Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Ready to get the flame suit on...

Hey all ZL1 members, curious why everyone is getting a radar detector in their car. Sure it might be worth it if you speed/race on the street that often. But is it that worth it to wreck you baby, and put others and yourself in danger? You guys have track times that back up how fast this ZL1 is, what makes it necessary to go prove it to the guy who has a itchy foot.

Go ahead and debate and hate me, I just don't see the point in money for a valentine, etc. When you can put that money on mods to go make some self records.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
LOL...not very often we get hacked up by a "Vette guy....just saying, , but it's all good mate...carry on.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
LOL...not very often we get hacked up by a "Vette guy....just saying, , but it's all good mate...carry on.
haha I'm just a guy, I know I can't compete with all the 350/370z, etc. so I leave everyone be.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Not everyone, I've never owned a radar detector in my life ...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I have to agree with the OP. Take it to the track if you get the urge. I've never owned or will I ever own a radar detector.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
haha I'm just a guy, I know I can't compete with all the 350/370z, etc. so I leave everyone be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Not everyone, I've never owned a radar detector in my life ...
..neither have I SS...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Man1acs

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SS
Street and track are 2 different types of fun.
Man1acs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
The vehicle has less to do with the need for a radar detector than the driver.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
tfghung

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I find that a radar detector keeps me in line. I have not had a ticket (other than parking) or an at-fault accident and I hope to keep it that way. To me it's just another way for my brain to understand that I need to keep my cool when I am driving my speed machine. I find the beeping of it annoying and that is a good thing.
tfghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
Hey all ZL1 members, curious why everyone is getting a radar detector in their car. Sure it might be worth it if you speed/race on the street that often. But is it that worth it to wreck you baby, and put others and yourself in danger? You guys have track times that back up how fast this ZL1 is, what makes it necessary to go prove it to the guy who has a itchy foot.

Go ahead and debate and hate me, I just don't see the point in money for a valentine, etc. When you can put that money on mods to go make some self records.

Im not sure if you think everyone is trying to go 200mph on the street or what, but I do tend to drive faster than the posted limits, I never drive to fast for conditions or control, but I tend to drive 5-10 mph over the limit on interstates and hwys. Doesnt mean im opening up my car to see just how fast it will go when I go to the grocery store.

And depending on mood, quota etc, the cops will pull you over for 5 to 10 over, the last ticket I got for 11 over was $280, and I think they went easy on me. (over 20 years driving and Ive gotten 3 tickets)

so if you tend to hedge the posted limit, the detector can pay for itself if it warns you once before you see the cop.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:

Do you drive at or under the speed limit? Or do you go with traffic?

Let's say your driving on a highway which has a 55 mph speed limit. Traffic is going around 75 - 80. You see a cop sitting in the median and don't think anything of it because "you're going with traffic." Well what do you know, the cop sees you in your new ZL1 and pulls you over. He decides that "going with traffic" isn't an excuse for you to be doing 10 - 15 over. You go to court, and what do you know; the Judge doesn't care that you were "going with traffic." You're now stuck with the ticket and the court fees.

Now, if you had a Valentine1 this would have been a different story. You're going with traffic, doing 10 -15 over, when all of a sudden your V1 starts beeping. You don't see a cop, but slow down to the speed limit anyway. Well a mile down the road you see a cop sitting in the median clocking people. You drive by doing the speed limit, and don't get a ticket.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
You can cruise slow and carry a big stick AND own a V1 at the same time. I do. The cops hide themselves in the most easily ticketed places and offer citations for rediculus curcumstances. It's all about the money.
Protect yourself but be responsible and don't drive in anger or danger of anyone.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
It all depends on how hard and quick you press the skinny pedal.
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Do you drive at or under the speed limit? Or do you go with traffic?

Let's say your driving on a highway which has a 55 mph speed limit. Traffic is going around 75 - 80. You see a cop sitting in the median and don't think anything of it because "you're going with traffic." Well what do you know, the cop sees you in your new ZL1 and pulls you over. He decides that "going with traffic" isn't an excuse for you to be doing 10 - 15 over. You go to court, and what do you know; the Judge doesn't care that you were "going with traffic." You're now stuck with the ticket and the court fees.

Now, if you had a Valentine1 this would have been a different story. You're going with traffic, doing 10 -15 over, when all of a sudden your V1 starts beeping. You don't see a cop, but slow down to the speed limit anyway. Well a mile down the road you see a cop sitting in the median clocking people. You drive by doing the speed limit, and don't get a ticket.

+1
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote