Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
As long as we're all still just guessing, I'll go out on a limb and say the Z28, if it ever does happen, will be track car with a 5.5 like is the Corvette.R used in the American LeMans Series.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg_98ta View Post
If demand is strong for the ZL1, I would not be surprised if Chevy puts out a limited 'special edition' of some sort which could feature the the LS9 (similar to what Ford did with the GT500KR maybe?). They could build 5000 of them and charge an outrageous price and probably sell out in no time.

But if they build it, I doubt that it would be called Z28 - though I'm sure that moniker will be revived sometime in the future...
I doubt they'd be able to move 5000 of them at the price they'd need, given the fact that there would be a 550+ hp ZL1 available for around $50,000. Could they sell 500? Maybe, but then the price would have to go up again. They would have to go through all the testing and validation that they've done for the ZL1 again in order to bring it to market. And for what? If you want 600+ hp you can easily get that out of an LSA. If you're afraid of reaching the limits on the LSA, you could build up a motor of your choice and swap it in for less than the premium of the LS9 super Camaro + mods to get it to the power point you want.

The GT500KR is a GT500 thats been upgraded by Shelby, not a special production car off the Mustang assembly line. I put it in the same class as the cars you can get from Hennessey, Lingenfelter, SLP, and the others NOT what you can get from GM at a regular Chevy showroom.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
1981DFA

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I wonder if the heads from the ls9 will bolt up to the LSA? If so would this bring any kind of power increase or do you think that you would lose so reliability?

edit: and would you have to do anything to the cam or would the stock LSA cam hold up?
1981DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981DFA View Post
I wonder if the heads from the ls9 will bolt up to the LSA? If so would this bring any kind of power increase or do you think that you would lose so reliability?

edit: and would you have to do anything to the cam or would the stock LSA cam hold up?
It will hold up but what a lot of the guys with the cts-v were doing is swapping the LSA cam for an LS9 cam, which show some pretty good gains with virtually no effect of driveability
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If anything, the LSA is more reliable at its power rating than the LS9 is. In the story that GM provides on each engine, they mention the wide open throttle durability testing that each engine did. For the LS9 they say it went over 100 consecutive hours at wide open throttle. The LSA? Over 270 hours.
I've heard that to. As for modding the engines, I highly doubt the LSA would be able to take what the LS9 can with its forged internals. I've heard of a few guys that have blown up their LSA's on the CTS-V boards, but have yet to hear of anybody blowing up an LS9
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #20
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Likely the majority of forum members won't be racing enough to really tell the difference. The ZL1 will be so high tech performance designed that the only real place you might tell the difference would be in a highly technical timing event. But, not on the street IMHO.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #21
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blownSS View Post
I wouldn't go as far as saying the LS9 is BETTER than the LSA. More powerful yes, but better I don't think so. Each engine, for their power rating, is just as reliable and the LSA is even a tad more efficient. So it really depends what your definition of better is. If better to you is more powerful then yes LS9 is better than LSA, but the LSA is still a damn good engine.
Oh without a doubt it's better!
First of all they are essentially the same engine. It's just. That they take the LS9 further up the ladder
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
I've recently heard a rumor that the Z28 will have the LS9 as the top dog model of the Camaro line.

Now I can see why they call the LSA model as ZL1 and not Z28. They are saving that next bigger version against what Ford will be coming out.
....hmmmmm,....the plot thickens! I like the sound of that rumor....
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....hmmmmm,....the plot thickens! I like the sound of that rumor....
I like the sound of them selling the ZL1 for $1 ... doesn't make it any more likely to happen though
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #24
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
I like the sound of them selling the ZL1 for $1 ... doesn't make it any more likely to happen though
Oh, man!!!!! A dollar?????? I'll take 2
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #25
1981DFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
It will hold up but what a lot of the guys with the cts-v were doing is swapping the LSA cam for an LS9 cam, which show some pretty good gains with virtually no effect of driveability
What kind of gains are they seeing just doing the ls9 cam swap? I mean is it really worth the money spent to do it?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #26
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Likely the majority of forum members won't be racing enough to really tell the difference. The ZL1 will be so high tech performance designed that the only real place you might tell the difference would be in a highly technical timing event. But, not on the street IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Oh, man!!!!! A dollar?????? I'll take 2
hell, I'll buy one in each color, plus verts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981DFA View Post
What kind of gains are they seeing just doing the ls9 cam swap? I mean is it really worth the money spent to do it?
probably easier to do a pulley swap for more gain
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #27
1981DFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
probably easier to do a pulley swap for more gain
Hell i hope they put the ls9 cam in it from the factory or at least something similar. Is 100 crank hp increase possible with just a pulley swap?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I had this explained to me recently by Spike. It all depends on what you want. the worth of engine doesn't get 'better' just because the numbers and letters get higher.

Quote:
If anything, the LSA is more reliable at its power rating than the LS9 is. In the story that GM provides on each engine, they mention the wide open throttle durability testing that each engine did. For the LS9 they say it went over 100 consecutive hours at wide open throttle. The LSA? Over 270 hours.
THIS