Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
96SS390

Drives: 2006 BOM GTO
Negotiating dealer pricing...anyone have any success.

I have been watching the Z28 market for well over a year bow maybe two to be honest. I see a lot of these cars sit at dealerships for quite sometime. The Z28 is my dream car but to be honest I have somewhat accepted that at this point in my life it may not be the most practical car.

I have been watching the mid to high $30s wondering if I could get one right at $35k as i think I can justify that over buying a moddified 1le in the $20ks. There have been a few examples but they sell pretty quick.

Now to the point of my post. There is quite a few listings in the low $40ks generally I wouldn't consider that as at the moment this is more than I am looking to spend on a stock Z28. I found the car in the ad below and I am absolutely obsessed as it is 100% exactly what I am looking for at a decent price in my opinion. The problem being though it is just a tar higher than I think I am willing to swing after taxes and everything. I was wondering if others feel that based on the market there may be any wiggle room or should I not even bother.

At the moment my other option is an 15 AGM 1LE with cam and bolt one for low 20ks.

Any advice is appreciated!

Jared
96SS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
96SS390

Drives: 2006 BOM GTO
https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...006761455.html
96SS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Honestly, no. The most I was able to get the priced dropped was $500 on my wife's Z. Mine wasn't going to budge. We got mine for 37k, and hers for 38k.

My advice is save for it. Don't settle. Get a decent down payment together and just go for it. You will not regret it. We daily drive ours AND track them.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Best way would be to secure a pre approved loan for a set amount from your personal bank. Dont let them handle the financing. Once you have that, you can take the loan approval to the dealer and start negotiating price.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
A dealer will take the car to auction at a loss well before they give you a deal that’s not in their margin.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #6
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
If it were me,before even considering negotiations i would find out who did the mods give them a call and get some background on it. It may be the previous owner did all the install and just paid for a tune . Either way its been modded so no sense in comparing it to other Zs out there that haven't. Meaning resale in the future if prices ever do go up for an original , if you care about that kinda stuff. It doesnt matter to some of us . Good luck though. 20k in mods and only 8k miles is really not bad. You wouldn't happen to know the hp would you?
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
Palutz

Drives: 14 Red Z/28 #432
Negotiating with the right dealership is possible but very rare in my experience. I bought my Z/28 from Andrews TX which is 45 min from where I live (Odessa). They worked with me on lowering the overall price once I offered to put down $5k as a down payment. I also had to play the “I’m getting up and leaving game” but in the end they came down quite a bit. The car was originally $50k when it showed up and after it sat on the lot for about a month I negotiated the price down to $42k. It only had 2086 miles on the clock.

A year before purchasing this red Z/28 I was eyeing one in San Antonio and it was also red with around 1500 miles Got talking to the salesman and offered to put down $10k for a down payment to get them to budge on the price. They wouldn’t go any lower than $48k so that was the end of that.

Save up some extra cash, go there with your own pre approved loan, and be ready to really get up and go. A lot of variables have to happen for a dealership to really negotiated with you. Funny story ... I took my Z/28 to the Odessa Chevy dealership for service and I actually had a salesman laugh in my face that he would have never sold me the car for what I got it for in Andrews when we got talking. Needless to say I’m not going to be taking my business there any time soon.

Be patient and don’t settle. Get your finances in order so this car can be a blessing and not a burden. One of the greatest cars I’ve ever driven on public roads. Good luck
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
lemontwist

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
i like the Z28 but i don't want to pay for replacing the brakes.
lemontwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #00048
If you've been watching the market, you've seen that some of these Z/28's are on lots for a good long time.

IMO and others will agree... the mods that particular car do not add value to the car over a similar condition/miles/optioned 100% stock one. If anything it decreases the value of the car. Too many variables with unknown assembly, parts, tune, etc. So does selling the car with snow tires included, lol. If that car was driven in the winter, I'd ask for pics of the under carriage, impact areas on the rear qtrs, and pics of the front bumper. The wear/tear has to be evident. Same with what those canards are doing to the front bumper, they rubbing the paint off?

Value is in the eyes of the behold though. The market is based on what people are willing to pay.

Seasonality comes into play too... you're in PA, the cars in CO. Talk to them... you're interested, logistics of travel/transport in general are tough, even more so with winter. Doubtful people are coming into the dealer, asking for snow those tires to be mounted and driving it out.

IMO, plenty of options out there. Especially if you're at the top of your budget. Should be without questionable mods or usage. These things all can be used as bargaining leverage too.
'15 Z/28 #00048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
'17 Ridgeline RTL-T | AWD | White | Ebony | 20" MDX Advance wheels
'16 CR-V EX-L Navi | AWD | White | Ebony

https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #10
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i like the Z28 but i don't want to pay for replacing the brakes.
Unless you track the car you will most likely not need to replace any brake parts, until I think they say 90,000 miles.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #11
HoodCheck

Drives: 2015 Z/28 (build #619; black)
They did all that work and stuck shorty headers on it lol
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #12
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
They did all that work and stuck shorty headers on it lol
Oh lord!!! Well, there's another bargaining chip right there.
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
HoodCheck

Drives: 2015 Z/28 (build #619; black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
Unless you track the car you will most likely not need to replace any brake parts, until I think they say 90,000 miles.
Pads aren't going to last that long. As a daily, the rotors might, but my pads were down to 80% (@6200 miles) on my Z/28 from the previous owner, who didn't track it or anything. You are supposed to swap them out @ 50%. But considering the pads aren't nearly as expensive as the rotors, at least its not quite as bad (~900 bucks for the pads for front and rear)
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SS390 View Post
I have been watching the Z28 market for well over a year bow maybe two to be honest. I see a lot of these cars sit at dealerships for quite sometime. The Z28 is my dream car but to be honest I have somewhat accepted that at this point in my life it may not be the most practical car.

I have been watching the mid to high $30s wondering if I could get one right at $35k as i think I can justify that over buying a moddified 1le in the $20ks. There have been a few examples but they sell pretty quick.

Now to the point of my post. There is quite a few listings in the low $40ks generally I wouldn't consider that as at the moment this is more than I am looking to spend on a stock Z28. I found the car in the ad below and I am absolutely obsessed as it is 100% exactly what I am looking for at a decent price in my opinion. The problem being though it is just a tar higher than I think I am willing to swing after taxes and everything. I was wondering if others feel that based on the market there may be any wiggle room or should I not even bother.

At the moment my other option is an 15 AGM 1LE with cam and bolt one for low 20ks.

Any advice is appreciated!

Jared
It seems as if you're stretching your finances on an unpractical vehicle that you plan on daily driving in Pennsylvania winters. Please, be smart about this. The Z/28 is not a winter friendly vehicle. Can you strap winter tires on it and make a go? Certainly. But why? That huge track-inspired splitter makes a better snowplow than anything. It will be torn off in now time. If you can't outright buy a $35-40k car AND have a designated winter DD, this isn't for you, IMHO. There are plenty of winter capable, cheaper choices out there. Good luck.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote