Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #29
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
I need new tires and I don’t want the stock RunOnFlats.
I don’t track. I daily my car and pull hard here and there but nothing too crazy.
What’s the best tire I can find or you would recommend. Thank you in advance.
DWS06 - replaced the OEM tires on three different performance cars and they are great.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:46 AM   #30
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
My 1st replacement tires were Conti DWS06. Decent tires for an all-season, even drove it in considerable snow without much problems.
It had flat-spotting issues for the first 10-20min after a cold start.. got noisier towards the end of its life probably the last 20% or so.
Replaced them few weeks ago with BFG comp a/s.
I’m not a fan of the tread pattern/side wall design and the on-center feel is muted compared to the Contis.
But they don’t flat-spot over night and they are noticeably more comfy for daily driving.
Highway driving is definitely more pleasurable IMO.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #31
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater View Post
Replaced them a few weeks ago with BFG comp a/s.
Are these back available in stock sizes for the SS, or did you upsize?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #32
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post

I see them on Tirerack now I’m stock sizes. I’d get the Comp2- A/S or the AS-05 over the DWS06.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #33
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I went with 245/40/20 & 285/35/20.
I like how the rear tires fill up the wheel gaps a little more.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:58 AM   #34
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS
I know so little about tires. I've always owned cars with same-sized tires all around so rotating every 5000 miles is my normal (I think that generally costs $20 or so at the dealer and feels like a cheap way to attempt to get most life out of tires). I'm under the impression that the stock F1 on the SS can not be rotated in any way, because the rears and fronts are different sizes, and that the tires are asymmetric tread design so once mounted need to be kept in that position. I'm sure they are providing great traction in good weather but I find them expensive, a little harsh, and assumed short life span due to low UTQG rating and being non-rotatable. I have no interest in getting replacement wheels to attempt to square up the sizes so I'm looking at most efficient way to buy replacement quality tires and have the last as long as possible.

I just received my Modern Spare tire kit so I'm hoping to leave the world of the run-flats, so at some point I would like to switch to a cheaper, softer, longer lasting tire. It would be great if the tires could be rotated from side to side (to potentially increase tread life?) Also I'd like to drive my car year round (but not in snow) and not have to worry about the summer-only 40 degree rating on the stock tires.

1) Are my above assumptions true?
2) I've be considering the Conti's for replacement in the future but their description on Tirerack says "This compound is molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design " so I guess those can't be moved left to right.
3) Are there any tires that can be moved left right (and would that really help prolong life?), it seems that the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S tread pattern appears to be symmetrical, so maybe those could be swapped left-right? but... they only have a UTQG rating of 400 where as the Conti's show a UTQG rating of 560 and so might last longer even despite being able to be swapped side to side.
4) How often do you folks get the wheels aligned, in an attempt to keep the tires lasting as long as possible?

Looks like in the $200/tire range there's lot of choices!

Wow, that was rambly, sorry.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Be careful about what a tire may "look like". Some tires look like they might be directional, but aren't. The guides to trust are whether the sidewalls include a directional arrow, or "outside/inside" labeling, or the product description states that they are directional/unidirectional/asymmetric.

Side to side rotation is better than no rotation at all, although a couple years out or at maybe the 40% - 50% worn point you might consider doing front-rear tire swapping on the rims with rebalancing. This is something I've done with track tires on wheels that are the same width all around but have different offsets, front vs rear. Better than wearing just the fronts out a lot sooner than the rears or vice-versa.

Except for really huge differences in treadwear ratings, save that for tiebreaker purposes between/among tires that meet your tire performance requirements (mainly dry/wet braking, dry/wet cornering in your case). A better performing tire with a lower treadwear rating is usually the better choice unless you're running up the miles at some unusually rapid rate.

On the subject of alignment generally, it's not nearly as difficult to check this yourself as the fancy alignment racks suggest that it is. Even if you don't attempt any adjustments yourself, you'll avoid the time and expense of having it checked when it doesn't need adjusting. FWIW, optimum alignment for you and your driving might not be exactly the factory's preferred settings.

Norm
Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #36
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadden2 View Post
I know so little about tires. I've always owned cars with same-sized tires all around so rotating every 5000 miles is my normal (I think that generally costs $20 or so at the dealer and feels like a cheap way to attempt to get most life out of tires). I'm under the impression that the stock F1 on the SS can not be rotated in any way, because the rears and fronts are different sizes, and that the tires are asymmetric tread design so once mounted need to be kept in that position. I'm sure they are providing great traction in good weather but I find them expensive, a little harsh, and assumed short life span due to low UTQG rating and being non-rotatable. I have no interest in getting replacement wheels to attempt to square up the sizes so I'm looking at most efficient way to buy replacement quality tires and have the last as long as possible.

I just received my Modern Spare tire kit so I'm hoping to leave the world of the run-flats, so at some point I would like to switch to a cheaper, softer, longer lasting tire. It would be great if the tires could be rotated from side to side (to potentially increase tread life?) Also I'd like to drive my car year round (but not in snow) and not have to worry about the summer-only 40 degree rating on the stock tires.

1) Are my above assumptions true?
2) I've be considering the Conti's for replacement in the future but their description on Tirerack says "This compound is molded into a unique asymmetrical tread design " so I guess those can't be moved left to right.
3) Are there any tires that can be moved left right (and would that really help prolong life?), it seems that the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S tread pattern appears to be symmetrical, so maybe those could be swapped left-right? but... they only have a UTQG rating of 400 where as the Conti's show a UTQG rating of 560 and so might last longer even despite being able to be swapped side to side.
4) How often do you folks get the wheels aligned, in an attempt to keep the tires lasting as long as possible?

Looks like in the $200/tire range there's lot of choices!

Wow, that was rambly, sorry.

The unidirectional tires can't be rotated from side to side. Asymmetric just means the tread pattern isn't the same on the inside and outside edge. Those can be swapped from side to side.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #37
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS
Thanks guys, that's good news.