Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Tom

Drives: 2010 SS Red Jewel 6 spd manual
Chevy Missed A Great Opportunity

Tonight at Daytona International Speedway the car manufacturers get to 'debut' their new bodies that will be used next year & the race itself tonight in the Nationwide Series.
Ford has changed to the Mustang, Dodge has changed to the Challenger, and Chevy has......wait...the Impala. Yes the same old Impala body that they've been using.
What a golden opportunity this would have been to showcase the Camaro against the Mustang & Challenger almost every week in front of thousands of people plus the many thousands in the TV audience.
That does not make any sense at all.

GM is way behind in their marketing ideas!
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Because GM didn't want a Camaro COT that looks as awful as the Mustang COT.

If you want to run a Camaro or Mustang in motorsports, then run a Camaro or Mustang.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
The camaro has been outselling both those cars for a year now, they are doing something right, nascar ratings are going down the toilet anyway, does anyone watch that anymore. I used to but with all the changes it's boring as hell.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Don't be offended by my bluntness, but let's be real. Those cars could not be much uglier. They look nothing like the original cars they are supposed to represent. The Impala is the most genuine of the 3, and it doesn't even look right. The Challenger and Mustang look like sell-outs for even being in the races when the superior competitor isn't even on the track.

There should be a racing series where the tracks have turns that aren't only to the left and the cars are a little more real. I would happily support Camaros in that race, but not on NASCAR oval tracks.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
GM is way behind in their marketing ideas!
It has absolutely nothing to do with outdated marketing ideas. A while back there was a post around here that talked about this very topic. If I remember correctly GM consciously chose not to use the Camaro in NASCAR because it wouldn't be the Camaro. In order to get the the car to fit the proper specs it would have had to be chopped all to hell and remodeled/uglified (new word, use it as you wish). Just take a look at the NASCAR versions of the Mustang and Challenger. Those things are horrendous. Instead of subjecting the beautiful Camaro to such abuse GM wisely chose to use another car which already more or less fits the appearance of NASCAR vehicles.

I am not at all a NASCAR fan and I have never watched a race in my life, but I can sleep easier knowing that some abomination isn't rolling around pointlessly in an oval with the name Camaro on it (except for the badass Camaro pace car). This decision is a win for Chevy, huge loss for Dodge and Ford IMO.
Produced - 2/24/10
In the driveway - 3/4/10
Total time order to delivery - 47 days
binlow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by binlow84 View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with outdated marketing ideas. A while back there was a post around here that talked about this very topic. If I remember correctly GM consciously chose not to use the Camaro in NASCAR because it wouldn't be the Camaro. In order to get the the car to fit the proper specs it would have had to be chopped all to hell and remodeled/uglified (new word, use it as you wish). Just take a look at the NASCAR versions of the Mustang and Challenger. Those things are horrendous. Instead of subjecting the beautiful Camaro to such abuse GM wisely chose to use another car which already more or less fits the appearance of NASCAR vehicles.

I am not at all a NASCAR fan and I have never watched a race in my life, but I can sleep easier knowing that some abomination isn't rolling around pointlessly in an oval with the name Camaro on it (except for the badass Camaro pace car). This decision is a win for Chevy, huge loss for Dodge and Ford IMO.
I like the use of the word "uglified."
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
BilJ

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
The Fords, Chevies, Toytos and Dodges of NASCAR do not remotely resemble the actual street versions. I, for one, would not like to see the Camaro butchered and hacked to the extent it would take in order to meet the current NASCAR specs. I enjoy seeing the Camaro as is, rather than as a NASCAR clone.
Good for you GM!
BilJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ View Post
The Fords, Chevies, Toytos and Dodges of NASCAR do not remotely resemble the actual street versions. I, for one, would not like to see the Camaro butchered and hacked to the extent it would take in order to meet the current NASCAR specs. I enjoy seeing the Camaro as is, rather than as a NASCAR clone.
Good for you GM!
Thanks for sparing the Camaro GM. The other pony cars are UGLY with an UGLY spoiler with square cut outs to boot.
http://nationwide.nascar.com/nationw...r.nascar.roots
No wonder NASCAR is going down.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
InvaderMoose

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The Challenger and Mustang look like sell-outs for even being in the races when the superior competitor isn't even on the track.
THE CHALLENGER!? UGLY!? I actually really like it, but I guess it's my opinion.

I suppose it makes sense what GM did, Camaros have been selling like crazy, and who knows how many Impalas they've sold. It's better for them to put up a car that isn't selling as much, rather than one that is(camaro), just to look cool with the Mustang and the Challenger. It's all marketing.

Engine/Appearance: 530 RWHP
Whipple supercharger, Full JBA Exhaust, Ported TB, Cold Air Inductions & ADM Scoop /Complete new paint, 20" Forgestar F14s, Sinister hood, SLP Spoiler, AAC Halos, P13W Fogs
InvaderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilJ View Post
Good for you GM!
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Chevy announced a couple weeks ago, that they are kicking around the idea of the Camaro for the 2011 season. It all depends if Chevy and NASCAR can come to an agreement as to how much of the "Canvas" they are allowed to use in order to keep the look of the Camaro ... So basically never say never !!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
avt12882

Drives: 2010 camaro ss1 inferno orange
I used to be a big nascar fan but I went to the grand am race this year in Homestead and that's all I watch now because of more turns ,better racing and I love watching the 2 camaros on the track.
avt12882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
Amazed this hasn't been said yet but
Johnnyma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
SSinatra Andretti
2$$

Drives: 94 ss, 2008 gxp, soon to be2011 2ss
pics????