Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Inferno719

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6
Second thoughts on cam swap

Getting ready to do my cam swap, but after reading about all these guys that are having problems after the swap I'm getting a little worried about it. Am I just over thinking this or are problems after a cam normal?
Inferno719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
No prob with mine post cam 40k miles
Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Take your time, take pictures as you go (before uninstall too so you know where everything goes back). RobertWay's guide is the one to read -- even has video to help. If you pay attention, you'll be fine -- don't skimp -- if you're replacing the cam and have not done the oil pump, you'll want to do that also -- along with a chain -- this would be a great time for a 3 bolt cam (since you're an LS3). You may also want to consider upgrading your tensioner too (dog bone LS2/LS7 if you're going full 3 bolt upgrade). I'm assuming you're also replacing your springs -- RobertWays' guide shows that too...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Are you talking about problems with the install or problems down the road after the install?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #5
Inferno719

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6
Problems down the road. I've read some posts about some guys even having problems on first start up.
Inferno719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

I was looking at getting a nice mild cam. But then I started hearing about how you have to get Trunions and this and that...and it turned a $400 cam into a $1700 ordeal. On top of that I read that some people who bought cams initially had failures because they were 1-bolt cams. So then I guess 3-bolt cams became available. But then some people had problems because they didn't upgrade the oil pump...and then some people had problems because it was a high volume pump instead of a high pressure pump or vice-versa. And then some people over-revved their engines and it was fine at first but then down the line the engine was trashed. And then others had problems with the self-install...one guy a few threads down trashed his engine. All in all it turned me off. For what you'll pay for everything these companies recommend for a cam install, plus the dyno tune you'll need, plus if you can't do it yourself you'll have to have it in the shop, that all will come out to around $4K. And for what? Even if you got 50 hp that isn't worth it. If anything, I'd rather save the money and go with forced induction.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #7
Josh C

Drives: 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I was looking at getting a nice mild cam. But then I started hearing about how you have to get Trunions and this and that...and it turned a $400 cam into a $1700 ordeal. On top of that I read that some people who bought cams initially had failures because they were 1-bolt cams. So then I guess 3-bolt cams became available. But then some people had problems because they didn't upgrade the oil pump...and then some people had problems because it was a high volume pump instead of a high pressure pump or vice-versa. And then some people over-revved their engines and it was fine at first but then down the line the engine was trashed. And then others had problems with the self-install...one guy a few threads down trashed his engine. All in all it turned me off. For what you'll pay for everything these companies recommend for a cam install, plus the dyno tune you'll need, plus if you can't do it yourself you'll have to have it in the shop, that all will come out to around $4K. And for what? Even if you got 50 hp that isn't worth it. If anything, I'd rather save the money and go with forced induction.
Cam swap shouldn't cost you $4K but even if it did, 4K for 80+ rwhp is CHEAP. Don't overthink it. If you want more power you have to pay. If you're worried about reliability and your warranty, stick with stock and enjoy it.
Josh C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
At first I was skeptical of a cam swap as well, but honestly I'll be in the hole thing for roughly $2500 with dyno tune by doing the work myself and shopping around.

The key is to take the necessary upgrades as gold, and replace the moving parts affected by the swap. The more I read about guys binning the motors the more I realized it was a lot of people cutting corners and cheaping out.

Do it right, do it once.
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Stop reading about things that can go wrong! Focus on what your doing and what is required to do the job, everything will turn out fine! My car has been cammed for 20k miles, single bolt, stock oil pump, stock timing chain!
I plan on going larger cam this year and still using a single bolt, still stock oil pump, and stock chain. Not problem with these parts when the install is correct
Old 01-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh C View Post
Cam swap shouldn't cost you $4K but even if it did, 4K for 80+ rwhp is CHEAP. Don't overthink it. If you want more power you have to pay. If you're worried about reliability and your warranty, stick with stock and enjoy it.
I said $4K if you have to pay for the install, all the parts, tuner, and the dyno tuning.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
It boils down to what you want to achieve and what you're prepared for if something does fail. Just know that there is tons of info and experience here, should you run into any problems. Just know that if something catastrophic does happen, all you'll get is condolences as well.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Josh @ Spartan LSX

Drives: A wrench
If good quality products are used, all the parts are installed correctly, a professional tune is performed and the proper lubricants are used you will have absolutely no issues installing a cam. We put camshafts in cars 10 years ago that are now pushing 100K miles with no issues. Same cam, same lifters. Only changed the valve springs.

However, skimping out on any part of that list I just typed can cause an issue.
Josh @ Spartan LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #13
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Do it right and you shouldn't have problems... Simple as that.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #14
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
3 years and no issues
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote