Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I know i'm gonna get flamed for this but it's just my opinion

This is just my opinion/review based on my personal experience <----Disclaimer.

I have owned my 2011 SS for half a year now and never drove the V6 until my brother bought one this week. I was curious to see the difference in drivability and fully expected to notice a difference in power of course.

I was totally unimpressed with the car. Other than the good looks, I don't think I would have ever bought the V6 Camaro based on driving feel compared to other cars on the market.

The differences between the SS and RS are big. The brakes were very mushy compared to the brembo's but the steering/cornering was good. Power wise, I was very surprised how un-responsive the car felt off the line which I'm guessing is due to the way the engine technology is these days in order to get that kind of peak HP out of a 3.6L engine. I have a 300HP Grand Prix GXP which is a V8 and it will rip the tires loose way harder and pull stronger than the V6 Camaro off the line (both automatics). It seems as though they can't get the low end torque out of that engine and I could barely chip the tires with no weight in back. Once the car got moving, then I could feel the power come on and she moved pretty good but it felt like the engine wanted to explode and the sound was horrible coming from it. The exhaust is of course terrible stock.

So in short, the only message I want to convey is that if anyone is considering the V6 v.s. V8 versions of car, and cost is not a factor, I think you should definitely try both before making a decision because for me, the difference was huge.

More disclaimer: I am not intending any disrespect to those who have bought the V6. My brother is very happy with his car since he mostly cares about the look more than anything and it has sufficient power for a bit of fun. Maybe a tune could wake up the V6? There's something in both versions of the car for everyone which is why it's such a great seller and helps those who dont' want to take the fuel hit or cost get into a nice looking car. My brother's is a bare bones base model so maybe there's other flavors with upgraded brakes etc.

Let the flaming begin as I don my flame retardant suit.....

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I never had a problem getting off the line or smoking the tires in mine when stock. No doubt it doesn't have the power of the L99/LS3, but it moves out pretty well.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Mityguy

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I never had a problem getting off the line or smoking the tires in mine when stock. No doubt it doesn't have the power of the L99/LS3, but it moves out pretty well.
Agreed, I can get mine rolling, the other day I was able to get ahead of a 09 mustang GT with a Cold Air intake and some odd exhaust. He was making atleast 300HP to the ground.
Mityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
low end tourque that the v8 makes is unbeatable...
hp isnt everything
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Your opinion is valid. There are several engineering reasons why the SS costs $8k more for virtually the same luxury equipment.

That is not to say a V6 is a bad investment. Compared to a similarly equipped vehicle with 300-ish horsepower, the V6 is an excellent product. Compared to a vehicle that costs $35k or more, the V6 is a terrible competitor. Likewise, the Camaro SS is a terrible competitor for a car priced in the $80k range, albeit for reasons other than performance.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
In every day driving, the biggest difference that you will notice right away is the brakes. The Brembos on the SS are great.

I hear that they will be an option on the Gen 6 V6. A V6 with a "track pack" should be a very nice driver.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
This is just my opinion/review based on my personal experience <----Disclaimer.

I have owned my 2011 SS for half a year now and never drove the V6 until my brother bought one this week. I was curious to see the difference in drivability and fully expected to notice a difference in power of course.

I was totally unimpressed with the car. Other than the good looks, I don't think I would have ever bought the V6 Camaro based on driving feel compared to other cars on the market.

The differences between the SS and RS are big. The brakes were very mushy compared to the brembo's but the steering/cornering was good. Power wise, I was very surprised how un-responsive the car felt off the line which I'm guessing is due to the way the engine technology is these days in order to get that kind of peak HP out of a 3.6L engine. I have a 300HP Grand Prix GXP which is a V8 and it will rip the tires loose way harder and pull stronger than the V6 Camaro off the line (both automatics). It seems as though they can't get the low end torque out of that engine and I could barely chip the tires with no weight in back. Once the car got moving, then I could feel the power come on and she moved pretty good but it felt like the engine wanted to explode and the sound was horrible coming from it. The exhaust is of course terrible stock.

So in short, the only message I want to convey is that if anyone is considering the V6 v.s. V8 versions of car, and cost is not a factor, I think you should definitely try both before making a decision because for me, the difference was huge.

More disclaimer: I am not intending any disrespect to those who have bought the V6. My brother is very happy with his car since he mostly cares about the look more than anything and it has sufficient power for a bit of fun. Maybe a tune could wake up the V6? There's something in both versions of the car for everyone which is why it's such a great seller and helps those who dont' want to take the fuel hit or cost get into a nice looking car. My brother's is a bare bones base model so maybe there's other flavors with upgraded brakes etc.

Let the flaming begin as I don my flame retardant suit.....

J
Please tell me the difference from the RS package on an SS and one on a V6? Actually there is NO difference at all.

Man I hate when people say RS for a V6. If you're going to start a useless rant at least get it right!!

RS is NOT a model, it's a damn appearance option.

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-23-2015 at 01:49 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
low end tourque that the v8 makes is unbeatable...
hp isnt everything
It's all relative man.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #9
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I know what you mean, I miss the torque of the V8 also..

Still have plenty of fun in my V6 Camaro tho, I got it mainly for looks(which i get alot) and the all black leather interior.

I forgot how the Stock V6 felt but I really do like my 6 with the few mods I've done(alrdy beating some V8 cars out there)

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
I agree with the brake issue, they are sloppy, especially after some miles put on the car. Powerwise, I am ok with not burning the tires if I punch it from a start.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Your opinion is valid. There are several engineering reasons why the SS costs $8k more for virtually the same luxury equipment.

That is not to say a V6 is a bad investment. Compared to a similarly equipped vehicle with 300-ish horsepower, the V6 is an excellent product. Compared to a vehicle that costs $35k or more, the V6 is a terrible competitor. Likewise, the Camaro SS is a terrible competitor for a car priced in the $80k range, albeit for reasons other than performance.
probably dont cost much more to produce..
it costs more because it's way more desirable to own and they know that
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
In every day driving, the biggest difference that you will notice right away is the brakes. The Brembos on the SS are great.

I hear that they will be an option on the Gen 6 V6. A V6 with a "track pack" should be a very nice driver.

Yes to race miatas maybe but not serious competition
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
What a dumb ass thread.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
Quote: