Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Rickc 1le

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
2014 1LE newish owner with performance question

Hello everyone, I have acquired a pretty nice car . Big upgrade from my old C4!!
So I have had time to drive it this summer and like the way it handles , pulls decent all the way up thru the gears. I have not done any track time with it or dyno except my butt dyno and a Ford Mustang fans butt dyno. ( He was impressed to say the least ) As far as I can tell the only mod to the car is a CAI cold air, Looks like a wedge near the throttle body and a canned SCT tune for 91 octane.
Thinking of a TSP stage two cam in the near future. My question would be is it worth it if I do not do long tubes with it? New York is starting to get a little "green" and I would not want to have to take everything off to meet emissions. I might be interested in shorty headers to help get around it but not sure.
Would I need a custom tune after install and if so who does the custom tunes for the SCT x4 handhelds?
Thanks
Rickc 1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Lt's are hands down the best model you can do to these cars. That canned tune is probably less than optimal.

Literally my only mods are an ADM cold air race intake (includes scoop) a Vmax ported TB, Pfadt (now AFe) Tri Y LTs and a Jeremy Formato tune. I put down 435/425 bone stock was basically 365/360 if I remember correctly. This has proven to be fast reliable and good enough that I mainly just think about doing heads and cam... lol

I'm going to do it soon but all of those are basically support mods for a cam swap.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Rickc 1le

I am looking at the long tubes w cats from Texas Speed but I have serious concerns about the emission tests here in New York. ( I failed for a bad gas cap ) .
I'm also thinking at what point do you stop? What amount of HP before it just becomes a pain in the behind to drive in traffic? 435 seems like a good number especially with the gearing in the 1 le cars. I have the NPP exhaust so that will probably stay for when the wife is with me its not obnoxiously loud in the car, plus I have two new neighbors that are police.
Decisions decisions...
Old 10-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickc 1le View Post
I am looking at the long tubes w cats from Texas Speed but I have serious concerns about the emission tests here in New York. ( I failed for a bad gas cap ) .
Your bad gas cap probably set off a CEL. Any CEL is going to fail you. As long as they aren't sniffing at the tailpipe, you just need to make sure you pass visual with cats (or gutted cats...) and have a good tune that won't allow CELs to trip.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
Firefighter

Quote:
I'm also thinking at what point do you stop? What amount of HP before it just becomes a pain in the behind to drive in traffic? 435 seems like a good number especially with the gearing in the 1 le cars. I have the NPP exhaust so that will probably stay for when the wife is with me its not obnoxiously loud in the car, plus I have two new neighbors that are police.
Decisions decisions...
I also have the NPP and I forgot to add that I had the H pipe cut out and put a resonated x (magnaflow) in it's place. It makes it reasonably loud but not obnoxious. Without it the car was too loud. The way I explain it is the 25 y/o me would've loved it without the resonator, the 45 y/o me... not so much.

The power I'm at leaves me with a fast but not scary car. It's 100% daily drivable. I'm looking to add about another 100HP to the wheels and I think it'll be a little scary for a week or two and then I'll be used to it again just like last time... lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Chevyjk33

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Decisions decisions...
I have the Z28 intake, Kooks 1 7/8 headers and a tune by Dynosteve. It puts about 420-425 to the rear wheels. Still totally driveable, but a nice kick. I agree with others that headers are a must on these cars. I even installed them in my garage with no lift and it wasn't bad at all. We do have e-check in Ohio and as long as there is no check engine light on, it passes. I do have the cats from Kooks on mine, but not the green ones.

I have the NPP on mine and pulled the fuse the second day I had it. Honestly, that exhaust sounds so good, I have no want to change it out. Its even better with the headers. I haven't done an X-pipe yet, but its loud (in a good way) without being obnoxious.
Chevyjk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Chevyjk33

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
We would love to help you with your build sir, please fell free to pm me with any question sir
Steve did my tune after my header install and is a great guy to work with! I was very happy with the tune. He's awesome helping with questions too.
Chevyjk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Rickc 1le

So I decided to go long tube after all. If anyone is looking for shorty headers let me know! The new valve springs are in as well as the Texas Speed stage one cam. Headers came today so hopefully this weekend I can get it finished, minus the tune it is going to need.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Firefighter

Sounds good man. Make sure to post dyno sheets and exhaust video.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
I did the header install myself. I will have to make an "emissions adjustment" every two years here in California. DynoSteve for the SCT and tune and it is well worth it. Love the sound and power in the 1LE after the mods. I mostly use the car for Autocross and occasional weekend cruising.
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Rickc 1le

First start up with the new cam and headers. Sorry it was a little louder than I thought and the phone could not handle it. Once I get it out of the garage I will try to take another video.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
Rickc 1le

Old 11-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Sounds great, that NPP is one of the best factory exhausts going IMO, mine are staying even if everything else goes