Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Do you drive at or under the speed limit? Or do you go with traffic?

Let's say your driving on a highway which has a 55 mph speed limit. Traffic is going around 75 - 80. You see a cop sitting in the median and don't think anything of it because "you're going with traffic." Well what do you know, the cop sees you in your new ZL1 and pulls you over. He decides that "going with traffic" isn't an excuse for you to be doing 10 - 15 over. You go to court, and what do you know; the Judge doesn't care that you were "going with traffic." You're now stuck with the ticket and the court fees.

Now, if you had a Valentine1 this would have been a different story. You're going with traffic, doing 10 -15 over, when all of a sudden your V1 starts beeping. You don't see a cop, but slow down to the speed limit anyway. Well a mile down the road you see a cop sitting in the median clocking people. You drive by doing the speed limit, and don't get a ticket.
You the ZL1 will still get the ticket , this time for going 10 to 15 miles below traffic , it's a very dangerous move [lots a cars behind you ] = rear ended , in another words you are f up either way .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You the ZL1 will still get the ticket , this time for going 10 to 15 miles below traffic , it's a very dangerous move [lots a cars behind you ] = rear ended , in another words you are f up either way .
Slow lane. Whenever I'm driving on the highway I'm in the slow lane. I keep pace with the fast lane but stay in the slow lane. It's safer. When was the last time you saw a cop sitting off on the right side of the road? They hang out in the median so they can clock the people in the fast lane.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
hehe you must of driven in Atlanta traffic, either the "atlanta" 400 or the 285 "raceway"....you drive under 70 and your going to get honked at and eventually rearended........
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
J666

Drives: Camaro
Generally, the folks who purchase these radars do it so they don't get a ticket for going 5 or 10 over the speed limit.
J666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
By the way, For those that do use...

http://www.radarbusters.com/rddtestingarticle.cfm
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
By the way, For those that do use...

http://www.radarbusters.com/rddtestingarticle.cfm
Yes, but you don't have to worry. Radar detectors are LEGAL in all states except Virginia and the District of Columbia
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
motorhead

Quote:
Yes, but you don't have to worry. Radar detectors are LEGAL in all states except Virginia and the District of Columbia
There's a lot of good info on that site from one of the leaders in the industry.

I however don't know if he is tied to any of the companies he plugs.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
I bought one back in 1990, bought it in the morning - pulled over that night for speeding. Nothing beats reading the road and trusting your eyes.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Im not sure if you think everyone is trying to go 200mph on the street or what, but I do tend to drive faster than the posted limits, I never drive to fast for conditions or control, but I tend to drive 5-10 mph over the limit on interstates and hwys. Doesnt mean im opening up my car to see just how fast it will go when I go to the grocery store.

I don't think everyone is trying to do 200 on the street. But half of what I see people get them is for street racing or doing 30+ over. I believe there is people that do have one for 5-10mph over the limit. But if I need to speed even that over the limit, I wonder why I didn't leave earlier
Quote:
Do you drive at or under the speed limit? Or do you go with traffic?

Let's say your driving on a highway which has a 55 mph speed limit. Traffic is going around 75 - 80. You see a cop sitting in the median and don't think anything of it because "you're going with traffic." Well what do you know, the cop sees you in your new ZL1 and pulls you over. He decides that "going with traffic" isn't an excuse for you to be doing 10 - 15 over. You go to court, and what do you know; the Judge doesn't care that you were "going with traffic." You're now stuck with the ticket and the court fees.

Now, if you had a Valentine1 this would have been a different story. You're going with traffic, doing 10 -15 over, when all of a sudden your V1 starts beeping. You don't see a cop, but slow down to the speed limit anyway. Well a mile down the road you see a cop sitting in the median clocking people. You drive by doing the speed limit, and don't get a ticket

I drive at the speed limit, because I've never been in the cause to have to drive with traffic unless it's backed up like no other. I mean like said before there is a slow lane for a reason. I use the fast lane to get up to speed and pass a slow poke going 5-10 under.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
There's a lot of good info on that site from one of the leaders in the industry.

I however don't know if he is tied to any of the companies he plugs.
I'd say he gets some sort of perk. He sells radar detectors from every company except Valentine1 - when V1 has been one of the leading detectors for like 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
So even when you're passing people in the "slow" lane, you're still driving at or below the speed limit?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Quote:
So even when you're passing people in the "slow" lane, you're still driving at or below the speed limit?
Sorry updated the post a few secs before you posted this. I drive at speed limit to pass someone doing 5-10 under
Old 05-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
oldfriend

Quote:
Slow lane. Whenever I'm driving on the highway I'm in the slow lane. I keep pace with the fast lane but stay in the slow lane. It's safer. When was the last time you saw a cop sitting off on the right side of the road? They hang out in the median so they can clock the people in the fast lane.
I see it EVERY DAY about 430 /5 pm PST on east bond 580 SAN LEANDRO CA , right after FOOTHILL EXIT under the tee trees off the roadway and pointing something to the oncoming traffic , one thing is for sure , it's not a GOPRO camera , you got the drift ?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
oldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
hehe you must of driven in Atlanta traffic, either the "atlanta" 400 or the 285 "raceway"....you drive under 70 and your going to get honked at and eventually rearended........
Most likely both .
Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #28
motorhead

Quote:
I'd say he gets some sort of perk. He sells radar detectors from every company except Valentine1 - when V1 has been one of the leading detectors for like 10 years

I was thinking the same. Still, a lot of good info there.