Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Heh - apparently we're both only looking at part of the others posts.

The point I was trying to make is that no, a CAI would not replace intercooling in a typical forced induction setup (though with a low PSI setup it may bring you back down to norman IATs). However, that is not to say that it would produce NO benefit. And personally, I'd rather take an additional 7 horsepower if I could get it with something as simple as a CAI than leave it off just because it was "only 7 horsepower."
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #16
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Heh - apparently we're both only looking at part of the others posts.

The point I was trying to make is that no, a CAI would not replace intercooling in a typical forced induction setup (though with a low PSI setup it may bring you back down to norman IATs). However, that is not to say that it would produce NO benefit. And personally, I'd rather take an additional 7 horsepower if I could get it with something as simple as a CAI than leave it off just because it was "only 7 horsepower."
- X
Long day bud...long day

7hp extra would be fun -- but not at the added expense of using someone's "CAI" product (in most cases wouldn't be viable for a turbo/centrifugal SC setup since none of it would line up w/ stock locations). Well thought out placement is good, but spending much time beyond that isn't really worth it in the long run. In most cases, you'll never see the full "theoretical" number unless you get viable benchmarking post IC. IC efficiency > all
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
Long day bud...long day

7hp extra would be fun -- but not at the added expense of using someone's "CAI" product (in most cases wouldn't be viable for a turbo/centrifugal SC setup since none of it would line up w/ stock locations). Well thought out placement is good, but spending much time beyond that isn't really worth it in the long run. In most cases, you'll never see the full "theoretical" number unless you get viable benchmarking post IC. IC efficiency > all
Well, I'll agree that some kind of post charge cooling would be necessary. Depending on the setup, that could be from an intercooler, methanol, etc.
- X

Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #18
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
IC's are so damn cheap these days, unless someone is using a remote mount system, they need to have a small frontmount.

Meth is sooooo much fun (used it on some of my more recent cars). I used to run alky back in the day (ha!) on my GN when I was in highschool. Every time CVS had a sale on rubbing alcohol I was there with coupons in hand hehehe... they ended up knowing me by name. Good times, good times...

Last edited by MadMaxx; 07-08-2009 at 07:23 PM.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
IC's are so damn cheap these days, unless someone is using a remote mount system, they need to have a small frontmount.

Meth is sooooo much (used it on some of my more recent cars). I used to run alky back in the day (ha!) on my GN when I was in highschool. Every time CVS had a sale on rubbing alcohol I was there with coupons in hand hehehe...I like you - I used to do that stuff too ! Heck, I still do... they ended up knowing me by name. Good times, good times...
Agree - IC, Meth and Intake Air all help but in varying degrees and in different capacities. Just like you I have many personal real world examples - Turbos,Centrifugal, Roots and Turbines.

Nice to see good positive discussions on the site.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #20
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTron View Post
EDIT Thanks Mods for editing this thread...some people....

Jeeze....how the hell did a thread about a guy asking about aftermarket support for the V6 turn into slag fest...my god...who the hell cares if he has an Lancer....and a lancer is a nice car, dont knock it, and its not rice....now if he added a body kit and a fart can...rice...big time...

but i digress...how about some people here grow up and answer the mans question's, or at least tell him politely to search around as there are a bunch of threads about V6 performance

Here are a couple good threads about increasing the performance of the V6

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31182

http://www.camaro5.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16988&highlight=intake+exhaust+pl an+400

Also, here is a thread about a Turbo V6 work in progress
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29495

I would also like to add that using the search button is an easy way to find your answers and not be flamed by some members, so yea, in the future, but i gave you the above threads to start ya off

Enjoy your car!!! (i wish i had mine)
wow man thanks soo much..the first thread was just trash talking..sorry about agging it on. but every thread even threads about just tinting people are doing that whole rice thing..omg its soo annoying.and most dont even drive camaros..but about the thread thing..i was wanting just a thread for turbo supercharger or twin turbo info. the others i have seen are all performance parts. there are a bunch of us looking and cant find anything.so i wrote this one to get down to just these items..thank you soo much for looking out though..means alot.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #21
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Quote:
Cold air intake is an NA bit bud, if you're supercharing than ambient temps post compressor aren't going to be affected by the incoming charge temp (not in the context of what minor changes in ambient can do anyway...)
sorry for the very dumb question..what does NA mean..i havent been posting for long.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #22
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

glad i got this site up so you two super charger nerds could have a chess battle of temperature ratios. and i must say it was a wit battle of epic porportions..lol..glad that discussion got started for you guys..reminds me of movies where you see two old men in the park arguing rocket science..LOL..keep it up guys..very impressive ramblings you two got going..thanks for always answering questions i have..both of you are incredibly helpful..i try to help out as much as i can, but usually get no help in return. but you two always help when you can..very appreciated.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #23
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
sorry for the very dumb question..what does NA mean..i havent been posting for long.
na means naturally aspirated as in not using a method of "forced" induction
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #24
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
glad i got this site up so you two super charger nerds could have a chess battle of temperature ratios. and i must say it was a wit battle of epic porportions..lol..glad that discussion got started for you guys..reminds me of movies where you see two old men in the park arguing rocket science..LOL..keep it up guys..very impressive ramblings you two got going..thanks for always answering questions i have..both of you are incredibly helpful..i try to help out as much as i can, but usually get no help in return. but you two always help when you can..very appreciated.
No worries - Glad to be able to help! Thats 98% of what I'm here for until I get my car next year (going to wait for the 2011 model for various reasons); the other 2% being that this is a wonderful place to keep track of what various performance parts manufacturers are coming out with.
- X

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #25
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Great NEws

Some great news as of now, is that two people contacted me about a possible turbo system. One was a reply from STS. now ive heard alot of this and that about that kind of system but i seen some older comments from "X" and he seemed quite interested at the time about it, so i checked out the site for myself. I emailed them and the very next morning they contacted me back with a number , a "personal" number to talk personnally with a seller there to customize my turbos, that if i decide to go with them will be a twin turbo kit. But a fellow member of camaro5 contacted me and is wanting to talk with me about a turbo from their company, in which they are just finishing up an SS turbo, now need to six to work with..i will definately keep you guys up to date about whats going on..hopefully ill be putting a turbo on my ride sometime within a month.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #26
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
No worries - Glad to be able to help! Thats 98% of what I'm here for until I get my car next year (going to wait for the 2011 model for various reasons); the other 2% being that this is a wonderful place to keep track of what various performance parts manufacturers are coming out with.
- X
i just seen that exact car you have a pic of there just the other day setting in the lot of an area dealership..same exact color/ stripes etc..in a V6. funny stuff.