Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Unhappy Paint issue?

Just noticed this for the first time when hand washing my car... Now I have moved to a new place and unfortunately I'm stuck parking under a tree so the birds are having a blast painting my car...

But, so I tried cleaning it, waxing it, alcohol, bug cleaner, and nothing has removed it... It looks like scratches but its identical on both sides of the vehicle in the same spot and doesn't feel like a scratch it's smooth to the touch. Only thing I was thinking was maybe salt from the winter roads ate the paint up? I mean I've gone to a new touchless carwash down here, but can't see how that would have caused this. No one has hit me and I haven't hit any curbs, what's going on?

My 2015 Mustang same color (darker blue and not as beautiful) survived all winter driving it a lot more than I did this year with my Camaro and yea it had a bunch of rock chips in the front (Camaro has one), but it never had paint issues like this...

No idea what's going on. Thanks for any input Sorry if the pictures aren't the best, but that's what it looks like.
Attached Images

My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Looks like deformity by being blasted of the film. Remove and replace with xpel.

And above all, mount the splash guards
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Try re-shooting the pictures on a surface that isn't asphalt and they might show up better. I will ask this question because I might have seen something similar but it's hard to tell by your pictures. Does it look like the paint has hundreds or thousands of little tiny chips in it from the bottom of where the rear paint film is applied to a section say 5" above that and on both sides? If yes you are not the only person that has that happening. We don't but I saw a black (not mbm) '16 that was as I described above. It looked awful. I asked if he lived on a dirt or gravel road and the guy stated he did not and didn't know how it was happening but speculated it was because that was the widest body line on the side of the car and thus catching road debris. Again, his speculation but I would need to see better pictures of your car to see if it was what I saw on his.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
NY Andrew

What do you mean blasted of the film? How would I remove the film?

I will try to post up better pictures tomorrow, but yes it is exactly as described above... So seems like if there's more than one case something went wrong during the pairing process in the assembly line? It's weird how it's the same amount and in exact spot on both sides.. Assuming at this rate seems like it'll work its way up the entire vehicle over time. Hope I'm wrong but regardless hoping to get an answer here or whenever I get around to bringing it in to Chevrolet. This is ridiculous, seems like the longer you have the car he more issues appear over time...quality holds my ass.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
You can clearly see that it's a film on the paint meant to protect that area by GM. I can see the line in your picture that I've illustrated in red. Peel it off with some 3M adhesive remover, and either get the part from GM to replace it and/or get some XPEL. The areas that are dented with that don't have film , will have to be compounded and polished out. And like I said , if you're going to run roads That throw up this much stuff,you need splash guards

GM didn't really do anything wrong here, you just blasted the hell out of the sides of your your car…it happens.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #6
NY Andrew

Oh wow I see what you're saying! It actually goes up couple inches higher I believe. So you're saying this is 100% on my end? See I used to drive on an easement but it was only 200 feet.. Haven't been on it in a month and just noticed this yesterday. I don't drive on dirt or gravel roads that's why I'm bewildered. I'll look into splash guards I guess wouldn't hurt and might help appearance. I'll wait to check into the other stuff to see if anyone else chimes in first.

Edit: Was looking into splash guards...then it clicked they go behind the tires (brain-fart).. My paint issue is in front of the rear tires so a splash guard would do absolutely nothing because the issue is in front of the rear tires. If the issue was behind the tires it would obviously help, but that's not the case unfortunately.

Last edited by NY Andrew; 04-13-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #7
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
Edit: Was looking into splash guards...then it clicked they go behind the tires (brain-fart).. My paint issue is in front of the rear tires so a splash guard would do absolutely nothing because the issue is in front of the rear tires. If the issue was behind the tires it would obviously help, but that's not the case unfortunately.
The fronts can kick up plenty of junk as well, I have had two small rocks scratch to the metal between the front and rear wheels. I believe the splash guards are a 4-set for all four wheel wells.

Correction: they come in two separate sets, one for the front and one for the rear.

Last edited by datboi448; 04-14-2016 at 07:49 AM.
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Andrew View Post
So you're saying this is 100% on my end?

I'll look into splash guards I guess wouldn't hurt and might help appearance. I'll wait to check into the other stuff to see if anyone else chimes in first.

It definitely looks like road debris/tire throw off from here.

On splash guards, the OEM's appear to offer very little coverage. Check the offering from RPI (and others). They offer a bit more coverage and are inexpensive.

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item....rds---stealth/

Your front tires are throwing stuff all the way to the back wheel arch so some front flaps should help here..

Tags
paint