Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Eriktampabay

Drives: 67 Camaro
1967 Camaro Original owner barn find.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle as my knowledge is very limited and I seek your advice and expertise.

The story goes an older gentleman of my neighbors passed away and low and behold in his garage was this car. From what I am told and what the paper work shows is he is the original owner. Numbers matching. I believe 1 repaint. Original sales receipt / protecto plate and all documentation. Rebuild of original motor that now has 80,000 miles on it also documented.

I contacted the son of the car a year ago and told him I was interested did one walk around and made an offer with out starting it. He said he would give me a call back. Never heard from him again.

A few days ago the daughter called me and said she was interested in selling it to me.

What are your thoughts Camaro experts? What is this car worth?

Thank you.
Eriktampabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Eriktampabay

Photos

Photos of the car. Comments really appreciated. Ignore that air filter.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
I'd be all over that, like a wet sheet !!!
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Eriktampabay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
I'd be all over that, like a wet sheet !!!
So tell me what do you see? What else do you guys see wrong or right in these photos? What questions should I be asking and things I should be looking for?

There is very minimal rust but I see some very minor pitting under the back window and a couple minor surface rust. I have read quite a few posts here on the forum about these minor rust issues underneath the windows that have turned into nightmares. Underneath looks decent as well as under the carpet.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
$12,500 but 10K would be a good deal. I am assuming it's as clean on the underside and the motor runs fine. It would be worth a heck of a lot more if it was an SS or Z/28 but clearly it is not.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
You could get this one for $500.00...

midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Eriktampabay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
$12,500 but 10K would be a good deal. I am assuming it's as clean on the underside and the motor runs fine. It would be worth a heck of a lot more if it was an SS or Z/28 but clearly it is not.
Underside from what I can see is clean. I can get the numbers off the block as well as the transmission with your guys assistance as I am not to sure where to look.

Here is the VIN on the drivers side door. 124377L129083

So I believe the way it breaks down is 8 CYL coupe From LA right?

I believe your offer is solid but with the paper work and being a original owner if I purchase it would I even sign it if I wanted to resell?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Eriktampabay

Yeah Midnighter.

Tried to reply to your post directly but was unable to so now I am $100.00 short on your listing above.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriktampabay View Post
Tried to reply to your post directly but was unable to so now I am $100.00 short on your listing above.
This thing is on e-bay, pretty sad actually. They probably pieced it together with several junked cars.

Anyway, that barn find in your post looks good. Solid, all there, and original.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Hylton

Quote:
Underside from what I can see is clean. I can get the numbers off the block as well as the transmission with your guys assistance as I am not to sure where to look.

Here is the VIN on the drivers side door. 124377L129083

So I believe the way it breaks down is 8 CYL coupe From LA right?

I believe your offer is solid but with the paper work and being a original owner if I purchase it would I even sign it if I wanted to resell?
Yes it is an original 8 cylinder LA car but even if the engine/transmission/rear end is original (very likely from what I see), it adds little because it is not a performance version.

The paperwork and original owner is also a plus but no Camaro collector I know cares about a car like this being original. Someone who buys this will either clean it up as best as possible and drive it or use it as the basis for an expensive street car.

Can you sell it for more than $12,500 if you clean it up? Definitely but looking at it quickly, you'll need to put lots of elbow grease and a minimum of $1,500 bucks into it. Is it really worth the trouble just to flip it and make a grand or two?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Eriktampabay

Ebay find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
This thing is on e-bay, pretty sad actually. They probably pieced it together with several junked cars.

Anyway, that barn find in your post looks good. Solid, all there, and original.
Looks like a winner. Ebay is not all bad. I bought a van from Trick my Truck TV Show off of ebay. The paint job was worth more than the van.

And thanks for you input. I think this might be my first restore.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
Eriktampabay

Good insight.

Quote:
Yes it is an original 8 cylinder LA car but even if the engine/transmission/rear end is original (very likely from what I see), it adds little because it is not a performance version.

The paperwork and original owner is also a plus but no Camaro collector I know cares about a car like this being original. Someone who buys this will either clean it up as best as possible and drive it or use it as the basis for an expensive street car.

Can you sell it for more than $12,500 if you clean it up? Definitely but looking at it quickly, you'll need to put lots of elbow grease and a minimum of $1,500 bucks into it. Is it really worth the trouble just to flip it and make a grand or two?
I see what your saying. I would put more money into it doing a frame off then getting anything out of it. Even flopping it as is the turn around is bad, as this car is in a remote location and costs for transportation to a new buyer adds up. However I think the joy in getting this restored might be fun for my family for the price.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
Hylton

Quote:
I see what your saying. I would put more money into it doing a frame off then getting anything out of it. Even flopping it as is the turn around is bad, as this car is in a remote location and costs for transportation to a new buyer adds up. However I think the joy in getting this restored might be fun for my family for the price.
Exactly. It would be tons of fun working on it and what needs to be done isn't difficult to do but at the end of the day, your effort is worth something and all the incidental costs add up. It would be a great car to clean up and enjoy for a few years knowing you can get your money back out of it once you are ready to move on. Just be careful not to get carried away on the clean-up or you'll end up with a half completed project and 10 grand in the hole.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
Eriktampabay

What about the engine?

Quote:
Exactly. It would be tons of fun working on it and what needs to be done isn't difficult to do but at the end of the day, your effort is worth something and all the incidental costs add up. It would be a great car to clean up and enjoy for a few years knowing you can get your money back out of it once you are ready to move on. Just be careful not to get carried away on the clean-up or you'll end up with a half completed project and 10 grand in the hole.
Incidentals Yikes. Yes I think this would be a daily driver for us. Paint is a must plus the incidentals not looking to mod. So I am hopping I can put $5000.00 into it and have a decent looking car.