Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Question Factory tach lazy?

Anyine else notice the factory tach not bring able to keep up with engine speed?
I normally do test hits on gate pressure but now I have a tire that works I've been trying test hits on high boost.

My issue is that the RPM gauge will read 5500-5800rpm but I'm actually hitting my redline at 7k.
At first I thought I was having some serious issue with the car not being able to climb past 6k but according to my HP tuners I'm hitting the box every time.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
I have noticed a few hundred RPM difference between the HUD and gauge but not that much. But i am sure you are spooling up faster than I am.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
The tach and speedometer aren't fast enough to keep up with a stock SS in 1st but do okay in the rest of the gears.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Suggest a speedhut obd2 shift light may make staring at your rpms a thing of the past it will show true time rpms on the side of it and leaves no doubt when to shift being programable. No problems with my tach having delay here on either SS I have owned.

A aftermarket tach connected to the OBD2 ports you would think have like zero delay if FI makes it slow ….so you could go off of that like I said with a shift light or aftermarket tach; Anyway if its just like Fred said a fact …..?

Frankly I am usually busy just driving back to work or the store.....LOL And usually hitting gears long before my shift light ever goes off....unless I am being a bit spirited..... stock electronics may not be sensitive enough for a more responsive engine speed change to keep up? but not a common complaint heard here. Just some thoughts... Good Luck
Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Seems like the HUD does a reasonable job. What say y’all that uses it? Gotta admit, unless I just let the A6 do the shifting I wuss out with the paddles at about 5K. Read about too many busted valve springs here!