Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Don_G

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
First camaro ss questions

Hello everyone new member here!! i have recently purchased a 2012 camaro ss (45th). Im enjoyig every moment so far but its just stock and i feel it needs more to it.. i have planned on lowering it and maybe switching the exhaust later on.. but as of now what would be some the first things i should do or add to a used manual ss? I have literally no knowledge when it comes to cars. Which is why I purchased this vehicle to learn as i go.
Attached Images

Don_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
You're going to get a million different answers so I'll just tell you what I did with mine. first thing I did since my paint was still showroom quality is I had the front fascia, front 3rd of hood, rockers, mirrors and 'gills' wrapped with the 3M PP film. Then I tinted my windows. I then dressed up the engine bay with cosmetic stuff (IMO the CAI is basically cosmetic). I then lowered the car with the Eibach Pro + kit and got a new set of wheels and tires (square stance)

That transpired over roughly a 2 yr period. I'm now at the performance upgrade stage and am gearing up to do a supercharger system and LT headers.
Good luck!

Last edited by UBB; 02-15-2018 at 02:28 PM.
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
U LUZE

Drives: 2012 ZL1
First easy mod is a CAI. That will get you a few extra horses. I prefer Roto-Fab. You could do a tune as well depending on how far you want to take it. I have a ZL1 so we're comparing apples to oranges but the Roto-Fab and Jannetty Racing tune really woke mine up.
U LUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_G View Post
Hello everyone new member here!! i have recently purchased a 2012 camaro ss (45th). Im enjoyig every moment so far but its just stock and i feel it needs more to it.. i have planned on lowering it and maybe switching the exhaust later on.. but as of now what would be some the first things i should do or add to a used manual ss? I have literally no knowledge when it comes to cars. Which is why I purchased this vehicle to learn as i go.
Are you feeling it needs more power or more personal style? I always feel that the wheels make the car. That's where i always start.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
Are you feeling it needs more power or more personal style? I always feel that the wheels make the car. That's where i always start.
Don_G. Those wheels and your car are perfect. IMO change for changes
sake is not usually a good thing. Aftermarket exhaust and keep it clean
and detailed and your good to go.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Don_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBB View Post
You're going to get a million different answers so I'll just tell you what I did with mine. first thing I did since my paint was still showroom quality is I had the front fascia, front 3rd of hood, rockers, mirrors and 'gills' wrapped with the 3M PP film. Then I tinted my windows. I then dressed up the engine bay with cosmetic stuff (IMO the CAI is basically cosmetic). I then lowered the car with the Eibach Pro + kit and got a new set of wheels and tires (square stance)

That transpired over roughly a 2 yr period. I'm now at the performance upgrade stage and am gearing up to do a supercharger system and LT headers.
Good luck!

How much did you lower it? What are some good manufacturers
Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Don_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by U LUZE View Post
First easy mod is a CAI. That will get you a few extra horses. I prefer Roto-Fab. You could do a tune as well depending on how far you want to take it. I have a ZL1 so we're comparing apples to oranges but the Roto-Fab and Jannetty Racing tune really woke mine up.
What are some decent budget CAI brands?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
Don_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
I would say looks as of now. But performance wise what would be some easy not so expensive add ons?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Don_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Don_G. Those wheels and your car are perfect. IMO change for changes
sake is not usually a good thing. Aftermarket exhaust and keep it clean
and detailed and your good to go.
Thanks man.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #10
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
For me, my first mod is always tint.

But speaking performance wise; CAI.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #11
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
First mod I would do is lowering springs or tint. Then wheels. Then supercharger! JK, but not really. Seriously though your camaro looks good with the 45th graphics. I wouldn't do too much cosmetic wise if it were mine. Then again I'm a less is more guy when it comes to exterior cosmetics. To me the best cosmetics mods for these camaro's are lowering and wheels.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Depends on your budget and your direction. I started with springs & a ZL1 spoiler and a catch can and then went up from there. All depends on what your goal is for the car and if you want to keep the 45th a bit more 'stock' being an anniversary appearance package.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
Welcome to the site, fellow 45'r! I started with tint, side markers, heritage grill, fender stripes, then exhaust, wheels.....oh man, it never ends!
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
BigJ

Drives: Red 2013 Camaro SS, Black 1980 Z28
Cold Air Intake is definite first mod along with window tint. I've used k&n on all of my vehicles. They are reasonably priced and give you hp gains. Then you need to do wheels. Wheels and stance do a lot for a car. I lowered mine 1 1/4 inch on BMR springs.
Attached Images

BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote