Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Having just installed the TVS2300 kit i can see why they are up there in price. The blower itself is a precision part with sub .001" tolerances and high strength metals. I'm guessing that alone would be worth $2500-$3000. More than a rear differential which is close but not quite the level of tech of the blower head unit. Then add in the manifold and intercooler, heat exchanger, pump, injectors, SCT tuner and all the other stuff. and I can easily see why they are priced the way they are.
And compared to the price of twins completely acceptable

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
What is a twin turbo kit gonna run you, parts only?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
~$6500-7500 depending on what turbos/etc. That would be complete with an SCT/Fuel/Etc. Hard parts only would be cheaper. The thing people need to realize is they don't need headers so they save $1300+ right there. They don't need to add CAIs, save $300. Don't need to add tensioners/8 rib/damper/etc to crank the boost up ($200-$1500). Super easy install and make as much power as you want.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
I find the TVS2300 to better priced for what it is then the Rearend conversion kits. They are way over price. 5000.00 and you still have to buy the center section and it uses the 9in housing you can buy for 250.00. I've bought complete Moser 9in rearends with Strange axles and complete center section for 3500. I just don't see where they get the price from. Put Camaro in the name and the price triples.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Superchargers are cheap, it's all the supporting mods that add up to big money. Ask anyone with a lot of power and they will tell you....
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
I find the TVS2300 to better priced for what it is then the Rearend conversion kits. They are way over price. 5000.00 and you still have to buy the center section and it uses the 9in housing you can buy for 250.00. I've bought complete Moser 9in rearends with Strange axles and complete center section for 3500. I just don't see where they get the price from. Put Camaro in the name and the price triples.
Haha, I was going to mention this in my post a few up from yours. Not to mention it is 60's technology that has been around forever. I can't see where the expense is in these. I built the 9" in my vega for about $2000. That was narrowed with strange axles and spool too.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Superchargers are so expensive for the same reason that divorces are expensive.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i really never seen the value in going down a supercharger route. after everything is installed and tune. and lets be honest who the hell just puts a s/c in there car?. people do other mods as well. exhaust, maybe a PSI gauge, rims and tires maybe. other supporting mods to help longevity. maybe suspension mods etc..all of that with for the most part loss of a warranty.

I feel like if you were to take that money, put it into a Zl1 the payments really wouldn't be much more, or even more at all. you will be getting a better suspension, s/c engine, better rims/tires and a warranty.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i really never seen the value in going down a supercharger route. after everything is installed and tune. and lets be honest who the hell just puts a s/c in there car?. people do other mods as well. exhaust, maybe a PSI gauge, rims and tires maybe. other supporting mods to help longevity. maybe suspension mods etc..all of that with for the most part loss of a warranty.

I feel like if you were to take that money, put it into a Zl1 the payments really wouldn't be much more, or even more at all. you will be getting a better suspension, s/c engine, better rims/tires and a warranty.

But if you don't void your warranty on the ZL1 your just another slow car at the track. I have raced 2 Stock ZL1's and beat both. Not impressed for the price.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wd3lkOUE#gid=0
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #24
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post

The value is in the desire of the individual that makes the money and spends it the way they desire, for the end result they desire...We had some clown on here under multiple acct's that was trying to tell me that if I could truly afford my car and what I've spent on it, I would have a Ferrarri or Lambo... but here's the truth... I like the Camaro, always have, always will... It's my car, my money, my desires and no one else s...European rattle box's don't do anything for me... They are for white collar guys that hold their pinkies out and wear silly looking hats and gloves while driving... I'm way to working class for that...

And as for the comment about the ZL1, feel free to go and get one... and I'll run you in the arena my car is designed for... Hennessey proved they can go 203... but it took 1.7 miles to accomplish that... I've been faster and did it in about 3/4's of a mile... blew a head gasket and still coasted through the finish line of the mile at 197...

I've sat in a few ZL1's, and they are amazing cars, no doubt... fast in a multitude of arenas... solid... etc.... I would love to have one for a daily driver and may some day... so I can leave my lowly SS for weekend runs...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #25
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Because 426 HP isn't enough HP.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Because 426 HP isn't enough HP.
^^^^ Exactly... for some... It's too much for some at the same time...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
^^^^ Exactly... for some... It's too much for some at the same time...

I added CAI/Headers thought I was done.....Nope.

Added Cam..thought I was done..... Nope.

Next is Turbo, hopefully?!? ......Doubtful.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #28
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post

I added CAI/Headers thought I was done.....Nope.

Added Cam..thought I was done..... Nope.

Next is Turbo, hopefully?!? ......Doubtful.

YSI going in this year and once again I'm saying I'm Done!
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote