Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Fast Volvo wagon?

Shortly after I got on a circle freeway to go pick up a friend at the airport I noticed a guy practically on by rear bumper in some kind of Volvo. No other traffic ahead (unusual), no cops seem to ever be in this stretch and I have never seen a deer or anything in the area so I thought I'd shake him for yuks. Long story short, for about five miles I'd floor it for a bit (in 4th) and get up to 120'ish (even did it for about a 1/4 mile up a slight hill) and would hardly pull away very much from this guy! I finally took my exit and as the other guy flew by I gave him a thumbs up out of new-found respect for whatever Volvo wagon (for God's sake!) he was driving. I only have a couple mild mods (intake, hi-flow cats) but still this surprised the hell out of me. Are there fast Volvo's out there I'm not very aware of??? Of course, there's no way to know what he might have done mod-wise but still...
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
What...!?!? You spotted the mythical Volvo Wagon HP..!? Just kidding. I've never heard of any "fast" Volvo's. Thats quite a surprise. I had an 87 240 GL and I will say that it was quicker than most would expect for a 4-cyl. I drove it in high school and put the little overdrive button to good use..! lol
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
There is a Volvo wagon in my area that is the ultimate sleeper and sounds like your suspect.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
There is a Volvo wagon in my area that is the ultimate sleeper and sounds like your suspect.
Who knows, this was in Nothern Kentucky and the Volvo had out of state plates. It is a little embarrassing to even post up this story but I was just so surprised by this guys car. I'd be cruising at maybe 80 in 5th with him close behind (I gotta give him props for never really trying to ride my bumper too overly close), then pop it into 4th and floor it. I'd quickly get up to say 117 and yeah I'd pull on him but not by nearly as much as I would have expected. Something was not stock under his hood, believe me. My car's no record breaker but it's pretty damn strong and quick, a typical mildly modded LS3.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
There are some fast Volvo wagons.

Next time take him from a dig. Their awd sucks and actually hurts launches.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
as someone who sells volvos, i can attest to how quick some of them are STOCK.

if that volvo was new-ish or new, and had volvo's T6 (turbo inline 6cyl 3.0L) engine, on paper it has 300hp and 325lb/ft of torque, but those are conservative numbers. if it had the polestar tune, it had 325hp and 354lb/ft of torque, also a conservative number. they also have very little turbo lag, even from a dig.
don't underestimate those Swedish engines

i have driven the polestar tuned S60 r-design and i gotta say, it isn't much slower than my 5.0 and it handles better and has better traction. sticker price on one of those is almost $50k new. too bad they are only available with an automatic transmission.

edit: Volvo's turbo engines are built quite stout and with a larger turbo and larger fuel injectors, they can hit 550hp without any other mods being done. with a bigger intercooler, about 600hp.
POS 2011 Mazda 3 - traded in for camaro
2001 Ford F-150 - traded in for mazda
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonrr View Post
as someone who sells volvos, i can attest to how quick some of them are STOCK.

if that volvo was new-ish or new, and had volvo's T6 (turbo inline 6cyl 3.0L) engine, on paper it has 300hp and 325lb/ft of torque, but those are conservative numbers. if it had the polestar tune, it had 325hp and 354lb/ft of torque, also a conservative number. they also have very little turbo lag, even from a dig.
don't underestimate those Swedish engines

i have driven the polestar tuned S60 r-design and i gotta say, it isn't much slower than my 5.0 and it handles better and has better traction. sticker price on one of those is almost $50k new. too bad they are only available with an automatic transmission.
Hmm, now I don't feel as bad about him almost keeping up with me. I actually didn't feel bad about how my SS was doing, just surprised at how relatively well that Volvo was doing. When I slowed to exit and rolled my window down to give him the and he sped by I heard some sort of rumbly-whoosh sound.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
was it boxy shaped or a lil more rounded shaped cause I know the boxy shaped ones are what the V70 with a I5 turbo that can be modded pretty well and I think they were sticks too?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Sounds like a Volvo V70 R...

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
The Volvo R models can be pretty fast to say the least!
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
I do believe with the right modifications, such as a turbo/turbo upgrades and a tune, those cars can move out.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Cincy10SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Sounds like a Volvo V70 R...
Yep, I looked up some articles on them and saw some pics, etc, and I'm 98% sure now that's what it was, a silver one. I have some new-found respect for what Volvo can offer; that wagon was no slouch.