Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
StingrayblueSS
 
StingrayblueSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 640
169° thermostat issue

Saturday it was only in the low 50s. While driving I got a warning in the dic ac off due to high engine temperature.
I determined through Google search if the engine takes to long to warm up it can trigger this code. I have the Mitsubishi 169 thermostat is it possible its defective? During the summer temps ran around 170 to 180.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL


 
InFiD3ViL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3 Swapped A6
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 2,420
When did you install this stat? Only time I have gotten that message is after fooling around with the cooling system and not bleeding all the air out.
Even though I am in Florida, it does get cold here in the winter. I have had my 160* stat for 3 years now, with temps in the winter getting as low as freezing during cold snaps, and no issues.

Did you happen to check your coolant temp on the DIC when this happened?
__________________
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6 - Heads milled .015, Melling HV 10296 Pump, TSP Longtubes (Catless), X-Pipe, FM Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 Catch Can + GM 1LE Clean Side Separator, Hinson Wires/NGK TR6IX Plugs, 160* Stat, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Hawk HB453Z.585 Performance Ceramic Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel, ZL1 Add-Ons Wicker Bill Spoiler, SLP Front Splitter - Megan Racing Adjustable Coilovers, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
Batmanntexas

 
Batmanntexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,055
I had this issue numerous times after switching to a 160 myself. It drove me nuts, because when it would happen, the temp gauge would quit working (rally gauge pack), as well as the 'oil temp' gauge, and of course I'd also get a CEL. I wonder what idiot thought it would be a good idea to 'warn you of high temperatures' then disable the gauge that you use to monitor engine temp?

I ended up just turning that particular code off in the tune file. There is at least one other code that monitors ECT sensor performance and IIRC, it was P0116.

-Scott
__________________
745RWHP/634RWTQ on 93 @ 10psi
806/676 on E85 @ 10psi

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
Bo White


 
Bo White's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vance Alabama
Posts: 7,247
Mine runs 180 at its coolest with a 160*
During the summer it will run 200* and up. Both fans running full blast at all times and new water pump and radiator.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
StingrayblueSS
 
StingrayblueSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
When did you install this stat? Only time I have gotten that message is after fooling around with the cooling system and not bleeding all the air out.
Even though I am in Florida, it does get cold here in the winter. I have had my 160* stat for 3 years now, with temps in the winter getting as low as freezing during cold snaps, and no issues.

Did you happen to check your coolant temp on the DIC when this happened?
When I got the code the coolant temp gauge and dic stopped working. This happened in the spring once also so I immediately knew what the problem was. When I got home I disconnected the battery and it reset everything.
I wouldn't think there could still be air in the system after 6 months of driving.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
xc_SS/RS


 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 4,548
I've never had this issue and I've had a 160 tstat for 2-3 years now. I've driven in the snow and in teens/single digits temps with a vented hood. Did you fill from the top hose?
__________________
2010 2SS/RS
Z/28 intake, ported TB, rod-mod intake, speed engineering LT's w/ cats, 3" catback, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, 160* t-stat, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
Vegas Bound

 
Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Landed in Vegas
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Mine runs 180 at its coolest with a 160*
During the summer it will run 200* and up. Both fans running full blast at all times and new water pump and radiator.

I occasionally see 178 once at operating temp, rarely above 190 in summer unless stop and go traffic.
__________________
Lots of bolt on stuff
Bests in each category
1.36 - 60'
6.29 - 1/8 mile
10.18 - 1/4 mile
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
acammer
Back in the game
 
acammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Weedsport, NY
Posts: 2,055
So - you got an engine high temp warning and the conclusion is that it wasn't warm enough? I'm missing something here. I have a 169*F stat - it runs low 180*F range when ambient temps are under 50*F. I've never had any codes related to the car not reaching expected temperature. Even when I ran a 160*F stat and the car would barely be in the 170*F range I never had any codes reported about a failure to warm up.

Now, I know my buddy Zane had his 169*F T-stat stick and spike some pretty high temps. Are you sure it's not a too hot and not a too cold issue?
__________________
2011 2SS SGM - CAI, PTB, Rod-Mod and ported intake, GPI SS3 cam, AR LTs 1.875", X-pipe, high flow cats, cutouts behind the axle. 25% UPD, 169*F stat, EE catch can, Ideal Garage clutch master, seperate reservoir, Tick-Shift billet throwout support, Yukon 4.10 gears, TruTrac Differential, LPW Differential Cover, BMR Pro diff bushings, Pegasus Solid rear sub-frame bushings. 497rwhp. 11.67@119 2+ton raceweight.
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
StingrayblueSS
 
StingrayblueSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
So - you got an engine high temp warning and the conclusion is that it wasn't warm enough? I'm missing something here. I have a 169*F stat - it runs low 180*F range when ambient temps are under 50*F. I've never had any codes related to the car not reaching expected temperature. Even when I ran a 160*F stat and the car would barely be in the 170*F range I never had any codes reported about a failure to warm up.

Now, I know my buddy Zane had his 169*F T-stat stick and spike some pretty high temps. Are you sure it's not a too hot and not a too cold issue?
I installed in the spring of this year. Drove all summer 3 trips to the drag strip. No issues. I may take it out and test it If it happens again. Temps run around 169 to 175 under normal driving.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
StingrayblueSS
 
StingrayblueSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Indiana
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I had this issue numerous times after switching to a 160 myself. It drove me nuts, because when it would happen, the temp gauge would quit working (rally gauge pack), as well as the 'oil temp' gauge, and of course I'd also get a CEL. I wonder what idiot thought it would be a good idea to 'warn you of high temperatures' then disable the gauge that you use to monitor engine temp?

I ended up just turning that particular code off in the tune file. There is at least one other code that monitors ECT sensor performance and IIRC, it was P0116.

-Scott
It's odd that the gauge stops working when this happens I mean this is when you really need it to work.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #11
InFiD3ViL


 
InFiD3ViL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS LS3 Swapped A6
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 2,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
It's odd that the gauge stops working when this happens I mean this is when you really need it to work.
Yeah, they screwed that one up. I know it happens when you get the overheat warning along with reduced power, but I wasn't aware you would lose access with the AC Disabled warning too.

I am staying in the habit of carrying my SCT X4 in the glove box now so I can just pull temps off the device/OBD2 in an emergency.
__________________
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6 - Heads milled .015, Melling HV 10296 Pump, TSP Longtubes (Catless), X-Pipe, FM Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 Catch Can + GM 1LE Clean Side Separator, Hinson Wires/NGK TR6IX Plugs, 160* Stat, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Hawk HB453Z.585 Performance Ceramic Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel, ZL1 Add-Ons Wicker Bill Spoiler, SLP Front Splitter - Megan Racing Adjustable Coilovers, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #12
Vegas Bound

 
Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Landed in Vegas
Posts: 1,123
I overheated at the track once, went into limp mode. Both the DIC and 4 pack gauges still worked.
__________________
Lots of bolt on stuff
Bests in each category
1.36 - 60'
6.29 - 1/8 mile
10.18 - 1/4 mile
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #13
FasNuf
 
FasNuf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 132
I have the Mishimoto 169* thermostat as well and got this at first start up. I realized that I forgot to install the temp sensor harness, cycled the battery power. No problems since.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
Batmanntexas

 
Batmanntexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,055
@ Vegas - interesting. Do you remember any codes that popped when you overheated? I went back and looked at some stuff, and it was definitely code P0116 that kept popping on mine when I would get the "AC OFF..." message in the DIC, and both the engine temp gauge and oil temp gauge would go dead. The actual temp display in the DIC still worked, just the analog gauges didn't.

-Scott
__________________
745RWHP/634RWTQ on 93 @ 10psi
806/676 on E85 @ 10psi

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.