Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #43
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
if your mechanic does his job right...the AAM's should be whisper quiet....make sure he knows they are 2 cut vs 5 cut....

if he has any q's...point him to this web site...http://www.demandaam.com/technical-s...ng-pinion-sets

this is what I used and after a shit load of street/hwy miles and several trips to the 1/4....don't even know I have a rear diff...shhhhhhhh

good luck man!

peace

Thanks. The guy who is doing the installation was a head mechanic at a GM dealership for 25 years before opening his own shop.

I wish I would have known about him before I took it to the other person.

He has done hundreds of GM rear ends, so it's in good hands.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #44
Joe M 2012 2SS

The mechanic who is putting my new 3.91 gear in finally got started on it today. He checked the backlash, pinion depth, and wear pattern on the Motive 3.91, and surprisingly said they were all within tolerance. The guy who installed it also claimed the gear was defective.

He had to get some different shims for the AAM 3.91, so I'm supposed to get the car back later this week hopefully.

I guess I can take pictures of the wear pattern, and send them to Motive, proving the gear is defective (improperly machined), and hopefully can get reimbursed for the cost of the gear.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #45
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The mechanic who is putting my new 3.91 gear in finally got started on it today. He checked the backlash, pinion depth, and wear pattern on the Motive 3.91, and surprisingly said they were all within tolerance. The guy who installed it also claimed the gear was defective.

He had to get some different shims for the AAM 3.91, so I'm supposed to get the car back later this week hopefully.

I guess I can take pictures of the wear pattern, and send them to Motive, proving the gear is defective (improperly machined), and hopefully can get reimbursed for the cost of the gear.
How'd you make out on this? AAM's nice and quiet?
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #46
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Hmmmmm...

I'm not exactly thrilled with the sound of my newly installed Motive Gears. I'm interested to see what ever happened to the OP and whether or not Motive warrantied the gear set. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to do something about mine, but unfortunately I didn't buy the gears from the shop that installed them so I can't expect to get support from their end. In other words, I'll be paying labor to have them replaced if I decide to go with another set of gears from a different manufacturer.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #47
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
How'd you make out on this? AAM's nice and quiet?
No, they developed a whine @ 35mph. Had no noise after installation. Did a 600 mile break in....whine occurred about 400 miles and 10 passes later.

I also broke a stock axle just before drag racing closed for the winter here. Replaced with DSS 1000 hp axles......car picked up a tenth and a half in the 1/8th mile...….cuts 1.4X 60' now, and 7.2X ET.....have a set of front skinnies I haven't used yet....possibly now able to run 7.1X in good DA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Hmmmmm...

I'm not exactly thrilled with the sound of my newly installed Motive Gears. I'm interested to see what ever happened to the OP and whether or not Motive warrantied the gear set. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to do something about mine, but unfortunately I didn't buy the gears from the shop that installed them so I can't expect to get support from their end. In other words, I'll be paying labor to have them replaced if I decide to go with another set of gears from a different manufacturer.
I sent the gear set back to Dynosteve @ RDP whom I purchased them from, and as expected, he took care of it for me.....the AAM's unfortunately developed a gear whine as well......I can't send them back now, as the warranty has ran out on them.

I'm inclined to believe after two sets of gears now..... that getting a set of 3.91 gears that are as quiet as the factory 3.27 isn't possible with my setup.

The first set (Motive) was installed by someone who is NAPA certified with 40yrs experience.....the second set (AAM) was installed by someone who was a head mechanic at a GM dealership and opened his own shop....and has done hundreds of gear swaps in GM vehicles.

If you decide to put a different set in, and the shop that does your work will guarantee them against gear whine if you buy the gears from them, I would go that route.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-16-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #48
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
No, they developed a whine @ 35mph. Had no noise after installation. Did a 600 mile break in....whine occurred about 400 miles and 10 passes later.

I also broke a stock axle just before drag racing closed for the winter here. Replaced with DSS 1000 hp axles......car picked up a tenth and a half in the 1/8th mile...….cuts 1.4X 60' now, and 7.2X ET.....have a set of front skinnies I haven't used yet....possibly now able to run 7.1X in good DA.

I sent the gear set back to Dynosteve @ RDP whom I purchased them from, and as expected, he took care of it for me.....the AAM's unfortunately developed a gear whine as well......I can't send them back now, as the warranty has ran out on them.

I'm inclined to believe after two sets of gears now..... that getting a set of 3.91 gears that are as quiet as the factory 3.27 isn't possible with my setup.

The first set (Motive) was installed by someone who is NAPA certified with 40yrs experience.....the second set (AAM) was installed by someone who was a head mechanic at a GM dealership and opened his own shop....and has done hundreds of gear swaps in GM vehicles.

If you decide to put a different set in, and the shop that does your work will guarantee them against gear whine if you buy the gears from them, I would go that route.
Thanks for letting us know your experiences. I have a real noisy set right now that I'm going to replace in the spring. I do have the trifecta of noise transfer with an LPW cover, aluminum cradle inserts, and BMR pro poly diff bushings, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to be silent. My particular set right now is super loud, but they were certainly run with a bad setup for a while when the crush collar failed and I drove it 200+miles home without much pinion preload - so I can't blame it all on Motive, but they were getting a little whiny even before that point.

For me - I am likely to go the route of buying from the shop directly simply so that I can have some sort of warranty. I'm also doing a little comparison between Yukon and Motive to see if one is really better than the other. At this point I've heard Motive is noisy a few times, but I've NEVER heard of one breaking. I can't find much information at all about anybody running a Yukon gear, so I'm hesitant to just gamble on them. Same with US Gear - JRE recommended those when they spec'd me a very expensive diff build, and I do know they offer a pretty fantastic warranty on them, but again, very little information out there.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #49
IASS

Drives: 2014 ss
Quote:
Thanks for letting us know your experiences. I have a real noisy set right now that I'm going to replace in the spring. I do have the trifecta of noise transfer with an LPW cover, aluminum cradle inserts, and BMR pro poly diff bushings, so I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to be silent. My particular set right now is super loud, but they were certainly run with a bad setup for a while when the crush collar failed and I drove it 200+miles home without much pinion preload - so I can't blame it all on Motive, but they were getting a little whiny even before that point.

For me - I am likely to go the route of buying from the shop directly simply so that I can have some sort of warranty. I'm also doing a little comparison between Yukon and Motive to see if one is really better than the other. At this point I've heard Motive is noisy a few times, but I've NEVER heard of one breaking. I can't find much information at all about anybody running a Yukon gear, so I'm hesitant to just gamble on them. Same with US Gear - JRE recommended those when they spec'd me a very expensive diff build, and I do know they offer a pretty fantastic warranty on them, but again, very little information out there.
I run US Gear got them in 3.73s also run the lpw cover and delrin bushings and they are loud but only between like 25 and 35ish mph so im prone to think that's more the harmonics transfer. I raced on them all last season without a single hiccup and I still get solid 2 wheel burns with them and no mods to the clutches. I however do change my fluids a lot on this car as I have always been one to put a vehicle through its paces.
IASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #50
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASS View Post
I run US Gear got them in 3.73s also run the lpw cover and delrin bushings and they are loud but only between like 25 and 35ish mph so im prone to think that's more the harmonics transfer. I raced on them all last season without a single hiccup and I still get solid 2 wheel burns with them and no mods to the clutches. I however do change my fluids a lot on this car as I have always been one to put a vehicle through its paces.

Mine are loudest at 35 mph as well, no issues other than the noise, since 90% of my driving is in the city @35mph, I get to hear it all the time.

The issue is the machining of the gears that causes gear whine.
Mine were very quiet after installation, but developed the gear whine after about 1000 miles on them.

Clutch packs will wear out eventually. When they do you can go with the beefed up clutch pack kit, or a True-trac. The TT has no clutches to wear out, as it is a helical design.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #51
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Clutch packs will wear out eventually. When they do you can go with the beefed up clutch pack kit, or a True-trac. The TT has no clutches to wear out, as it is a helical design.
That's what's going in mine this year, a TruTrac, along with a new ring and pinion, probably another Motive 4.10. I kind of want to try a different manufacturer and hopefully have something quiet, but Motive has a good reputation for not failing, and that's ultimately more important to me.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #52
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
That's what's going in mine this year, a TruTrac, along with a new ring and pinion, probably another Motive 4.10. I kind of want to try a different manufacturer and hopefully have something quiet, but Motive has a good reputation for not failing, and that's ultimately more important to me.
Yes it seems that they all develop some gear whine after time, at least that has been my experience so far.

The True-trac has been great, the car launches dead straight with it every time. If I would have known at the time I did the True-trac, I would have put the DSS axles in too.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #53
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I get a little noise here and there, not bad, within the range of acceptable to me. I have factory GM gears.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote