Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #43
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I think that is true to a large degree but GM underrated the 302. I saw stock dyno RWHP numbers that were close to 290.... So allowing for drivetrain loss I would be close on the crank number.

But I agree the testing in those days had just the motor & nothing connected I believe. I did a bit of reading on the 302 today and thats where I got some of my info I noted. I always admired them since I was a young lad.
The GM 302 is news to me. I always identified the 302 with Mustang & the 305 with GM vehicles.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #44
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyProjects View Post
You know someone is reaching... when they bring up how a car idles ....
my point was that in the old days you would need a large camshaft and lumpy idle to produce 1.5 horsepower per cubic inch.but i did prove right when i said some knuckle dragger would poop all over this thread,didnt i?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #45
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
All modern V6’s make more HP than the V8’s of yore.

Did we really need four pages and 40 some odd posts to come to that conclusion?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #46
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
The GM 302 is news to me. I always identified the 302 with Mustang & the 305 with GM vehicles.
The SBC 302 had only a short life; after 1969 (IIRC) the SCCA allowed the 5.0 liter displacement limit to be achieved by destroking or deboring engines of larger displacement. Consequently, Chevy basically destroked the 350, which had already superseded the 327.

Perhaps by fortunate coincidence, the early 302 CID engines were the dimensional result of the 327's bore and the 283's stroke. I'm sure that at least simplified the matter of getting it OK'ed for production.

The number may be more recognizable as a "Ford number" for the simple reason that Ford added the 'Boss' tag to it and pasted that on the cars and all over the advertising. Especially among enthusiasts born after SCCA's requirement that the 302 be homologated in production as a 302 went away.

Norm
Old 06-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #47
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
It wasn't about that. More about power to displacement and where in the rpm range the power is/was being made.

Norm
Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #48
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It wasn't about that. More about power to displacement and where in the rpm range the power is/was being made.

Norm
I know, but still apples and oranges. .
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #49
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
I know, but still apples and oranges. .
We live in a different time. There aren't any regular-production 454's or 460's any more, either. Both sides of the comparison moved down (by about 100 CID, give or take).

Norm
Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #50
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:

Did we really need four pages and 40 some odd posts to come to that conclusion?
I don't know, are you with the internet bandwidth police or something?

These ARE enthusiast discussion forums and people like to talk about car related stuff. If I made a rule of not talking about things I already knew or were discussed previously, I wouldn't be talking much at all at car shows or posting much on message forums.

Sometimes through the process of discussion, new things are learned or at least a different perspective is achieved.

However, I think the original premise was about how the V6 was more true to the concept of the "302" in the original Z28 than what was eventually used (the LS7) in the 5th gen Z28.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #51
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I don't know, are you with the internet bandwidth police or something?

These ARE enthusiast discussion forums and people like to talk about car related stuff. If I made a rule of not talking about things I already knew or were discussed previously, I wouldn't be talking much at all at car shows or posting much on message forums.
If people weren't allowed to discuss what I already know, there wouldn't be a forum.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #52
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Yeah, I know about the 302 max displacement thing. However, having a F.I. powered Z28 would be somewhat redundant since the ZL1 was already in production the two years before in '12.

However, it's interesting to note that the rules only allowed N/A, but the displacement ban was lifted over the years.

They moved to HP/weight.
Still, the Z/28 was restricted on the intake opening.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #53
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
i think i might be a odd ball in the whole group here. im a big 6 cylinder fan, v6 I6 flat 6. I enjoy the sounds these engines make. i grew up around a lot of German cars all of them a 6 cylinder of some kind. im to young to have, had the chance to drive a V8 outside of the Ford world and those being a 4.6 modular v8. and a 351 Cleveland in my 1988 F150.

with a V8 i just want a nice stretch of black top and hammer it down. i want it to chop at idle pound the ground and just cruise around.

its hard, i enjoy both 6 cylinders and 8 cylinders.

my V6 right now is just a DD for me tell its payed off
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #54
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
i think i might be a odd ball in the whole group here. im a big 6 cylinder fan, v6 I6 flat 6. I enjoy the sounds these engines make.
It's an individual thing and you aren't alone. Friend of mine back in the day had an XKE 2+2, and I've had three cars with OHC V6 engines. You could play a sweet little tune running the little 2.5L in the 626 we had up and down through the gears.

Among V8's, if you ever get a chance to drive an F430, jump on it.

Norm
Old 06-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #55
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I was a fan of the sound of the V-8 in my 928, but the Corvette got me back into the SBC.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #56
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
i think i might be a odd ball in the whole group here. im a big 6 cylinder fan, v6 I6 flat 6. I enjoy the sounds these engines make. i grew up around a lot of German cars all of them a 6 cylinder of some kind. im to young to have, had the chance to drive a V8 outside of the Ford world and those being a 4.6 modular v8. and a 351 Cleveland in my 1988 F150.

with a V8 i just want a nice stretch of black top and hammer it down. i want it to chop at idle pound the ground and just cruise around.

its hard, i enjoy both 6 cylinders and 8 cylinders.

my V6 right now is just a DD for me tell its payed off
Really, all engine types have their advantages when paired to the right car. My first car was a 1987 Acura Integra. 1.6L DOHC engine with a 7000 rpm redline. Not super powerful but with the 5 speed manual, it was a blast. A buddy had an MR2 with an 8000 rpm redline. We’d swap driving each as they both were great cars to run around in.

My dad has a 1987 Mustang GT vert and driving the 5 speed 5.0 is another type of experience that’s easy (very easy) to like.

And then I enjoy the V6 in my current Camaro for what it is - a high revving, high tech DOHC V6 that makes plenty of power to have a little fun on the back roads or highway entrance ramp.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote