Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Unbelieveable dealer experience

Many here have lamented on how many bad experience's they have had with dealerships. Whether it was for a problem with their car or to have service done. Well I am about to tell you about my experience with a dealer that is almost too hard to believe.

I needed to change the oil in my Z/28 and because I had recently moved I really did not have my garage set up to do it. So I made the dreaded decision to go to a dealer to have it done. I decided on a Chevy dealership located close to me. Wanting to purchase my own oil/ filter, I did so by getting my filter at Napa, a Wix filter. To my surprise it only cost me $7.66 because they gave me a AAA discount. On to Wally world for some oil and I bought 10 Qts of Mobil SYN 5w30 for $51.

Headed to the local dealer with no appointment, due to "first come first serve" service. Drove right in to service and immediately drew a crowd when they heard my cammed Z/28. Mechanics and service writers were all over my car, with the car Valets drooling at the mouth with anticipation of driving my car. After hearing all the comments like, "never seen a Z/28", "never heard a cam like that" and numerous others, the mgr stepped in. Well, the mgr would not have any of that and personally drove my car to the bay for service.

After the service I was called in to pay my bill. Imagine my surprise when they told me my bill came to $9.22. That's right $9.22! Almost fell on the floor and then they gave me a bag of cookies on top of it. So, for a total of $67.88, I serviced my car and went home and cracked a cold one to celebrate my good fortune. Needless to say I have never ever been treated like this anywhere and will be back next time.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
13coupe

Drives: Crystal Red 1SS Coupe 6spd manual
Thanks for posting about a good experience with your dealer. I know there are some that aren't and we tend to only hear about those. Cheers!
13coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Wish more dealerships were like that!!!!
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
J Rod

Drives: '14 BRM 1LE 2SS/RS
Actual picture of the service techs...

LSA Blower w/ 2.45 Griptec, Reinforced Brick, FIC 1000 injectors, JRE FPCM, LFP Dual Pass HX, ZL1 IC pump, RotoFab CAI, Bo White TB, Coated Stainless Power 1-7/8" LTs, NPP, NGK TR7IX, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, AEM X-Series WB, Aeroforce Interceptor, MGW Shifter, Z28 Grill, Gary's Custom ZL1 Rockers, Hero Tails, Tuned by IMC
J Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I’d like to see what would have happened if your wife took the car. The salesman at the local Chevy dealer was such a little bitch when he found out my wife knew more than he did. We went to the Honda dealer and he let her talk like an adult and was secure enough in his manhood to not feel threatened. The experience was top notch and we bought a 2018 CR-V, which is better looking and a far better vehicle than the Equinox anyway. No regrets.

I’m glad you found a good one. I could talk for hours about recent firsthand negative experiences at Chevy dealers.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Wow...a great stealership experience. That’s a rarity for sure.

I bought my car about a month ago. I changed my own oil. Very simple task, used a Harbor Freight aluminum “racing” floor jack and a jack stand.

I took advantage of a Mobil sale at Autozone. Paid $29.99 for 5 qts synthetic AND a Mobile 1 filter. Obviously I had to buy another 5 to total 8 qts and got the filter for my son’s GT.

Here’s the clincher...the promo included a voucher for a free NBA gym bag of your favorite team. Took me about half hour and a few beers to do the work.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I'm also fortunate enough to have a competent dealer I can trust who lets me provide my own oil and filter and will change it for about $20. I retired from changing my own oil on all my vehicles several years ago. No longer gives me the satisfaction to where I'll pull out a lawn chair afterwards and sit staring at the car admiring my work while suck down 5-6 cold ones.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
You should give them a 5 star yelp review.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I’d like to see what would have happened if your wife took the car. The salesman at the local Chevy dealer was such a little bitch when he found out my wife knew more than he did. We went to the Honda dealer and he let her talk like an adult and was secure enough in his manhood to not feel threatened. The experience was top notch and we bought a 2018 CR-V, which is better looking and a far better vehicle than the Equinox anyway. No regrets.

I’m glad you found a good one. I could talk for hours about recent firsthand negative experiences at Chevy dealers.
Did you drive it? I was all set to buy one and had a tentative deal over the phone then did the test drive.
In addition to '80s style engine vibration from a weak, rough 4yl;

I will paste a paragraph from motortrend review and they were being generous:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/equinox/2017/
In our review of the four-cylinder all-wheel-drive combo, we said the “Equinox felt adequate on congested Los Angeles streets, but it struggled a bit on onramps. It was able to get up to freeway speeds before merging. The 2.4-liter engine feels somewhat harsh especially toward the top of the rpm range. Despite its unpleasant exhaust tone, the engine provides linear power delivery.”
  • Vague electric power steering
  • Hyperactive active safety systems
Edit: The newest ones have other engine options which might make it a reasonable choice vs the competition if you got it cheap enough.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rod View Post
Actual picture of the service techs...

I only do that in my Camaro. Do you have any idea how boring most cars are when you drive a 442 HP Camaro to work? Right up until I moved to my current shop I didn't see or hear of any hotrodding in customers cars. If the complaint requires the car to be ragged on, I make the owner do it. I had the owner of a Z06 want it looked at because at the top of 3rd and wot it would pop when he shifted. No way was I going to drive his car that fast, so I made him do it. Yep, there are videos of morons doing this, but 11 years and 3 dealerships I haven't heard of a tech I worked with doing it. We really don't have time for joyrides, can't make money driving around. However I will stand around for a few minutes and drool, maybe talk to the customer about it.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
They should have paid you for allowing them to change your oil!
Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #12
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
those in central florida should try stingray chevy in plant city,they are also very good.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Did you drive it? I was all set to buy one and had a tentative deal over the phone then did the test drive.
In addition to '80s style engine vibration from a weak, rough 4yl;

I will paste a paragraph from motortrend review and they were being generous:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/equinox/2017/
In our review of the four-cylinder all-wheel-drive combo, we said the “Equinox felt adequate on congested Los Angeles streets, but it struggled a bit on onramps. It was able to get up to freeway speeds before merging. The 2.4-liter engine feels somewhat harsh especially toward the top of the rpm range. Despite its unpleasant exhaust tone, the engine provides linear power delivery.”
  • Vague electric power steering
  • Hyperactive active safety systems
Edit: The newest ones have other engine options which might make it a reasonable choice vs the competition if you got it cheap enough.
Yeah, we started with like 9 and got down to a final 3. The Equinox had the worst ride and cheapest looking interior of the 3. I thought for sure I’d pick the RAV4, but the CR-V blew me away. The 2017 is all new and it’s a great vehicle. Love my 18.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
That’s actually the closest Chevy dealer to my house. I have only been there once for the warranty replacement of my shifter; they kept my car for over a week but they gave me a free rental for the whole time so ok I guess.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote