Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
phdjent
Evan "FRESHAYR"

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51, 2014 Jeep SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoff2 View Post
Talk to me about the drone. Are there any audios on Youtube that demonstrate what this is? What does it sound like? When does it happen? Is it only an issue with non-stock exhausts?

Still waiting on my yellow/black/black ordered in November, but will be considering exhaust modification.
This really only applies to the automatic up shifting to fast and the feeling of the cylinders shutting off with the AFM. I personally haven't driven the stock exhaust to compare it to. I had my Borla S-Type put on before I drove the car home from the dealership.

The best way to describe the droan is when the car is comfortably cruising (usually between 50 & 60 mph) and the automatic has up shifted to a higher gear. So that next gear is hovering around 1000 rpm's and the note of the exhaust is so low that it causes a vibrating almost ear clogging low end hum. (The Droan)

I can say that after I had the car tuned, the difference was major. I drove the car all day today with the top up half the time and down the other half. Either I'm totally used to the sound or the more I break the car in the better it's been performing. It's getting smoother and quicker and I absolutely love my exhaust. I still think the car up shifts too early. Time will tell the more miles I put on the car.

This is the borla video on youtube that explains the differences in the sounds of their 3 types of exhausts. At 4:31 into the video is where you can hear the inside cabin noise of the s-type. You can clearly hear that the sound is much more deep and throaty but he's driving a manual and riding his gears much higher. If you can catch the start of the sound you hear right when he up shifts before he keeps accelerating, that's kinda the note that becomes the droanning sound while just cruising along. I can try to make a video of what my car sound like from the inside. Let me see what I can do.
This is Borla's link:
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
imoff2

Drives: Suburban '08, Camaro 2SSRS vert '11
One last question, which I should have included with the others: is droan then more an issue with automatics than manual transmissions? can it be controlled in manuals by varying either engine speed or gear?
imoff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I have the same exhaust on both my manual and my automatic. Droan is resonance, and size of the cabin, frequency of the sound, as well as amplitude, all contribute to drone. The louder the exhaust, the louder the drone will be. For my convertible, the drone is most notable between 1200 and 1500 rpm. If I'm coasting, I don't notice it, because the exhaust is not very loud. If I give it a little gas, as in going up a slow incline, the exhaust gets louder, and the drone gets louder. Theoretically, manuals should have the same drone as automatics, but I would guess people drive with manuals at a little higher rpm. Once my rpm gets above 1800, all the drone is gone. Like I said earlier, you can get rid of the drone on the highway, by shifting down into 5th. However, this will hurt your gas mileage.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Juan C

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
what is the website to get this exact exhaust system?
Juan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Hey 572-

When you did the uninstall/install, how far did you unbolt the angled rear "V" braces that go.from the trunk to the frame? When I tried mine, I only unbolted the very rear section as the center bolts (by the rear wheels) had a lot of tension on them- I was afraid somethig may shift if I removed them that I wouldn't be able to remount...therefore I struggled like crazy to remove the rear section (and evennworse re-installing it when mine didn't fit, lol)

Were you able to.remove then entire brace without any problems?

Thanks!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

And PS- Congrats on car of the week!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #21
Without Remorse

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I would love to try the touring model.

I am leaning towards the touring. I want something a little deeper and louder than stock but not too loud. I would rather stay stock than be in something that is obnoxious.

I would really love to hear one installed on an LS3 vert. Also I have been told that the GM Performance exhaust is in fact the Borla Touring. Any truth to that?

Without Remorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #22
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Hey 572-

When you did the uninstall/install, how far did you unbolt the angled rear "V" braces that go.from the trunk to the frame? When I tried mine, I only unbolted the very rear section as the center bolts (by the rear wheels) had a lot of tension on them- I was afraid somethig may shift if I removed them that I wouldn't be able to remount...therefore I struggled like crazy to remove the rear section (and evennworse re-installing it when mine didn't fit, lol)

Were you able to.remove then entire brace without any problems?

Thanks!
There was no tension on the braces. The bolts came right out, and lined right back up. Are you saying that you have side-to-side tension? If so, I don't think that is right. I can see a little up and down tension since there are 3 mounting locations. Loosen all of the bolts and see if the tension is gone. The bolts are pretty long.

Did you decide on an exhaust? If so, what?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #23
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan C View Post
what is the website to get this exact exhaust system?
From a couple of our camaro5.com sponsors:
http://www.apex-speed.com/borla-stai...pe-140280.html

http://marylandspeed.com/borla-stype...80-p-2366.html

Check your vendor of choice for package deals. Sometimes they offer a deal with an air intake or something like that.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #24
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without Remorse View Post

I am leaning towards the touring. I want something a little deeper and louder than stock but not too loud. I would rather stay stock than be in something that is obnoxious.

I would really love to hear one installed on an LS3 vert. Also I have been told that the GM Performance exhaust is in fact the Borla Touring. Any truth to that?
I have always heard that the GM Performance one was based on / made by Corsa. I don't know how to confirm though. The touring should be quiet, but with a deep throaty sound, and get pretty loud when you stomp on the gas. The sound should be no different on the outside between a coupe and a convertible. Same LS3 engine.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
There was no tension on the braces. The bolts came right out, and lined right back up. Are you saying that you have side-to-side tension? If so, I don't think that is right. I can see a little up and down tension since there are 3 mounting locations. Loosen all of the bolts and see if the tension is gone. The bolts are pretty long.

Did you decide on an exhaust? If so, what?
When.I tried my install, I first removed the rearmost center bolts with very little resistance, when I went to the center bolts on the same braces, they were dramatically tighter... may be nothing to it, but I was nervous to take them off and not get them back on! Now that the verts have been out awhile, and im not the first to experiment, i'll be less hesitant. Thanks!

Im still holding out for the Flow Master ATs... shouldn't be much longer! I've also got a deal coming on a set of long tubes that are coming off a performance shops car to convert to a turbo, got a little wait till I can swap those out, and id.rather do it all at once.