Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #113
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Really? Do you not like the power? I guess I'm finding it difficult to understand how the 2010 Interior can be a home run, and this one is "ho-hum"...when very few things changed...

And styling, is of course, objective....compared to the ZL1, I look at the Leno car now and see an SS with slots cut in the hood, and a diffuser added to the chin. I guess I'm seeing the ZL1's bodywork in both an aesthetic and functional light...combined it makes for a beautiful piece of work in my eyes.
Said much more diplomatically than I could ever have done.

I'm just keeping my early 2010 2SS/RS stock with the origional GM Performance Division badge and chicklets in place. With all the changes everybody's makin with their cars.. this is gonna be a rare one in 30 years!

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #114
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Really? Do you not like the power? I guess I'm finding it difficult to understand how the 2010 Interior can be a home run, and this one is "ho-hum"...when very few things changed...

And styling, is of course, objective....compared to the ZL1, I look at the Leno car now and see an SS with slots cut in the hood, and a diffuser added to the chin. I guess I'm seeing the ZL1's bodywork in both an aesthetic and functional light...combined it makes for a beautiful piece of work in my eyes.
I was looking for something better for a top of the line Camaro (45-50k) other then suede. So yes ho hum for me. I love power, but there is a balance. I have two cars with power, but I was looking for a NA car with light weight platform. For example the 04 ZO6 is still very dominant at the local track level, mostly due to weight and power "w/ some basic upgrades and still be NA".

Last edited by GrnMchin; 02-16-2011 at 08:54 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #115
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
I was looking for something better for a top of the line Camaro (45-50k) other then suede. So yes ho hum for me. I love power, but there is a balance. I have two cars with power, but I was looking for a NA car with light weight platform. For example the 04 ZO6 is still very dominant at the local track level, mostly due to weight and power w/ some basic upgrades and still be NA.
Gotcha! The formula they used for this car is just not up your alley. Understandable. I hope...to some extent....the performance numbers released this summer will comfort those with doubts about the cars ability to handle itself around a track.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #116
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
Gotcha! The formula they used for this car is just not up your alley. Understandable. I hope...to some extent....the performance numbers released this summer will comfort those with doubts about the cars ability to handle itself around a track.
The car has some cool aspects and I hope that it puts up some great numbers, but like you said I was thinking 180 out from where they went and not for me at this time. I'm happy w/ our 2010 SS and hope they make something aimed more to my liking. I may end up w/ a vette or Ford product if the Z never happens. The appeal of a two door four seat-er that can whoop some @ss is more my cup of tea. Thats why I own a No-go Nova.

Last edited by GrnMchin; 02-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #117
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
The appeal of a two door four seat-er that can whoop some @ss is more my cup of tea.
I'm confused again....
Old 02-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #118
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
I'm confused again....
Meaning a Mustang over a Vette unless the Z is made, but a Vette because I have never bought a Ford product and it might just kill me if I had to buy one. Time will tell. 5 yrs give GM some time.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #119
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Meaning a Mustang over a Vette, but a Vette because I have never bought a Ford product..
Ahhh...okay.

In my head -- I saw "two door four seater", and "kick some ass"

And I minimized all my windows to look at the ZL1 desktop....and got all squinty-eyed goin' "whaaaa??"

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #120
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Quote:
Ahhh...okay.

In my head -- I saw "two door four seater", and "kick some ass"

And I minimized all my windows to look at the ZL1 desktop....and got all squinty-eyed goin' "whaaaa??"

Ya I can be a little confusing at times..
Old 02-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #121
swizz

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS Black
Twin Turbo V6 1LT trim. End of story.
swizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #122
RonC

Drives: 2010 2SS - RS
My Ideal Z-28 Engine

I see a lot of good ideas and input about about a possible Z/28 addition to the great Camaro line-up and thought I would add another suggestion to the mix.

I remember being amazed by the new 302 - Z/28 and how well they performed in 1969. GM didn't come up with something new and exotic as much as they just used some of the best parts they already had and made a different combo. They took the biggest bore small block, short crank, best heads, cam, intake, drive train, etc. and put it all together in a Camaro. The rest is history, a legend was born and hot-rodders had a good source of affordable GM performance parts.

I personally would like to see them do that again and build a new reasonably priced Z/28 engine made up of GM's best production parts they already make that could be assembly line produced such as;

Standard Production Line 4.125" Bore Block - Wet Sump

Standard Production Line LS7 Style Heads with LS3 Light Weight Valves - (No CNC or Ti Valves)

LS7 Intake, LS7 Cam & Lifters

LSA Forged 3.62" Crank, LSA Rods = 387 Cu. In. or 6.3L

Or 4.8L 3.26" Crank = 349.4 Cu. In. or 5.7L

ZL1 HD Drive train

I don't think this engine would cost much more than an LS3 and would be a great source of affordable HP parts. It would be a better performer than an SS and less than a ZL1 and could be put together rather quickly so we could have it soon in the C5 Camaro.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #123
swizz

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I see a lot of good ideas and input about about a possible Z/28 addition to the great Camaro line-up and thought I would add another suggestion to the mix.

I remember being amazed by the new 302 - Z/28 and how well they performed in 1969. GM didn't come up with something new and exotic as much as they just used some of the best parts they already had and made a different combo. They took the biggest bore small block, short crank, best heads, cam, intake, drive train, etc. and put it all together in a Camaro. The rest is history, a legend was born and hot-rodders had a good source of affordable GM performance parts.

I personally would like to see them do that again and build a new reasonably priced Z/28 engine made up of GM's best production parts they already make that could be assembly line produced such as;

Standard Production Line 4.125" Bore Block - Wet Sump

Standard Production Line LS7 Style Heads with LS3 Light Weight Valves - (No CNC or Ti Valves)

LS7 Intake, LS7 Cam & Lifters

LSA Forged 3.62" Crank, LSA Rods = 387 Cu. In. or 6.3L

Or 4.8L 3.26" Crank = 349.4 Cu. In. or 5.7L

ZL1 HD Drive train

I don't think this engine would cost much more than an LS3 and would be a great source of affordable HP parts. It would be a better performer than an SS and less than a ZL1 and could be put together rather quickly so we could have it soon in the C5 Camaro.
I'd put it like this. The Z28 should be a V6 killer. So with that being said, twin turbo the sucker. Keep HP just under LS3 engine. Keep it with LT1 like trim styling and boomshakala you got yourself a nice Z28. Keep pricing btwn 28k-32k. Kinda somewhere btwn 2LT and 1SS
swizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #124
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
If Corvette>Camaro & ZR1>ZL1, then Z06>Z28.

HP, TQ, grip, & traction are the anti-gravity. The car does not have to be lighter to handle better, accelerate quicker, or go faster. Just work the HP & TQ, suspension, & tires.

Lighter weight body parts would be nice, but not needed.

Auto & Stick are required.

No, TTV6 save that for another day or the import crowd.

TTV6 would get the attitude that sounds like, "But my z28 is only a v6." Just doesn't sound right for the Z.

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #125
Nick1990

Drives: 1969 Camaro Z/28 RS Daytona Yellow
Why not have the GM Performance Parts LS 376/480 or better yet 515? Its just an LS3 with some extra goodies including a hot cam. I think it would make a good engine if no 302 is produced. No production GM car that I know of has this motor.

Here, look at them both: http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Pa...l.jsp?engine=2

Click on both engines and then click on the black bar. It goes into detail about the motors.
Nick1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #126
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1990 View Post
Why not have the GM Performance Parts LS 376/480 or better yet 515? Its just an LS3 with some extra goodies including a hot cam. I think it would make a good engine if no 302 is produced. No production GM car that I know of has this motor.

Here, look at them both: http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/Pa...l.jsp?engine=2
As good as those engines may be, they are NOT "production-car ready/certified/validated". That process is no "overniter" in any form or fashion. One word alone makes 'em unlikely: Emissions. The LSA is (and now spoken for), the LS7 and LS9 are (for Corvette), and as improvements over the LS3, that's where the list ends...

There are a lot of interesting possibilities from GM PP, but they are "for off-road use only"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote