say they'd be using my camaro's "OnStar®, In-Drive®, or SYNC®" communication service to collect basic information about my driving. Aghhh....I'm no street racer, but I'm not too crazy about my Insurance company knowing exactly how I like to drive my car. I guess this is one of those things that could totally back-fire in my face! Anyone on here using this yet? ...or would you sign up to save some $$$?
Big Brother? The publicly traded company, State Farm, is Big Brother to you?

They're requesting that you offer them the ability to review your driving for safety in exchange for a discount on being a customer with lower liability for INSURANCE purposes. It's in the name: "Drive Safe and Save Program"

They don't care how you drive, they care about how much it costs to insure your driving ability based on probability of accident. It's comparable to offering coupons to save money on groceries but only if you manage to seek them out and bring them to the store.

This is not a "Big Brother" tactic, and you're being both foolish and paranoid if you choose to be cynical about something that's optional to save you money. Just let it be.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Someone must have taken the fuse out on mine " WE DON'T GOT TO SHOW YOU NO STINKING ONSTAR "
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...77880786,d.aWw