Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
You add to that, that the stability control was always fighting against you, even engaging (even while in the most loose setting) long before it needed to. With the system fully off, I could get an easy additional 10MPH on a on/off ramp with zero drama.
Don't suppose BMW knows they're selling quite a few cars to limited-talent wanna-be's now, do ya?

Norm
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #16
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
DSC Sport also has a ton of video tutorials on youtube to help. They really came in handy when I got mine used.
Nice. Sounds like something worth chasing down for the knowledge alone. Thanks.

Norm
Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #17
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Nice. Sounds like something worth chasing down for the knowledge alone. Thanks.

Norm
Anytime. Here's their Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/dscsport
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Bookmarked. Thanks again.

Norm
Old 07-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #19
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Don't suppose BMW knows they're selling quite a few cars to limited-talent wanna-be's now, do ya?

Norm
BMW has earned their reputation well, with a long history of very poorly tuned stability and traction control systems that are far below industry par. For a company that prides itself on technological implementation, they embarrass themselves in this facet.

<---multi-decade BMW enthusiast
Old 07-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #20
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
BMW has earned their reputation well, with a long history of very poorly tuned stability and traction control systems that are far below industry par. For a company that prides itself on technological implementation, they embarrass themselves in this facet.

<---multi-decade BMW enthusiast
What's more embarrassing is the price point of the M3 and what you get for it. Ultimate Driving Machine.... NOT!!!!!

I have to be honest, I ordered my M3 and it took 5 moths to get in. I had a short test drive in one before hand, but nothing substantial. I was expecting superior suspension and handling from their reputation, and after about 30 mins of driving it home (bought in Long Beach, driven home to the Bay Area) I was disappointed in the suspension.

It was a hard pill to swallow after just signing a 3 year lease on a $75K sports car. I bared it for about 6 months before I moved to the Ohlin coil-overs to fix what should not had needed to be fixed on a M car.

Ever since, I have been dealing with a pretty harsh full coilover system on a daily driver in order to get the stability and chassis composure.

I am more excited about picking up my $44K (after discounts) 2SS 1LE from the lot than I was about my ordered $75K M3.

I am going from over paying for sub-par performance to under paying for a far superior driver's car. AND one that looks the part.

The way the wheels fully fill out the fenders, to the wide and proper rated tires, to the lowered stance (compared to the M3).

SO EXCITED!!!!!!
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #21
TRZ06

I'll expand on this a little further because I want to rant just a little.

When I first ordered my M3, I had seen all the reviews out at that time on it and they all praised it for its chassis balance and power.

HOWEVER, what I learned is that chassis balance is totally different than chassis composure and stability.

When someone says a car handles good, that doesn't tell you anything. There are many parts of the handling equation. Chassis balance (understeer/Oversteer), damping (both compression and rebound), body roll, squat/dive, grip levels. They all play a part.

To me now, good handling means all of those characteristics need to be buttoned down and good.

Most reviews say nothing about how the chassis composure and damping is. They focus on the lateral G's and the balance side of the equation only.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #22
TRZ06

UPDATE: I got my car on Saturday and have driven it 500 miles so far (including the 300 miles home from So. Cal, and my concerns are gone COMPLETELY gone.

F*ck, this car is solid and has super high limits. I was seeing 1.2G's on a few on/off ramps.

Now, my only issue (and this may be due to the new tires) , but I can feel a little flex in the rear. Now, my M3's rear-end was bolted directly to the subframe, and since this car has rear bushing, I am not sure if that is what I am feeling.

The rear takes just a split sec. to set, and then it is solid. I am already thinking about the BMR rear cradle lockout kit as well as their upper and lower control arms. I want to see if it is coming from the new tires though first before I do anything.

Also, Dry mode is perfect for learning the car.

I do wish the throttle was more direct. It has good tip in, but then there is a dead spot in the middle and then when you get deeper into it, it comes alive again.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
Old 07-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #23
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Glad you like the car. The throttle will take some seat time to acclimate to, I agree it isn't perfect. Touring mode is my least favorite, and I think Sport mode throttle is my favorite. One of the nice things is you can set the throttle, steering, and exhaust individually through the infotainment. For example, I have my steering always on Touring no matter what.

I'm not sure the BMR rear cradle lockout will work, unless they've since-I've-checked made an SS 1LE & ZL1 version. The one in their catalog is meant for the FE3 rear cradle in the normal SS. The alternative is to drop the rear sub-frame and do full solid replacements, however the GMPP aluminum pucks are on infinite permanent backorder.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #24
TRZ06

Quote:
Glad you like the car. The throttle will take some seat time to acclimate to, I agree it isn't perfect. Touring mode is my least favorite, and I think Sport mode throttle is my favorite. One of the nice things is you can set the throttle, steering, and exhaust individually through the infotainment. For example, I have my steering always on Touring no matter what.

I'm not sure the BMR rear cradle lockout will work, unless they've since-I've-checked made an SS 1LE & ZL1 version. The one in their catalog is meant for the FE3 rear cradle in the normal SS. The alternative is to drop the rear sub-frame and do full solid replacements, however the GMPP aluminum pucks are on infinite permanent backorder.
I don't see a setting for the throttle in the infotainment settings. I see settings for steering, suspension, and exhaust note, but I do not see throttle.

I did not know that GMPP had aluminum pucks for the rear of this car. I do not see it in the catalog. I would totally go that route to stay with GM products though if it is avail. I don't mind waiting for it. I would love to have the solid link to the rear of this car just like the ZL1 1LE

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 07-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #25
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
What's more embarrassing is the price point of the M3 and what you get for it. Ultimate Driving Machine.... NOT!!!!!

I have to be honest, I ordered my M3 and it took 5 moths to get in. I had a short test drive in one before hand, but nothing substantial. I was expecting superior suspension and handling from their reputation, and after about 30 mins of driving it home (bought in Long Beach, driven home to the Bay Area) I was disappointed in the suspension.

It was a hard pill to swallow after just signing a 3 year lease on a $75K sports car. I bared it for about 6 months before I moved to the Ohlin coil-overs to fix what should not had needed to be fixed on a M car.

Ever since, I have been dealing with a pretty harsh full coilover system on a daily driver in order to get the stability and chassis composure

I am more excited about picking up my $44K (after discounts) 2SS 1LE from the lot than I was about my ordered $75K M3.

I am going from over paying for sub-par performance to under paying for a far superior driver's car. AND one that looks the part.

The way the wheels fully fill out the fenders, to the wide and proper rated tires, to the lowered stance (compared to the M3).

SO EXCITED!!!!!!

I had the last "good" M3, E46, first thing I did was replace every piece of the suspension, every bushing and the brakes........
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #26
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
I don't see a setting for the throttle in the infotainment settings. I see settings for steering, suspension, and exhaust note, but I do not see throttle.
You have to use the drive modes to set throttle feel, after setting everything else in the infotainment system.

I dislike it, because the drive modes will also affect the traction and stability control. Really wish there was a separate setting for throttle feel.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #27
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Yea I mis-worded my post. Sorry about that. Throttle only via the mode switch.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #28
TRZ06

Quote:
Yea I mis-worded my post. Sorry about that. Throttle only via the mode switch.
No worries. Can you direct me to the solid pucks from GMPP to tighten up the rear end on this car. I can't find the part# in the catalog.

Cheers

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06