Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Had same issue. Clock Spring needed replacement
Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #16
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Had this happen a week and half ago. Service Power steering drive with care, ABS, Stabilitrak, etc.. Drove straight to the dealer. Left it for 2 days. They never found the issue. They checked the battery, connections, etc., new BCM software load. Reset it and gave it back to me. They said they could not find the issue. No charge even though I'm past the warranty by 3-4 thousand miles. Gotta be something they aren't telling us. Lots of similar posts on this forum. My car is a dead stock SS.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #17
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Ok....changed out my steering wheel to a Zl1. In doing so I pulled the original wheel too hard and messed up the clock spring. All the coiling came out. Tried to put back together. In doing so the power steering light and stable track light and airbag light. Attempted several things. Even a new clock spring. That's when I learned how to adjust the spring. It is in the adjustment that works everything including the back up camera. With the steering wheel off and the car on in reverse I actually turned the clock spring until the back up camera guidance lines were straight. I put the wheel back on temporarily. Shut down. Restart. And all messages went away. If the clockspring is slightly out of adjustment you'll get several codes and messages including airbag, power steering, and stable track. Saved myself a few hundred at dealer. Oh. Just as a side note. I broke the new clockspring by turning my wheel to far. Lesson learned. I put old clock spring in after putting coil back in and did the adjustment as described above and everything worked.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
DonnieDarko94

Drives: 2014 Z28
Help! Getting the "Service Power Steering Drive with Care"

I have a 2014 Z/28 Camaro, im getting the service power steering drive with care message almost every other time I drive the car. My power steering does short out but the responsiveness in the steering is gone? The BRAKE light comes on, ABS light comes on. Stability control light alos comes on. I cant take the car out of TOUR mode. I turn the car off wait five minutes turn it back on and the message goes away. Whats going on? Do I have a range device?
DonnieDarko94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
Madhatter555

Drives: 2013 camaro ss
Did you try to pull the codes? That would be a good place to start. Then post them here
Madhatter555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
This happened to me yesterday after donating blood , on the 35 min drive home, at the last 10 min loss of power steering limp mode in wheel , not full loss, beeping in car, ABS, Stabilitrak, powersteering all the bells and whistles lit up on dash and stayed on... Drove car to local camaro shop here in Richmond,TX, can anyone tell me if anyone found the issue i would like it be something cheaper than a possible steering rack replacement or something. What is causing this malfunction, but at half way to the shop all the codes went off dash and regained the control of wheel to normal... so like wtf is the issue?

Help needed ASAP please.
20k miles on car. 2013

Old 01-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #21
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
This happened to me yesterday after donating blood , on the 35 min drive home, at the last 10 min loss of power steering limp mode in wheel , not full loss, beeping in car, ABS, Stabilitrak, powersteering all the bells and whistles lit up on dash and stayed on... Drove car to local camaro shop here in Richmond,TX, can anyone tell me if anyone found the issue i would like it be something cheaper than a possible steering rack replacement or something. What is causing this malfunction, but at half way to the shop all the codes went off dash and regained the control of wheel to normal... so like wtf is the issue?

Help needed ASAP please.
20k miles on car. 2013
Your Camaro was reading your condition of low blood pressure and determined the best course of action to raise it. Apparently, it succeeded.

Seriously though, have your battery load tested.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
BangemSlim

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
My 14 SS just did this on Friday going to work. Pulled over sat 5 mins started up was normal. Sat in car on lunch with it running, no problems. On way home service power steering. Been off n on since. Taking to dealer Monday.
BangemSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Your Camaro was reading your condition of low blood pressure and determined the best course of action to raise it. Apparently, it succeeded.

Seriously though, have your battery load tested.

K that does not help...

Any helpful comments appreciated on the issue, anyone who has dealt with this please respond.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #24
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
K that does not help...

Any helpful comments appreciated on the issue, anyone who has dealt with this please respond.
His comment on testing your battery was spot on. Seems that with all the electronics on our cars, our batteries are know to fade/die in just 3-4 years, and when the battery voltage dips low, it causes all sorts of very strange issues.

It's possible that when a battery voltage dips a bit, various faults occur but once the car has been running for a bit, it charges the battery just enough to clear those faults, but that doesn't mean the battery is still strong enough to hold that charge.

I to would advice that you get your battery load tested, just to be safe.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #25
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
His comment on testing your battery was spot on. Seems that with all the electronics on our cars, our batteries are know to fade/die in just 3-4 years, and when the battery voltage dips low, it causes all sorts of very strange issues.

It's possible that when a battery voltage dips a bit, various faults occur but once the car has been running for a bit, it charges the battery just enough to clear those faults, but that doesn't mean the battery is still strong enough to hold that charge.

My battery is at a constant 15 - 16 volts always, never dipped below 14. Never had issues with it, and had it recharged in 2015.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #26
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

On top of this, i was driving when this has happened, so alternator was charging the battery and i as i listed below, it has been constant 15 - 16 volts.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #27
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
K that does not help...

Well, you mentioned the blood donation, so I was just making a joke.

Quote:
On top of this, i was driving when this has happened, so alternator was charging the battery and i as i listed below, it has been constant 15 - 16 volts.
The voltage you read when the car is running is the system voltage, not the battery voltage. I have never seen mine above 15.6V, so that may indicate an issue.

When you turn on the key, before you start the car, what is the voltage? You can find it on the DIC, which is more accurate than a gauge, down to the xx.x volts.
Or, since you were driving at the time perhaps there is a loose wire and hitting a bump affects things.
If you have the OEM battery it is now 5 years old and if it has been run-down that takes the bottom end out of it.
You said you had the battery recharged once. That is not a good sign.
If mileage means anything to a battery it is likely that a higher mileage car will have a battery that is stronger than a low mileage car because it will almost always recharge fully when driven. Short trips and long waits between trips eat away at the cells.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #28
Hellfighter

I mean this happened on a normal straight road no bumps atleast to my feel, do I don't think anything would hit, but I could take it to auto one and get it checked, what are major signed of battery going out, as I said car starts first turn key every time before I went. And I see the stabilitrak service light recently pop up couple times on dash but it went away once car starts. It just like cycled and popped up real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Well, you mentioned the blood donation, so I was just making a joke.

The voltage you read when the car is running is the system voltage, not the battery voltage. I have never seen mine above 15.6V, so that may indicate an issue.

When you turn on the key, before you start the car, what is the voltage? You can find it on the DIC, which is more accurate than a gauge, down to the xx.x volts.
Or, since you were driving at the time perhaps there is a loose wire and hitting a bump affects things.
If you have the OEM battery it is now 5 years old and if it has been run-down that takes the bottom end out of it.
You said you had the battery recharged once. That is not a good sign.
If mileage means anything to a battery it is likely that a higher mileage car will have a battery that is stronger than a low mileage car because it will almost always recharge fully when driven. Short trips and long waits between trips eat away at the cells.